Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking workouts on Charge 3

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On my Charge HR, I could press the button at the beginning and end of my workout at the gym (I go to a Circuit Fit class where we do many things including running, weights, burpees, etc), and the app would capture the stats during that time. I just got the Charge 3 and it doesn't seem to have that feature, and none of the pre-loaded exercise functions match what we are doing. I really liked to be able to see the impact of my workout - calories burned, steps, etc bundled like that. I would love for there to be an option just for exercise where it would just log the stats on the Charge 3. Thanks for considering this idea!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@LezAbs @scanetto

This video I made might help explain it as well. 

You need to go into your Fitbit app on your phone.  Then, click on the picture of your Charge 3 in the upper left-hand corner.  Next, select "Exercise Shortcuts".  Then, you'll need to swipe left on on one of the existing exercises to delete it.  Now, the "+ Exercise Shortcuts" should be in blue.  Tap that and it'll bring you to a list of exercises. 

You can delete more of the existing exercises to add the ones you want.  I always delete Swimming and Spinning and Interval and add things like Walk, Yoga, Weights, etc.  

Once you have your six favorite exercises programmed in the app, it'll sync back to your Charge 3 and the list will be updated for you to use.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
30 REPLIES 30

Welcome on board @Labrat44, it's nice to see you here! Choose from over 15 exercise types—including run, interval workout, swim, and yoga, to customize the app with your favorite workouts. If a specific exercise isn’t available, choose workout as your exercise type. 

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Account icon >  your device image.
  2. Tap Exercise Shortcuts.
  3. To add a new exercise shortcut, tap the + icon and select an exercise. 
  4. To remove an exercise shortcut, swipe left on a shortcut (on Windows 10, tap the trashcan icon).
  5. To reorder an exercise shortcut, press and hold a shortcut, then drag it up or down to change its position.
  6. Sync your device.

First, make sure the exercise you want to track is included in the Exercise app. Then, start the workout when you're ready.

1. On your tracker, open the Exercise app.
  2. Swipe left to find the exercise type.
  3. Tap the exercise to select it.
  4. Tap Start to begin the exercise, or Set Goal to choose a time, distance, or calorie goal, depending on the activity.
  5. Tap the middle of the screen to scroll through your real-time stats. On Charge 3, your progress toward your maximum heart rate is shown on an indicator next to your beats per minute.
  6. When you're done with your workout or want to pause, press the button. Note that if you set an exercise goal, Charge 3 vibrates and flashes when you reach the goal.
  7. To end the workout, press the button again and tap Finish. Swipe up to see your workout summary. Tap the check mark to close the summary screen.

For anything else you would like to see implemented in the future, consider visiting our Feature Suggestions board. This is a space where Community users can post features, ideas, and suggestions that they'd like to see in future Fitbit products, accessories, and software and top-voted suggestions get relayed to our product team for review. 

We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. 

Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps. 

Let me know if there's anything else I may assist you with.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

There are only six exercises available in the shortcuts menu on my Charge 3. Most of my workouts are studio-based such as HIIT, Barre, yoga, Pilates, Spin and CrossFit. I also play tennis and downhill ski. There does not appear to be a way to track these with my Charge 3 as it does not have the Workout option you mention above. Do I need to exchange it for a different model?

Best Answer

There are only six options available and you cannot add any from the screen you are describing. Are you sure you're giving us information on the Charge 3? 

Best Answer

@LezAbs @scanetto

This video I made might help explain it as well. 

You need to go into your Fitbit app on your phone.  Then, click on the picture of your Charge 3 in the upper left-hand corner.  Next, select "Exercise Shortcuts".  Then, you'll need to swipe left on on one of the existing exercises to delete it.  Now, the "+ Exercise Shortcuts" should be in blue.  Tap that and it'll bring you to a list of exercises. 

You can delete more of the existing exercises to add the ones you want.  I always delete Swimming and Spinning and Interval and add things like Walk, Yoga, Weights, etc.  

Once you have your six favorite exercises programmed in the app, it'll sync back to your Charge 3 and the list will be updated for you to use.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
Thank you!!!! This is amazing.
Best Answer
0 Votes
This is exactly what I needed - thanks so much!
Best Answer

Thank you! I never knew you could do this. Awesome!

Best Answer

When I am in the swim exercise mode and tap the middle of the screen, it does not display real-time stats such as HR.  Is that feature only available in certain exercise modes?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Once I complete a workout - where can I see the summary/stats on the app?

Best Answer

I am only speculating, but I would assume that in swim mode the HR is disabled because the sensor wouldn’t be able to accurately read HR under water. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, I cannot delete any. It says I can "ignore" an exercise, but when I save and go back to my account, the Fitbit app seems to forget that I've ignored those exercises. Additionally, I do not get the option of adding new ones.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t think this reply answered the question. How do you start recording your exercise using the Fitbit, rather than using your phone?  On Charge2, pressing the side button would start and stop recording. When I press the side button on Charge3 I get “Screen Wake” and ” Notifications”?  Can I change this to start and stop recording an exercise session?  I don’t want to carry my phone when exercising.

Best Answer

Ignore that last post.  I just realised that you can swipe the Charge3 screen to get features!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you explain where you found features?  I cannot figure out how to starting and stop workouts...I used to do it from my charge 2 on the fitbit itself.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good question. I've accidentally stopped many a workout so can tell you that it's done by hitting the side button twice. Hit it once to display workout stats and then again to "Finish" your workout. 

Best Answer
Swipe your actual Fitbit watchface from right to left. You should get a
screen saying “Exercise”. Tap on that screen to get a workout type, then
swipe again to get the type you want - eg “Walk”/ “run”. Tap the screen to
get a “Start” screen, then tap that screen twice to start the clock. Press
the side button to pause, or press it twice to get a “Finish” screen which
you tap to finish. I suspect this will be easy when we get used to it!
The difficult thing for me was realising that the Fitbit has a touch
screen! It’s fairly intuitive after you get that bit😊
Best Answer

What a pain! On the Fitbit charge HR all I had to do was press the button to start exercising. Now on the charge 3 you’re telling me I have to dig out my phone, go into the app, go through several gyrations to start my exercise logging?

That’s ridiculous... If I’m in the gym and my phone is locked up in a locker, that doesn’t work, nor do I want to have to go through all those steps when I used to be able to just push one button.

It is so stupid that you have removed that’s simple little feature that was so convenient. If I’m doing an active class the exercise may automatically log, but if I’m doing a class like Pilates or yoga I can’t find any way of logging it. 

if you have a good feature on a device, why in the world would you eliminated on the next generation? If I’d known this before I went to the charge 3, I might have reconsidered.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Alexadk snd a warm welcome.  I read your post because I noticed it is a newer post on an older thread.  I did not read every other post on this thread.

Trust me when I say that you do not have to dig out your phone to start or stop exercises.   Your Charge 3 has significant improvements over your Charge HR.  You will get better and more detailed information, but it will take more than one button.  Or in the case of SmartTrack (the auto recognized exercises), it will take no buttons at all.

First, SmartTrack will automatically track the following exercises: Walk, Run, Outdoor Bike, Elliptical , Sports, Aerobic Workout, and Swimming.  SmartTrack does not auto recognize yoga or Pilates.

The Exercise app gives much more detail than the start/stop from the Charge HR.  Yes, there is some set up involved, but you will be able to track your yoga and track your Pilates and those exercises will be named that way in your exercise details and you will get better details.

Here is a link you need -- How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit Device? This link also has the information you need to personalize your Exercise Shortcuts, so your yoga and Pilates are first and second on your list.

Yes, there are more steps using the Exercise app, but I am confident that you will like the improved details you get at the end.

You only need to have your phone with you if you are doing an exercise that has connected GPS.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello - after I posted this question, I found out how to do it on the
Fitbit. Swipe left on the home screen on the watch, which brings you to
several menus. 'Exercise' is one of the options. Tap it and then scroll
through the options. Tap to choose one, then tap start to start. It is
several more steps than the HR, but there are also more options. You can
change the types of workouts that are listed by using the app, but once you
do that, you can track your workouts on the watch.
Best Answer