Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counts steps while driving

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just upgraded from the Blaze to the Versa for the waterproof/swimming feature and have already noticed that it counts steps while I am driving. My Blaze was really good about not counting steps while I drove. Anyone else have this issue or know a fix for it?

Thanks! 

Best Answer
91 REPLIES 91

Hi Leece,

Thank you for the advice... The problem is that Fitbit people doesn't seem to bother with all the complaints they are recieving. Until now they dont have the Spo2 sensor working as they advertised and its written in the packaging. Well, im still hoping they will still sort things out the soonest otherwise many would not buy there products in the future. That includes me. 

Have a great weekend though. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try the DriveBit app. It will log the drive for you and defuct the steps on the Fitbit app. We shouldn’t have to do that, but it is what it is for now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I added driving as an activity and put in the duration, but the step count remained the same. What am I doing wrong? I also restarted the Versa watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is ridiculous that this issue still persists. I cannot understand why some people think it’s a non issue when so many are experiencing this and many of us are previous Fitbit owners who have never suffered with this problem before. The Versa clearly behaves differently to other Fitbit products in this regard. 

It should be fixed ASAP. It is a major flaw in this particular product. Much as I would like to have attained the number of steps and floors that my Versa is reporting, I know that the majority of these are false readings and have lost faith in my Fitbit. In its current form it is not fit for purpose. It’s not even slightly out, it is GROSSLY INACCURATE. 120 floors and 12000 steps and I didn’t even step foot out of my car cannot be justified. 

I will be looking to return my Versa if it is not fixed in v3, but issue seems to have dragged on for ages so don’t have any hope for a fix. Thankfully I kept my Blaze. 

Best Answer

It’s really frustrating.  I’ve told everyone I know to get the blaze instead of the versa this Christmas. I’m so angry that something so integral to the functionality hasn’t been fixed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m sure if you do significant driving every day it’s preferable not to have to correct but for me it’s a non-issue.  With short drives (under an hour) it’s not enough steps (unless over a very bumpy road) to have an impact and in any case entering a ‘Driving’ manual exercise for the period cancels out the steps.

Also, all similar devices do the same, including other Fitbits.  I had the Charge 2 before the Versa, did the same.

Tom
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would hardly call 2000 steps and 20 floors an hour not a problem. 

And no, it didn’t do it on my 2 other fitbits - Charge 2 and Blaze. 

If I need a workaround for this, I may as well use an abacus to count my steps and floors. At least it will be more reliable and accurate tech. 

Best Answer

Floors don’t impact calorie count.  If the steps added while driving become significant, the workaround is to add a manual ‘driving’ activity for the drive period.  It takes about 20 seconds to do. I’d prefer not to as well, but it’s not a significant issue IMO.

Tom
Best Answer
0 Votes
I found 2 apps that add tbe drive for you. One of them claims to
automatically detect when you are driving if you pay for premium. I tested
that feature out once and it didn't seem to work. I changed the sensitivity
of the drive in the settings of the drive app, but haven't tested it again.
Anyway, all you do is open the app, click "start" when you start driving
and "stop" when you stop driving and turn it asks you to confirm the times
and it automatically goes into your record.

One of the apps is called TravelBit (that's the one I use, and the one that
has the feature to automatically detect when you are driving, if you pay
for the premium version)

The other is called Drivebit. They both seem to work the same way eith the
"start" "stop" feature.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Babyblueeyes513 I believe those apps only work for Android devices.  Also, there’s no need to put in the manual ‘Driving’ activity as you drive, it can be done before (if you know the period you’ll be driving) or after.

To be clear, I agree this should be addressed by Fitbit in a future release and I have logged this as my #1 request for a fix with them but the workaround is not onerous IMO.

Tom
Best Answer
0 Votes

Guys, the bottom line here is, Fitbit Versa shoudn't be behaving like that, steps counts while driving, sleeping, and in my case even whe im folding our laundry or just simply waving my hand. As for the floors count, it is so unreliable. There are those times when I kept on climbing up and down the stairs and still no floors counted (I understand its has to be 3m or 10 ft for the watch to count it a 1 floor). 

So we have to download these 3rd party apps just to justify Fitbit's flaws? I dont think so. We bought this device for this purpose according to their description and according to their advertisement. Did they mentioned or showed in their commercials to use 3rd party app for the said issue? NO, they did not... Like what I've said before, if only I can still return this watch, it will be a merry Christmas for me. But I cannot. So what should I do? Clueless...

Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone! Enjoy and God Bless! Peace!

Best Answer

I'm way late to this thread, but I can tell anyone that the road and/or vehicle does make a difference. I am retired, but drive a school bus as a PT job. My FitBit counts steps like crazy when I am driving the bus, but not at all in my car or truck. The only thing I can think of is that the extra vibration transmitted to the steering wheel is the cause.

Best Answer
0 Votes