Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting steps while driving

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

as I’m typing this on my phone in the back of an Uber .. the step count is going up. 

Not cool. 

Any tips?!

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
91 REPLIES 91

I’ve had my inspireHR for two months now, immediately noticed it was counting steps when I’m not active. Most annoying is the driving count - I am freelance so make short journeys to clients a couple of times a day. Each 15 minute trip counts about 500 steps. Usually on the motorway or A roads so no altitude or bumps. I sometimes manually add a “driving” activity which cancels out the phantom steps but that’s not an acceptable long term solution to the problem. I’m also not going to take the tracker off when I get into the car as I’ll forget to put it back on. Other fun auto exercise tracking: ten minutes of “swimming” when drying hair with a hairdryer, 100 or so steps per hour when sitting working. I have it set to dominant hand even though I wear the device on my left hand and I’m right handed. Overall, the device is not at all fit for purpose. Just needs a “don’t count” button, seems pretty simple to me! 

Best Answer
Yeah I wonder when they will give a proper answer that they acknowledged the problem.
Best Answer
The only reply I got was to change setting to dominant arm but keep on none dominant arm

Thank you

John A.
Best Answer
0 Votes

All these messages here and NO fix from FitBit engineers. My conclusion is throw them in the garbage and never but one again. Get a pedometer.

Best Answer

Got an Inspire (not HR) this week. And 2K steps added to a 45 min drive. This

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got my Inspire (not HR) this week as replacement for a 2 yr old Charge. In a 45 min drive, my tracker on the Inspire added 1500 steps. My old Charge never did that. The reason I purchased Fitbit 

Best Answer

I drive on dirt roads to and from work, so was getting roughly 1000 steps in a half hour drive! i discovered this morning that if you charge the fitbit it doesn't count anything, so if your able to maybe charge it while driving. i have no idea what long term effect this will have on the battery though...

Best Answer

I just realize that my Fitbit is counting driving as steps.The road Can be rough or smooth, it doesn’t matter. This is my first Fitbit. Despite what I have read, the amount is not insignificant, it is registering Is registering about 500 steps for 5 miles. How do I  stop this; I drive about 100 miles a day or more, so I see this as a significant problem.

Best Answer

Please add a driving mode instead of making everyone manually log it...

I just bought mine 2 days ago and it's registering so much steps while driving it's ridiculous.

Or atleast make the step counter possible to turn off.

Best Answer

I drove to work, roughly 20 minutes and my fitbit inspire added almost 2000 steps to my count. I tried to edit this in the iphone app with no luck. The instructions did not match up with the iPhone app menus. Please help. I want accuracy not extra steps.

Best Answer

I’m having similar problems. My Fitbit flex 2 will log 4,000 steps while riding motorcycle. It’s a highway but some of it is bumpy. Speeds are 60-80mph. I ride a 2005 road king, pretty smooth bike.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I drove over 800 miles yesterday. My Fitbit was in my backpack. It registered over 19,000 steps. So that's nonsense.

Best Answer

I drive a stick shift truck in heavy SoCal traffic.... It counts a very large number of steps each trip I take.

I created an activity called driving, because this WAS NOT an activity I could select.  It did NOTHING to remove the mystery steps.  I am extremely dissatisfied with this new product.  I will seek my money back, but if fitbit has no desire to resolve this problem, it is like $125 down the drain.  

Best Answer

I purchased Inspire HR just 2 days before and noticed it is counting an excessive number of steps.

last night I put it on the table and in the morning when I checked it, it showed 230 steps. Crazy. 

I am here while checking this issue.

I would not have purchased it if I saw this board before.

Probably return back this purchase and get a new one is the only solution.

Best Answer

Submitted as a new Post.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ive been walking all day and it hasn't calculated a single step

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just downloaded the fitbit app to my Android. 1 day and apparently i havent taken a single steo

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you also buy a Fitbit device? I don’t think the app counts steps if you’re not wearing a device 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update to my post: the latest update (August 2019) to the app and device magically seems to have sorted the driving issue. Shame no one at Fitbit bothered to explain that in their many support emails or to anyone in this forum! If it was a known bug they shouldn’t have launched the product to market! Device still counting activity as “swimming” for things like drying my hair and a bit of light gardening though....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I’ll try again but I think when in my pocket it still counts steps.

Modifica del moderatore: informazione personale

Best Answer
0 Votes