Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take into account elevation ? HR.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I had a mapmyrun app installed pre fitbit. It measured my run at 550 calories and took into account elevation on my samsung a 40.

Fitbit measures the same run as 500 cals. It's an uphill/downhill run. 

I take it the difference is down to fitbit not taking into account elevation ?

I have an inspire HR with the latest Fitbit app and fitbit premium.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@dbee01   We are all slower going up steep hills.  😉   The Inspire HR doesn't have a relative altimeter in it.  I haven't used an Inspire HR for tracking exercise, but my Versa 2 and Charge 4 show elevation change on the web view of the exercise details.

MapMyRun uses elevation because it doesn't capture heart rate.  Fitbit doesn't need elevation because it has heart rated based algorithms.  The important thing is that trying to compare these two methods of estimating calorie burn is like comparing apples to oranges.  Under Armour stakes its reputation on using elevation change and Fitbit uses heart rate based algorithms.  My background is applied physiology and I tend to favor heart rate based algorithms.  In the end, these are estimates.  You can judge the numbers based on your perceived exertion.   If you feel like MapMyRun is better for you, then go with that.  Good luck!

BTW, did you know that you can link your MapMyRun app to Fitbit?  They are compatible apps.  See more here. 

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@dbee01  I'm confident that the difference comes from the different algorithms used to calculate calorie burn.  This article from MapMyFitness Support says that heart rate isn't taken into account.  Fitbit uses heart rate based algorithms for calculating calorie burn.  Fitbit does "take" elevation into account in that your heart rate will be faster to keep the same pace running uphill.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks @LZeeW 

only problem is though. i don't keep the same pace running up steep hills. I'm a good bit slower. 

fitbit tracks my pace and tells me i'm slower on the uphill section of the map. but if it doesn't track elevation, it just thinks i've slowed down and doesn't take into consideration the elevation factor in calorie burn.

This is a problem. If i had to guess, i'd say that the mapmyrun app is closer to the calorie burn amount than the fitbit app.

I don't see any elevation figure listed in fitbit app or online dashboard. I take it fitbit doesn't record elevation then ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dbee01   We are all slower going up steep hills.  😉   The Inspire HR doesn't have a relative altimeter in it.  I haven't used an Inspire HR for tracking exercise, but my Versa 2 and Charge 4 show elevation change on the web view of the exercise details.

MapMyRun uses elevation because it doesn't capture heart rate.  Fitbit doesn't need elevation because it has heart rated based algorithms.  The important thing is that trying to compare these two methods of estimating calorie burn is like comparing apples to oranges.  Under Armour stakes its reputation on using elevation change and Fitbit uses heart rate based algorithms.  My background is applied physiology and I tend to favor heart rate based algorithms.  In the end, these are estimates.  You can judge the numbers based on your perceived exertion.   If you feel like MapMyRun is better for you, then go with that.  Good luck!

BTW, did you know that you can link your MapMyRun app to Fitbit?  They are compatible apps.  See more here. 

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes