Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane Mode?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will this device have an airplane mode of sorts? Ability to disable wifi or bluetooth in circumstances where we don't want it enabled. Ex. Some office workplaces have banned such devices due to what they feel could be interference. Some users also believe there could be health risks. 

Appreciate any information on this. 

Thanks, 

JT

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38
Fitbit does not seem interested in adding this "feature". I'm already
looking for my next watch, which will be made by a different company and
will have airplane mode.
Best Answer
Yeah, they don't care at all. Last time I was pushing for this to be added
the thread was locked. I have since been doing my best to discourage anyone
I know from purchasing anything they make.
Best Answer

If it's switched off will it still collect data?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@IASB , if you have a Fitbit that can be switched off, it will not collect data when off.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Julia

If it is off will it collect data locally?? Which can subsequently be
synced with iOS when it is switched on??

Iwona
--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@IASB , no, a Fitbit that is turned off cannot collect any data, just like any other device that is turned off will not function!

If you would like it to collect data but not sync, then you can either turn off your phone (or whatever device you use to sync) or turn off Bluetooth on your phone (etc.)

If your phone is on airplane mode your Fitbit will not sync but will continue to collect data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd like to turn off all communications while sleeping on the alta hr

Best Answer

You can't turn it off. I wrote to them like almost 2 years ago and they didn't replay. Then when I had to choose a new watch, I simply decided to go for another company, as it has flightmode and still collects all the data. I am never turning back, even thou I like fitbits sleep tracking, but its so much more important for me to have flight mode, to turn the connections off while I sleep.

So I suggest you do the same, there where so many new models since then and nothing changed about that.

Best Answer
Thanks for the heads up.

I haven’t yet found anyone who offers this feature in the UK.

Are you able to share which manufacturer you bought in the end?

--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope its ok to mention here but I decided on G.armin watch, I have forunner 245 music, it has flight mode, I know fenix from them also has it, and vivoactive 4 doesn't have flight mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for letting me know. I will investigate.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Ameetk  and @IASB , if your issue is you want to be able to sleep with your Fitbit (in order for it to collect your sleep data) but you do not want to receive communications from it, then that is no problem.  You can simply set your phone to quiet hours.  The Fitbit resoects quiet hours, amd you will not get any alerts, messages, etc.  It will also automatically turn off "quick view" (so it will not light up when you raise your wrist).

As mentioned above, it is not possible to turn off bluetooth on the Fitbit itself.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitness trackers, cellphones, or anything with bluetooth are considered national security risks at the national laboratories across the country and banned, do to their potential to be hacked and access classified information.  Truly a shame there isn't a way to turn it off ☹

Best Answer

I was literally buying the sense today, and I saw this, ill pay more to other brand with same specs and offline mode or wait until this is implemented.

Best Answer

Guess ill spend another hour finmding that brand, I would pay less for good quality like this fibit but the offline mode without active RF is a deal breaker.

Best Answer

We want to be able to stop the wifi bluethoot until we want to sync or data, no need to have it always on.

Best Answer

Agreed! We want the ability to turn off the WiFi and Bluetooth radios until we want to sync. ESPECIALLY FOR OR IN A HOUSE WITH KIDS!!!

Best Answer

Mostly for military personnel not really anyone else and it also depends on what they do

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree - I will not be purchasing a Fitbit due to lack of Airplane mode. 

I've read a lot of Fitbit staff and others saying these watches have low EMF/RF - but having a device so close to my head every night (for many months on end) seems like a bad idea, even if the watch has "low emission" 

It's a shame because I wanted to track my sleep in order to improve my health... but having emissions attached to my body while I track my sleep for health reasons is simply ironic, even if it's low.

As soon as I see Fitbit release a model or update with optional airplane mode - I will buy it immediately (a Charge, specifically). The sleep tracking is apparently one of the most accurate across a lot of Fitbits.

Does anyone know if Fitbit can release an update that will enable existing watches to use airplane mode? or will that feature have to exist only in new models? 

Best Answer