Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need an Internet connection

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Took a while but I finally figured out that syncing to my android is actually broken. Unless I have an internet connection (data or wifi). 

This is really inconvinient. I spent lots of time off the grid outdoors, mountain .... And there is no connection to the interweb.

Why is Internet required? I just want t o sync with my cell and check out some of the vitals.

Is that what the fitbit is all about? What about those that are not blessed to have constant connection.

This is a serious design flaw! How long can I go without connectivity?

I have to think if the fitbit makes any sense for my lifestyle.

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
41 REPLIES 41

This was in reply to Kalimm. I'm not sure how this forum works yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I also don't see why BLE to phone isn't enough to get a synch done, but my issue is deeper: why does Fitbit need all my data and what is Fitbit doing with it?

Best Answer

@POORPOSSUM you can check out fitbit's comments on that via the link to their privacy policy at the bottom of this page.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Appreciate that you consent to data sharing when you use Fitbit.  Also appreciate that the data is used to give a better user experience etc, however you can't opt out of it I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong).  If all I want is to see my data locally, and not share, I can't.  Even if it would mean reduced insights, it's not offered.  It's an all or nothing model.

Best Answer

At the end of the day fitbit is just a fitness tracker. If you don't like the way it works or the agreements that it asks us to sign up to then you can choose to not use it. There are alternatives to fitbit and we managed quite well before fitness trackers were around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand.  You can say that about anything: if you don't like it, get out...  I guess a take away from this thread would be an enhancement request to have the phone to server synch detached from the sensor to phone synch.

Ps while I reluctantly give my bio data to the company and their 3rd party providers, I'm sure they are GDPR compliant and will be compliant across all of the US state wide data regs which are coming. I really like my Fitbit and I think the product (hardware and software) is great.

Pps are you a Fitbit employee?

Best Answer
0 Votes

There was a feature suggestion that proposed offline syncing:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Allow-Offline-syncing-Store-data-locally/idi-p/8...

But it seems it has been closed and rejected by fitbit.

I don't work for fitbit but I am on the Community Council - a group of volunteers that try to help out in the forums

Best Answer

Thanks for this.  It's pure conjecture, but I imagine that the health data is  extremely valuable to Fitbit so delaying the server upload would not benefit them much (even if there were other benefits to the user experience as outline in this thread).  Again, that makes sense for all of the additional insights we get .... without paying!

Best Answer
0 Votes
But we DO pay. Quite a lot of money for the FitBit as I recall. And I don't
find the "insights" particularly useful; all I wanted was an accurate step
& sleep tracker.
Best Answer

Fitbits are not exactly cheap. Plus I float the bill to upload the data to the fitbit server. Additionally I pay for the extra intake calories to energize my exercise. ;-))

Its all about usability, Do I care about what fitbit does with my data? Not really. I sure though like to look at "my" data when I am outdoors without cell service (which sometime are multiple days).  Would make the product so much better.

Best Answer

I dont want to pay to have Wifi at home as well as my phone provider so sadly for me now I will be looking for an alternative that will work with my phone I've had fitbit for years 

Best Answer

Well hey, it worked just fine for 7 months without internet. My Bluetooth works in my vehicle without internet. My speaker works in the woods and at the beach with no internet. Not happy. Could have purchased a cheap tracker watch for this level of service.

Best Answer

Agree. Mine worked very well without internet connection until Aug. 4, 2020. Kind of useless now. What happened? Would not recommend.

Best Answer

Does anyone know of a good alternative to fitbit that could work offline?

I live in Papua New Guinea. Wifi hasn't come to the country yet. Cell data is expensive, unreliable, and not available outside the cities.

I'm looking for something that can track heart rate and steps. Bonus if sleep monitoring can be included. 

Best Answer

Not true. I can connect my Samsung Galaxy S20 to other bluetooth devices such as speakers or my car without any wifi or data connection but not to my Sense.

Best Answer

According to Google: "Bluetooth devices do not require an internet connection"  So, its very frustrating when trying to bluetooth between a mobile phone - Fitbit Sense!  (or any other device for that matter)   However, I DO 'understand' that my Fitbit Sense would need Internet connection to function and therefore, then connect to my Samsung.   Is that any help to anyone?

Moderator  edit: format. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is not correct. Bluetooth can be standalone. It doesn't need and had never needed the internet. I have been designing and testing Bluetooth radios for years. Even as I am writing this I have several Bluetooth devices sending data back and forth with absolutely no internet connection. This is a problem/requirement is created by the Fitbit app, and it needs to be addressed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a design flaw. I should be able to sync without internet and just using bluetooth

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Fitibit101 and welcome to the Community.  Your Fitbit communicates with your phone using Bluetooth.  You need an internet connection to sync your data.  You sync your data with your Fitbit account.  Data isn't stored on your phone.

I can understand why you see this as a design flaw.  Fitbit has always required an internet connection to sync.  The first models only had computer set up and syncing.  The mobile app came later.  Fast forward to today and you can't sync with a computer.  But the sync is still to your account.  This design has been in place since 2009.  A major product overhaul is necessary to sync without an internet connection.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LZeeW From software engineering perspective, your last comment indicates that its not an agile design. Additionally, you have that in place since 2009, which in itself tells me that it needs an upgrade. Why cannot it let user sync data to app in phone at least and later send the data to server when internet connection becomes available?

Best Answer
0 Votes