Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workout Modes like Weights and Workout--- What's the use?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've been playing with the workout modes, mostly walking, spinning, weights and workout.

I've had some issues, like accidentally hitting the button and pausing the mode. So mostly I just do the workout and come in later and log the activity.

Some of the modes, like walking, make sense to me, while others, like weights I don't really understand why they exist. I've tried using the workout mode

Walking mode is cool because it does things like pace and with gps generates a map of the route. I get it. But weights mode as far as I can tell, isn't providing anything other the standard heart rate/calorie count that the fitbit tracks anyway. If the tracker is looking at arm swinging patterns for weights or areobics, why, since everything's tied to heart rate anyway?

What am I missing? It's hard to believe that some of the workout modes only exist because the icons are cool. When measuring excercise like bike or running, distance and pace, the modes are completely useful. But with aerobics/weights/mma I'm not seeing the point. What am I missing?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

This feature is added so that you have a record of what exercise was done.

Now with any type of exercise there is nore to ut than steps, we have time, calories and active minutes.

Fitbit uses the calorie count as a base betweem the different type of exercises, especially the none stepping ones.

The best way to ise the tracker for exercises not on the Charge 2 is to use workout mode. Then after a sync, the type can be changed through an edit. Currently this is only possible when tecording as a workout.

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply. It brings up a confusion I have about these modes. Let me give two scenarios:

1) I choose Weight exercise mode, and then perform my weight training workout. During this, I can see calories burned, time elapsed, heart rate, etc. When I sync up, it automatically logs an activity in the dashboard where I can view these statistics. Right?

2). I go and perform the workout as above without using exercise mode. I take note of when I started and ended the workout, then go into the dashboard afterwards and manually log the activity. Then I can see time elapsed, heart rate, calories for that session, the same as in #1.

So my question is, what did I gain in scenario #1 that #2 doesn't provide, other than seeing the calories burned, etc in real time? See what I'm saying? I don't see much of a difference between the two methods. 

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wanted to add onto your question in hopes that someone may have a logical answer for this.

I've used both ways to record exercise for workout, weights, run, and treadmill. When using the real time tracking, I get more detailed information about my workout afterwards than if I just add it in via the app. For example, if I add in the workout manually, the dashboard is then unable to detect during which parts of my workout I was consuming more calories and I just get a straight horizontal line graph. Since the Fitbit it measuring my heart rate at all times anyway, shouldn't that information be available even if I put it in later?

Additionally, the calorie count seems to be drastically different for the two options when all other factors stay more or less the same. Which one is more accurate?

Best Answer

I would imagine that the difference  between calories depends on workout. Though the heart rate may be similar, different types of exercise use more or less calories. Eg.  Heart rate for weights may not go too high but big compound lifts use lots of calories,  And unlike aerobic exercises like running, you continue to burn calories for some time after doing weights.

Best Answer

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to doing the same workout with the manual input and with the button option. Clearly it could vary because it's a different day and my heart rate is not exactly the same, so I would not expect the exact same result, but I would expect them to still be quite similar.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's better to log exercise through the tracker. Tracking through the app is made for when you don't have the fitbit with you.

Dave | California

Best Answer

I feel like your question is like saying "Why automate something when you can do it manually?" The fact is, there are two ways to do it, choose your favourite 🙂

Best Answer

With some exercises Fitbit may give up to 5 ways to log. Not to add that apps like Strava can also be used. 

A auto detect has its drawbacks. My not catch the right start and stop times. Pause to long and it gets recorded as 2 exercises, and no distance is recorded. 

As you say, the user has choices. 

Best Answer
0 Votes