Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Versa include SPO2?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am curious if this device contains the SPO2 sensor that is hopefully going to add to the Fitbit abilities moving forward.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
152 REPLIES 152

I agree but then they should not have advertised the feature at all.

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit Sorry, I’m confused. So is there one now currently to used on the Versa or will it be available in the near future? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

As far as I know they are waiting for FDA approval for for the sleep apnea that this sensor will use.

Best Answer
0 Votes
To my knowledge Versa only mentioned that Versa intends to start using this
sensor in the future. No specifics though.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the forums. Please note that as described earlier, the Versa includes the SpO2 sensor but at this moment our team is still working towards applying the technology used by this sensor. Be sure that we will be notifying you when we have more information about this situation, so please keep an eye on our future news.

Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

One month has passed, any news on this subject? I understand you need create some way to analyse this data for standard use. But at least give us the option to read real life data from this sensor. I would love to use this insight while working out.

Best Answer

I have apnea, and I was hoping the SPO2 sensor could help me track the effectiveness of my treatment.  One way you could help, and its the simplest to implement it seems, is to simply have a banner of results above/below the sleep stages banner.  This way, I could observe correlations between data sets (especially awakenings to drops in SPO2), even If your software does not integrate the data sets. This seems simple enough to implement immediately. 

Can you please pass this along to the development department?  

Best Answer

@JeannetteC wrote:

I have apnea, and I was hoping the SPO2 sensor could help me track the effectiveness of my treatment.  One way you could help, and its the simplest to implement it seems, is to simply have a banner of results above/below the sleep stages banner.  This way, I could observe correlations between data sets (especially awakenings to drops in SPO2), even If your software does not integrate the data sets. This seems simple enough to implement immediately. 

Can you please pass this along to the development department?  

Jeannette, I agree with you entirely!  I don't need a sleep apnea diagnostic, I just want to know if my saturation levels are going down at night.  I have a finger pulse-oximeter that I can use, but I use it by putting it on my finger, and looking at the results.  If the Versa has the ability to do the same thing, I don't need it to tell me what the results mean, heck, I don't even really need numbers!  Just a graph that shows it going up and down over the course of days and nights, would be useful. 

I'm not buying one until the O2 tracker works in some way--that and the sleep tracking are the only seriously important functions I need.  The rest are nice, but they are just bells and whistles for me.

FitBit Development: maybe you think you can't implement this until you have the ability to diagnose sleep apnea.  If that is your bar, it might take you years!  Please just give us access to the data and graphs, even if it is marked "provisional."  Maybe you can allow some of us to be beta testers?

Best Answer

Not sure the built in sensor (spO2) and reading the wrist will be as accurate as one on the finger. That's probably the problem. They should have an optional finger thingy sensor that plugs into the watch like all the 'professional', long term, chart-producing spO2 sensors that you wear on your wrist have.  The finger-only deals will only fall off at night.

Reading from the wrist will ever be accurate? I don't know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The sensor on the wrist doesn't have to be accurate, just consistent, and it doesn't even have to give specific numbers.  It could give ranges, like bright green for 96 and above, yellowish green for 92 to 95, yellow for 88 to 91, orange for 84 to 87, and red for 83 and lower.  Then, not actually give the numbers, since they might be different on different people, just give a chart with the colors.  As long as it is within a couple points consistently for a specific person, that would be enough feedback to know if we were desaturating at night, or not.  It doesn't have to be accurate between different people.

It should not be a medical device, just a feedback device.  For those of us who need to really know our spO2, we have a finger oximeter.  The problem is tracking it on a graph, and tracking it when we are not able to check with the finger oximeter, like when we're sleeping or driving, etc.

There is a watch available that has a finger sensor to track at night.  I have not purchased it because I know I won't keep the stupid thing on my finger all night.  I just want a general idea of what is happening to my spO2.  The FitBit doesn't have to have excellent accuracy, it just has to have statistically helpful consistency on the person who is wearing it. Most importantly, I want to know when my O2 saturation is going down, and if it is going down by a little or a lot, and when it is coming back up. 

