Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance on GPS map doesn't match with exercise summary

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all

Firstly love the Fitbit Versa does everything I need also the app is great.

BUT over the last couple of weeks the distance recorded by the app is way off. 

I use it connected to my Samsung Galaxy S9+ and its always been very accurate to a tenth of a mile or less. 

But on my last few runs of about 3.4 miles it can be a whole mile out, but just the distance the route it records is spot on but the mile points are in the wrong place for example it recorded 2.44 miles in 30.29.

My wife who also has a Versa connected to an IPhone recorded 3.43 miles in 30.30 this is correct and matches our pace of about 9.30/m

Prior to the last weeks it has always been almost exactly the same as my wife as we run together. 

I have Re started the Versa and the phone, I have cleared the data in the Fitbit app and I have also uninstalled the fitbit app. 

Same result its not always out the same, a couple of runs back it got to 2.89m on the same route. Then on Tuesday it was spot on. 

Any ideas it seems like a small thing but not having an accurate record of your work turns out to be extremely frustrating.

Anyone else had this? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
366 REPLIES 366

Are you using version 3.11 already ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It has just updated a couple of hours ago. 

I don't hold out any hope of a fix

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here, 3.11 installed over night, I probably won't go for a run so I can test it until tomorrow, but even if there is a fix I won't trust it until I see an improvement over 4-5 runs.  Would be great if Fitbit were more transparent so we could just track fixes for issues like this rather than having to wait and test each release as it arrives.  Feels very Mickey Mouse, why would anyone sign up for a premium service when they can't provide even the most basic information to their customers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally. 

If it was still working as it was 6 months ago I would be tempted to pay for the premium features. 

I like everything about fitbit except the fact it does not work and that's a pretty big one to be honest. 

I may get out tonight so will see what happens. 

And as you say 1 good result is nothing, when I have 5 or 6 all reporting the correct distance I will trust it is fixed for now! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

To be honest the trust has gone with them, if I could convince my whole family to ditch them I would. As it is I've just got my youngest a Versa, probably good enough for her as she's only really wanting to use it as a step counter but for me trying to improve myself as a runner its utterly redundant and the level of customer care is disgusting. How the hell they can role out a new model with a fundamental flaw on it is beyond me.

I've now ran the usual 10k route with my new tracker and it came in bang on the money at 10.04k and I knew it should be slightly over as I did an extra lap of the car park where it finishes. The data its giving me back is far superior to that I got from my fitbit so to be honest I'm glad I ditched it, I hope it all gets resolved for you all so you can actually get some data to help you push on in whatever your goals are but dont hold your breath.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely bollocks. 

3.35 mile run recorded at 2.4 miles, a whole mile out on a 3.5 mile run. 

Yet as we all know upload it to Strava Re calculate the distance and its perfect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd really hoped 3.11 might resolve the problem but I went out for a run at lunchtime, Strava recorded 4.2 miles, Fitbit recorded 4.6 miles.

Time to start shopping for a new smartwatch, just as well its black friday tomorrow!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to confirm, 3.11 is just as useless as 3.8, 3.9, 3.9.1, 3.10, and 3.10.1. Working in tech myself I simply cannot believe that Fitbit cannot find and fix this issue in a reasonable amount of time, given that it was spot on for me for over 9 months. But we are now well over 2 months with this issue... simply ridiculous. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all

Just got the Ionic and been out for a run and wonder if someone could explain something  for me

Why do I have 2 different distances shown on the same run? I did not stop at any point so nothing to do with auto pause 

20191129_192732.jpg

The distance logged and used for the pace is 3.31miles but the total distance shown on the map is 3.7 miles. I run this trail a few times and it is closer to 3.4 so 3.37 near enough. 

But how can I have the two distances? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I solved my problem bu getting a Fitbit Ionic as this has built in GPS. 

Just done a run and...... Perfect 

Recorded exactly as it should. 

I will give it a few more days then the Versa will be going on ebay. 

I know I'm a mug spending more money on fitbit but I like the rest of it. 

Best Answer

@Andyn1970  Fitbit sold you an activity tracker that doesn't work so you brought a more expensive older fitbit model to replace it 😉  No comment 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep although the Ionic is 2nd hand. 

I still feel like a bloody mug though. 

But it works so I'm happy and I will probably get as much for the Versa on ebay as I paid for the Ionic

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't believe how easily people accept that a product isn't working and just buy something new. Whether it is another fitbit or a Garmin. I paid a lot of money for a product that barely worked for half a year and now is defective. It is not defective as in broken hardware, but not functioning software. The effect is the same: The primary function of the product is not working. To me it does not matter whether the defect originates from software or hardware. The product is not working and fitbit is unable to fix this problem. At least all people in the EU should be able to get their money back if they bought in in the last two years. I am not sure about consumer rights in other parts of the world.

It is a shame, because I really loved it until two months ago. I loved the price, the sport functionality, the app, the fact that I can pay everywhere with it, the design. I was really wondering why it was barely known and why fitbit didn't advertise it more. Now I'm starting to get worried that they won't be around in a few months. It probably all is going to depend on the google deal.

Best Answer

I used the consumer rights to challenge Amazon for a refund. Backed up by the admission from tech support that there was a known fault and they didn't know when it would be fixed. Fitbit basically said tough t1tty to be honest.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They have never admitted to me there is a fault just constantly suggest stupid things like stride length.. 

I got mine from Argos in April I think but don't know if I could get a Re fund back from them. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just ran the Seattle Half Marthon. Shows I ran only 11.4 miles. Downloaded the .TCX file loaded it into "relive". It shows the correct mileage. Fitbit please fix this for the Android devices. GPS is working fine, the app is not.

Best Answer

I also sent a message to customer support.

Here a quote from their reply translated from Dutch: "As you probably know, your Fitbit does not have its own GPS hardware, but uses the GPS data from your mobile phone. Because of that we cannot say anything about the accuracy of the GPS hardware of you mobile phone."

I cannot believe this reaction.

After this they do say they will try to help and ask for my phone brand, type and Android version. I do not have any hope of them solving this. In order to solve an issue, you should first acknowledge the issue, which Fitbit clearly is not doing at this moment.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's the response I got from them back on the 8th of October after email ping pong with their tech team. I provided it to Amazon and they refunded me as my watch was useless, I find it hard to believe that countless people are emailing them with the same issue and they're giving them the same bull tech support delaying things instead of just admitting it.

Response below:-

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. We’re aware of it, but may not be able to provide a fix in the immediate future. We'll continue to monitor the situation, and keep our team informed of the impact to you and other customers. We understand that this isn't the resolution you're hoping for, but rest assured we're always working to improve our products.

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.
Best Answer
0 Votes

They have just come back to me after 5 days and supposedly escalating to their higher team.

Here is what I got

We are more than glad to help you with your inquiry. Let's work together to get you back on track, so you can continue enjoying your Fitbit.

Please make sure you have checked the requirements and follow the troubleshooting in the following link: How do I use GPS on my Fitbit device?

Your phone can identify your location and can track your location. For more information, see How do I allow the Fitbit app to use my phone's GPS sensors?

The Fitbit app is allowed to run in the background on your phone. For more information, see What should I know about using the Fitbit app on my Android phone?

In case the previous steps have already been performed please do the following :

revoke access to the Strava app and try the same test run route as 2.44 mile run that the Versa recorded on 11/28/19. Let's see if by revoking Strava, and checking correct GPS settings are set, the  Versa records the route closer to what Strava recorded (3.35 miles).

Boy to they know how to take the P

How the heck would revoking the access to strava do anything. 

How do I get them to admit they know about the fault, I must be up to 15 emails now its obviously not going to get fixed any time soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seems they're pretty much stumped as to what the issue is and are using everyone as Guinea pigs to try and fix it.

Best Answer
0 Votes