Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS issues on Android devices - potential workaround

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is part of the message I wrote to a fellow community member re connected GPS issues on Android devices. There's a potential workaround, but I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone.

Starting with Android N or O , more stringent control over processes using GPS have been introduced. The issue is with Google Play services hogging resources and draining battery. So, basically what Android does now is it kills the processes that use GPS after some time. It seems to happen only for 3rd party apps like Fitbit, Strava, MapMyHike, All Trails etc., and not for native Google apps like Maps. Android kills these processes even if they're in the foreground. Fortunately, there's a workaround. You need to make sure the app is "locked" in the background. This way Android knows it's not supposed to kill it. Here's what I do:

1. Before my hike I make sure my versa can sync without issues. No sync - no GPS.

2. Open Fitbit mobile app.

3. Tap Android home button.

4. Tap Android recent apps button to open the drawer with currently running apps.

5. In the top right corner of each app you should see a little padlock. Normally it's in unlocked position.

6. Tap on the padlock to lock the app.

Note: for Samsung devices, please see @Srikanta post here.

Note 2: please make sure Fitbit mobile app is not being optimized by Android. In battery settings under optimization, Fitbit app should be marked as not optimized

It seems to work for me. I was able to track numerous hikes with maps and everything. Don't worry if your versa loses GPS connection at some point. It will reestablish it. Also, losing connection doesn't impact GPS tracking as it is not performed by versa but Fitbit mobile app itself. Versa just initializes the process.

Hope that helps. I will post a picture in a separate post as Fitbit takes time to approve posts with pics.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

@Couliepj As explained in several posts earlier, some of us have issues with losing GPS connection. That's a potential workaround for them. The inaccuracy is entirely different issue and has to be addressed by a software update.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes
Exactly my point- it looses connection and hence the readings are
inaccurate
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Couliepj I'm afraid I do not remember what OS you're on (or phone model for that matter), but at least in my case GPS connection was lost due to Android killing it. I know it's been an issue with devices such as OnePlus or Nokia. I had no issues with GPS tracking ever since. Sorry it didn't work in your case. Good luck!

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi @Marrrmaduke. May i know which Android phone you are currently using. Im looking forward to get an Android phone meself.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mhdazlan I'm a big fan of OP (OnePlus). I'm still using OP3T. Both OP6T (the newest OP phone) and new Pixel phones are lovely devices, and both are running Android Pie. There are compatibility issues between Fitbit Versa and Android Pie, mainly re notifications. I am sure they will be addressed with an update sooner rather than later, but just a heads-up. Side note, OP6T will cost you probably half the price of Pixel XL. More or less. 😋

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks... So it is better to get phones in the compatibility list... To make both investments (phone and watch) worthwhile...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mhdazlan How to answer that question and not step on the mine... haha... The fact that a phone is not on the supported devices list doesn't mean it won't work with Versa. It means it hasn't been tested yet. You can search this forum if people are encountering any compatibility issues for your phone model of choice. Honestly, I would choose a good phone because it is an investment at least for 2 years. Both OP and Pixel (if you're fan of Android) are good choices. Any new phone now is already running (or will be pretty soon) Android Pie. But to answer your question, if you can find the device you like that is on the compatibility list (perhaps one of Samsung then?), then that would be a way to go.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Marrrmaduke,

Hope you can help me with the issue of Fitbit Versa losing GPS connection. I've read your previous replies about locking the Fitbit app on the phone however I can't find a away to do it. I used to have the Oneplus phone but recently I changed to the Xiaomi - which is very similar but I can't find a way to lock apps. 

Yesterday I did a trail run of 10Km but my watch only register 7.3Km ( a bit annoying). 

Could you please help here. 

Much appreciated,

Thanks,
Filipa

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would ask Fitbit for your money back, they have sold you a tracking
device that they acknowledge doesn't work!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@FilipaBayan This trick will only work/help if the GPS tracking is actually being killed. But, it doesn't hurt to try. 😊 Please check this article for the instructions how to lock an app on Xiaomi phones. Aside from locking Fitbit app, please make sure Fitbit app is not being optimized by Android (go to Settings on your phone, scroll to Battery, look for Optimization, and make sure Fitbit is marked as not being optimized). Hope it helps. 

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

yeah... Just received my Versa today... Updated and all... Im still using a Lumia 950 with the watch. Previously using it with Charge 2. For now the Versa notification all coming in. Will test connected gps tomorrow... If all fine, android phone purchase will be delayed 😀 

Best Answer
Send it back whilst you have a chance of getting your money back!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Couliepj I appreciate your concern... 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Couliepjhi again... I took your advice and already got my refund... Too much restart of the watch and phone needed just to make it work...

Best Answer
0 Votes

My phone only gives me the "Settings" and "Contact Us" option. This is so frustrating!!! I had the charge 2 with my Samsung S7 edge and it worked fine, but I have since gotten a new charge 2 and a upgraded to the Samsung S9 and now the only way to keep it tracking is to leave my screen on.

Best Answer

Okay.

I've been trying to solve the problem with disconnecting GPS for like half a year.

This method works.

I'm surprised this isn't mentioned in other threads, even those created within couple last month's.

Thank you for posting this.

Best Answer
0 Votes