A graph of up and down, round the clock, is what I need.  Consistency for the user, not accuracy compared to medical tests, is what I am looking for.  If they stayed with color-coding, and didn't use numbers, it seems to me they could avoid the whole necessity of getting medical approval.

No one really freaks out if the steps are only accurate to within 5%, and not perfect. And it is expected that wearers will create settings that make the watch appropriate for them. That's what I'm asking for with the spO2.

Best Answer

Different strokes. Consistency implies accuracy, to me.

But the spO2 wrist sensor is not going to be either. The heart rate is equally limited. A $20 finger spO2 sensor, is accurate. This wrist one will not be.  Makes you wonder.

For accuracy, even the heart rate, you need the chest or arm strap with different sensors or LED through the finger or ear lobe. The wrist, forget it. It's mediocre guesswork. There will be attachments, bt connected, eventually.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't need it to be accurate, I just want the insight and I'll analyse it myself. In all honosty, their heart rate monitor is not very accurate either, especially when working out. But that's ok because it's a fun consumer product. If I want accuracy I'll wear a chest strap. 

It's the same for the spO2 sensor. If I would need that insight for health related problems, I'd buy myself a professional device or consult a doctor. 

Best Answer

"because it's a fun consumer product"

(that costs quite a bit more than the accurate sensors).

It's true, I'm just working my way through the facts. Knowing it's not accurate (even for the heartbeat) is important consumer information that isn't quite as available as it should be.  The reflective guesswork going on with oxygen saturation (using the wrist sensor) has to be even more tenuous, particularly when moving.

But it may still be a useful gimmick (at least the pulse rate) as it's sometimes pretty accurate plus there are a lot of other benefits that can lead to information you don't normally have.

Other consumers, like myself, are still waiting for accuracy in a wearable. There may be compromises and additional gear/connections such as a bt chest-strap or finger sleeve. Not sure why they aren't available in everyday smart watches. They aren't expensive and they could add incredible information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The standard response from FitBit is irritating doublespeak.  The answer to the question "Is SpO2 functionality supported" should be yes or no.  I take the FitBit response of "We are still exploring how this could manifest in the consumer experience" to be NO.  So, not now and we don't know when we will be able to figure out the medical licensing issues so possibly NEVER.  Just tell the truth.

Best Answer

Why is this thread marked solved ?

This feature is one of the main reasons why I upgraded from the charge2 to the Versa !

As long as we as customers do not benefit (from a built in sensor that is not software supported) it is NOT SOLVED !

Best Answer

It's marked as solved because the original question posed in the thread has been answered.

Best Answer

THX .. my learning is clear .. in the future I will ask the car dealer if the motor sitting in the car also will help me moving from A to B 😉

Best Answer

SteveH, that's a bit too easy. That's not the point. Yes the question was a bit poorly formulated, however this is misleading advertising. If you sell a watch with a SPO2 sensor you should also add the option to turn it on.

Best Answer

Yeah, I accept it was a glib response but the mod's answer did explain that the sensor is there but will not immediately be used.

I think fitbit probably jumped the gun announcing the SPO2 sensor as it's been too long now - but perhaps they've hit issues. A formal update would be nice.

I think this thread has been answered but there are still a lot of valid questions re the SPO2 sensor

Best Answer

Like many others, I really want the SpO2 functionality and would like to have that rolled into a single unit that has the other functionality in the Ionic.  Since FitBit has stonewalled on telling us when (if ever) the SpO2 function would be enabled, I have moved on to other solutions.  I just rolled the dice on an internet alternative from Amazon - "New High Accuracy Fitness Watch, Pard PPG + PWTT + HRV Health Tracker, Blood Oxygen SpO2 Sleep Monitor Wristband, Gold".   FitBit has certainly left a sour taste in my mouth.

Best Answer