Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting steps while driving

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

as I’m typing this on my phone in the back of an Uber .. the step count is going up. 

Not cool. 

Any tips?!

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
91 REPLIES 91

I am a mailman and this is my first day using the versa watch.  Its counting steps while i am driving the mail truck.  I am in and out of truck all day.. If i have to manually delete driving....i have to send this thing back

Best Answer

Hello everybody and welcome to the Fitbit Community. Sorry for the delayed response.

I regret to hear that your Fitbit Inspire HR is counting steps while driving. At the moment, we recommend manually logging a Driving activity in order to negate the extra data. For more information, please visit this article.

Please make sure that you don't select the "Activity record button" when logging the activity from the website. Otherwise, your steps won't be negated.

@Rajendra2019 If your Fitbit Inspire HR is recording steps while not in use, please verify if there is any electrical appliance nearby that could issue vibrations that could be registered as steps by your Fitbit device.

@Pidhirney If your Fitbit device is still not counting your steps, please perform a restart by following these steps.

@Sarahlou15, If you haven't done it already, please try to wear your device on the other wrist while drying your hair to see if this resolves the issue.

You are welcome to join the request called Driving App on the Feature Suggestion board. Once any update be available it will be communicated as soon as possible.

If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact us back at any time.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a fitbit Alta hr. on the 7 minute drive to work it kept announcing my step count. By the time I got there I had 13,000 steps. I have looked on the net and the only thing I found asks me to log it under driving. This is not an option as the only activity that comes up is steps. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

Probably never. That would be why the thing was on Sale. I will be returning mine today as a defective product. They have the nerve to call this problem solved? Really. by making customers manually remove steps. If I wanted to just guess my steps I would not have bought this piece of junk. Back to JB I go.

Best Answer

@Wyrdafit Welcome to the Fitbit Community. Sorry for the delayed response.

I regret to hear that your Fitbit Alta HR didn't work for you. Thank you for your feedback. Our team is constantly working to improve our products and services and appreciate all the comments from Fitbit users.

Feel free to visit the Community at any time.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Best Answer

HI! Thank you for the explanation but cannot agree to the fullest as I was in a back seat of a Skoda Octavia , driving to Wien on a highway which is not bumpy and there were still steps adding on!? As the guy said - not cool!!

Best Answer

I have had a Fitbit for about 4 months, free from work as part of a health improvement program.  It is a Fitbit Inspire.  I just noticed today that the device logs driving as steps?!  I cannot believe I just noticed this.  I drove 9 miles and it logged 355 steps.  Sooo disappointing. How do I change the settings to log steps only.  Walking.  I do not run or job.  I can't even find "Settings" on the  app.  I checked only "Steps" not "Distance" on the set up and it is logging  distance, clearly.   Guidance?? Otherwise I might chuck the think and find a more reliable device out there.

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer

So, if I understand your post, the only option I have to remove driving on smooth surfaces, not "bumpty surfaces," btw....is to manually go in and deduct my driving time every single day?  When the bells and whistles go off on my wristband each day cause I have met my 10,000 step goal, I realize now it has been counting my 90 minute round trip commute to work....or 30 mins round trip to grocery store as "steps."  Not good.  If the only way I can stop this device from tracking driving as steps is to do the daily manual correction -- this may not be the health assist device that is a good fit for me.  I have a "Fitbit Inspire"  - can you confirm the way to delete the automatic conversion of driving as steps.  BTW, I live in Los Angeles -- so you can imagine how much driving is a part of every, single, day.  Thank you,

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer

i havent worn mine in a week or 2. Being a mailman and driving around all day....this thing counts steps while driving. Worthless to me.  Bought it off HSN. Too late to send back. Btw ...i did switch it to left wrist and set it on dominant mode.  Still counts my drive into work. Stupid. Thought theses things went iff gps....not arm movement

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. I wish i could return mine.  Thought the technology changed over the years.  Arm movement?   

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just put mine in the trash after recorded 822 steps between driving and just sitting on my kitchen counter. I’m done. Just ordered a plain straightforward well reviewed pedometer. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

IMPORTANT WARNING: This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation.
Best Answer
The only definitive way I have found to address this is to charge my Fitbit
while driving; it will not register steps while it is being charged. Kind
of a pain, but effective

Fitbit has posted its solution: Determine the amount of overage in steps
and then, some how, subtract them from your count.

Easy! Right? No, not easy and ridiculous. Try them both, see which one is
easiest for you.
I"ll bet I win.
Best Answer

Hello everybody. Thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community and thank you for your comments. Sorry for the delay in my response.

At the moment, there is actually no setting to make a Fitbit device to log steps only.

If you haven't done it already, you can set your wrist as non-dominant. This setting decreases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any over counting of steps when your body is not moving. You can find this option if you go online to fitbit.com > Settings > Devices > Wrist. Please make sure to sync everytime you make a change to your Fitbit account.

@Benton1991 You can find the settings on the Fitbit app if you tap the Today tab clipboard_image_1.png, and tap your profile picture. Your device is listed at the top. Tap your device image to open your device settings, or scroll down for your account settings.

In order to negate extra steps you can follow these instructions.

If you need assistance, please let us know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EdsonFitbit from other comments on this and other threads (and my personal experience) changing the setting to dominant wrist and wearing the device on the non dominant wrist DOES NOT produce satisfactory results in regards to counting steps while driving. 

So far the only way I have found to stop the device counting steps while driving is to charge the device in my vehicle. This is NOT an appropriate solution as not everyone would have the facilities to charge a device in their vehicle and also the device is easily forgotten, meaning it can sit in a vehicle all day not counting the steps actually taken.

The instructions you have linked to, to log a manual driving activity, might be ok for a person who only occasionally drives. However they would not be appropriate for someone who drives fairly often (to and from work for example) and would definitly not be appropiate for someone who's job is to drive (e.g. truck driver, mailman)

Can you please confirm that fitbit is in the process of developing something that will ensure steps are not counted when driving. Please also confirm a timeframe as to when us as customers can expect to see this update. This is clearly an ongoing, widespread issue so I sincerely hope fitbit are working to rectify this issue. 

I hope you can understand how this is a very serious issue and for a lot of people makes the device completely unusable. 

Best Answer

@cmegs Thanks for your questions. Sorry for the delayed response.

If there is in the future any release about this topic, it should be communicated on the Feature Suggestion called Driving App. At the moment, there is no timeframe that we can provide. For information about how Fitbit decides what Feature Suggestions are released, please visit this article.

If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is marked solved? Really? My Fitbit keeps giving me credit for exercising.... when I'm sitting at my desk at work! And it claims I'm bicycling or running for miles (really fast) when I drive. This is the least accurate Fitbit I have ever owned. You need to fix it, not try to make us do a dumb work around that isn't feasible.

Best Answer

Got mine off HSN.   Will fitbit take it back?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@aubieangel Welcome to the Fitbit Community. Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you for your feedback about the steps recorded while driving. Our team is constantly working to improve the Fitbit products and services. Once any update be available, it will be communicated as soon as possible.

@Joekool40 Thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community.

In order to review the warranty of your product, it is necessary contacting Customer Support. Please let me know if you would like me to create a case with them to provide more information about this topic. You can see the Fitbit Warranty on this site.

Please let me know if you have any question.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes... I want to return it
Best Answer

@Joekool40 Thanks for your confirmation.

I created a case with Customer Support. Please check your inbox on the next days. They will provide assistance to you as soon as possible.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes