Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't track stairs

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
My fitbit charge has stopped tracking my stairs activity. I take the stairs several times a day at work and I also live on the second floor in my apartment building. I never take the elevator but my fit bit isn't counting the flights of stairs I climb daily.
Stella L.B.W.
Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Thank you @Stellabella43

Looks like the altimeter sensor is broken..

Feel free to contact the Fitbit Support Team (Click / Tap here to contact)

Optionally check out Returns & Warranty before contacting support.

Mention what you've already tried to speed things up.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
I called support and did a reset. It appears to be working properly now.
Stella L.B.W.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

That's mysterious @Stellabella43

Feel free restarting the tracker:

Restart the tracker

URL: Click / Tap to open the Fitbit Help Article 'How do I restart the tracker?'

Optionally check out the Fitbit article:

URL: How does my tracker count floors?

Best Answer
I did reset it and it's still not tracking stairs  

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note5.
Stella L.B.W.
Best Answer

Thank you @Stellabella43

Looks like the altimeter sensor is broken..

Feel free to contact the Fitbit Support Team (Click / Tap here to contact)

Optionally check out Returns & Warranty before contacting support.

Mention what you've already tried to speed things up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did restart...still not tracking

Stella L.B.W.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had the same trouble today. It's been working for the last few weeks. Monday I hit 75 floors (noticed after 11pm when I was already in bed that I had 74 floors so I pulled some clothes on and ran outside to run up and down the stairs to the 2nd floor apartments and got my 76 floors). Yesterday I had 80+ floors. And today at break in the morning I ran up and down stairs (outside) for 10 minutes (about 70 steps each way). When I got back to my desk I noticed that it registered 49 floors. I think that was probably about 10 more than it should have, but at lunch I went back...wanted to get 100 floors today! But 10 minutes later I noticed that it wasn't registering any! After almost an hour of running up and down the stairs I had a lot of steps, but no more floors. Came back to my desk and reset / restarted by Charge, and tried again at break a few minutes ago. Still nothing. It's stuck on 49 for the day. 😞 I'll try again tomorrow and see if it "fixes" itself. If not, I'll call support... Disappointing!

Best Answer
I called support and did a reset. It appears to be working properly now.
Stella L.B.W.
Best Answer

Hi @Stellabella43. I am glad that the floor counting functionality is now restored, following a successful restart of your Fitbit Charge. It is important to know however that floors will only get counted if the change in elevation is at least 10 feet and the ascent is uninterrupted. In our house for example, we have a two-tier staircase; and if I happen to pause, even for just a second, at the half way landing, odds are that the floor won't register. Just thought I'd pass this on. Keep up the good work! Fitbit is all about instilling permanent changes in activity levels and dieting, no matter what the count is! So as long as you stay active, you're definitely on the winning side right! Cheers!

TW

Best Answer

I did the restart and it worked for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone! Here are some tips to improve the floors accuracy 

- You need to make sure you are going up 10 feet in elevation for it to record a floor.

- Restart you tracker in order to refresh the internal logs this helps to improve the accuracy, make sure to follow the instructions that @AlejandraFitbit shared. 

Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors being counted. This happens if the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your tracker becomes temporarily blocked with sweat or water. We recommend that your tracker be worn loosely during exercise. 

Welcome to the Community @MikeMFT! It's great to hear that your tracker is working properly Robot Very Happy

Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can find some fitness tips, recipes and more! Give it a look!

Catch you later! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

I have that problem all the time. I even run up and down them like a demon possessed 4 times and it will only record maybe 2. I'm sure it has caused me to have pain in my neck due to the frustration of it. I have even thrown it down the stairs to see if it would count the stairs. Sadly no it didn't. Lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

@georgehall Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Your tracker will count one stair when you go up 10 feet in elevation. I recommend performing a restart on your Charge (check @AlejandraFitbit's post). Also, you can try cleaning the altimeter hole (sensor that tracks floors) that is the small opening that is on the right side of your tracker (at the other side of the button). Sometimes it may get dirty with dust or blocked by sweat and that will prevent floors from being tracked. 

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

I am having the same problem. Tried all the fixes suggested. It's frustrating this is still happening in 2018. Is there even a real fix?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gmare wrote:

I am having the same problem. Tried all the fixes suggested. It's frustrating this is still happening in 2018. Is there even a real fix?Try the restart say 3 times and try syncing in between the restarts. 

Hello @Gmare and @All

Try a restart say 3 times and try syncing in between the restarts. 

Restart your FitBit

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186

Restart your Fitbit Charge
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JPvdDoWGckM

Try the factory rest a few times if the above doesn't work 

Factory reset

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1606

Community Council Member

ALAN | VAN,B.C. Canada Community Council Member

Versa, Charge, Charge HR, Ionic, Ace, Aria 2 scale, Flyer headphones - iOS

Click here Fitbit help for more solutions

>Contact
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for this suggestion. I will try this one too. I will post a follow up.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Try keeping your cell phone in your pocket or near the FitBit...mine only tracks steps id the phone is close enough to sync

Best Answer
0 Votes