Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't charge 3 record treadmill distance?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just got Fitbit few days ago and I'm enjoying it except for one aspect. 

I'm really trying to get into running and for the moment this is on the treadmill. The charge 3 won't record distance covered though. Even if I want to go in and edit the exercise to add the distance after the workout, the app will not allow it.

Is this standard or am I missing something? Obviously would like the distance to be tracked as I'm trying to build it up and it's a bit of a letdown if I have to track that on a separate app altogether... Any help appreciated, thank you! 

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

What activity are you recording it as?

Is it recording steps?

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

@Jamiec2205 - 

@JohnnyRow 's question is valid.

If you start a treadmill exercise via the Charge 3 exercise applet you should get something similar to the following when the exercise is complete:

On the FitBit app:

IMG_0059.png

On the web activity page:

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 3.44.36 PM.png

Both displays show the mileage in the header of the chart (.22 miles in the case of this short Treadmill Exercise app test I conducted in May).

If you did not use the Charge 3 Treadmill Exercise App and let the device auto-recognize the treadmill walk, it will consider it a "normal walk" and auto recognized walks do not calculate an estimated mileage as there is no GPS involved like an Exercise App Walk nor any expectation that the pace is constant like you would expect from a "treadmill walk".

I hope this helps - and welcome to the boards.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

In addition to @MrMarv 's good explanation, I asked if you were getting steps because,

if you were holding hand rail with fitbit wrist, you might not get steps recorded, and without steps, you won't get distance.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

@JohnnyRow  -

@JohnnyRow wrote:

In addition to @MrMarv 's good explanation, I asked if you were getting steps because,

if you were holding hand rail with fitbit wrist, you might not get steps recorded, and without steps, you won't get distance.

Now why didn't I think of that? Maybe having a Senior Moment or possibly too long in the sun monitoring my 3-year old Grandson's bike riding today.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jamiec2205 your tracker, while on a treadmill will not be able to measure distance. It will count your steps and use your stride setting to take an educated guess on the step count. 

The first thing to check will be the steps counted. 

Best Answer

@MrMarv @JohnnyRow Thanks guys for the replies. 

OK, on day one I didn't select the specific treadmill exercise via the app as I presumed that auto recognition would track distance too - I am getting step count yes but not distance (3 tabs from the exercise - Heart rate, Calories, Impact) as below 

However, if I want to go in and Log Exercise (Exercise tab -> Timer in top right hand corner -> Tracking) the only options I have are for Run, Walk or Hike & no other list/dropdown appears.

I tried this yesterday as Run but obviously as it's not outdoors distance appearing as 0.. Or do I have to go in afterwards and edit? 

Here is a screenshot of what I'm seeing!

Really appreciate the help folks. Apparently technology is not my strong suit! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

1,  The pictures did not come through.  Use the "Photos" icon just above the text entry box.

2.  When you say you are not getting distance, I gather you mean it does not show the distance field, rather than getting distance of 0.

3.  I assume distance on daily total is increasing, just not showing in exercise summary.

4. I, personally, discourage logging an activity  other than for when you were not wearing a tracker.  It generally leads to confusion.

5.  I find it more reliable to track exercise through the exercise app, starting and stopping it manually, instead of counting on SmartTrack auto-recognize for anything other than a simple walk.  That way, you can be sure it gets categorized correctly and starts and stops at the correct time.

6.  See How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?

Best Answer

Hello @Jamiec2205 Auto detection of walk and run(without gps) will not give a distance.

Using Run with GPS while running in a stationary spot or indoors, where GPS will not work, will confuse Fitbit. 

Of course the Running mode, with GPS disabled may be used, but it would be better to use the manual activity called Treadmill. Treadmill is the same as run or walk but without GPS. @JohnnyRow posted a link to the FAQ and the second question explains how to add an exercise. 

Best Answer

I agree, it’s really annoying. The strange thing is that it did in early March when I bought mine. However it doesn’t now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If the charge 3 is counting steps, then distance will be noted. 

If the user has setup their stride correctly, for the speed they are going at. Then distance will be accurate. 

If steps are not being counted correctly, then Fitbit will not have the data needed to take a guess on the distance. 

Treadmill is not able to be auto detected, one needs to manually start the treadmill mode on their wrist. 

No the Fitbit app can not be used to record a treadmill run. 

Best Answer

I start the exercise treadmill but I do not see the milage as shown on your pic. What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot_20230611_201354.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Marjan_isabroad and welcome to the Community.  If you are comparing your screenshot to @MrMarv's, your screenshot is the Android app view of the Exercise Details.   His is the iOS view.  I'm not sure why they are so different, but there are other features with display differences.  I also use an iPhone, so I can't tell you where to find it on your app.

I also want to add some information that was shared by a moderator.  Fitbit uses your walk stride length on the treadmill shortcut.  When you run on your treadmill, she recommends using the Run shortcut with GPS off.  Then your run stride length is used.  Make sure GPS is off or you will go nowhere.  If you mix speeds and inclines, don't expect the Fitbit distance to match the treadmill distance.  The treadmill reports the belt distance and your stride length will vary with different speeds and inclines.

Laurie | Maryland
Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes