Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genders

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I would just like to ask why Fitbit has not make it possible to mark yourself down as non-binary or bi- gender as lots of people (including me) don’t identify as one gender or as one of the main genders at all 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Yourlocalgay   When you set up your profile, Fitbit asks for your sex (your biological sex), not your gender (a social construct).  There are consistent biological differences between males and females.  Fitbit uses these to estimate things like stride length, basic metabolic rate, calorie burn during exercise, and body fat composition (if you use a BIA scale like the Aria 2).  Fitbit just wants to give you accurate estimates.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

You make a valid point, @Yourlocalgay - This suggestion has been posted to the Feature Suggestion board here. Please add your vote. This is the forum where developers can gage interest in an idea. 

Best Answer

@Yourlocalgay   When you set up your profile, Fitbit asks for your sex (your biological sex), not your gender (a social construct).  There are consistent biological differences between males and females.  Fitbit uses these to estimate things like stride length, basic metabolic rate, calorie burn during exercise, and body fat composition (if you use a BIA scale like the Aria 2).  Fitbit just wants to give you accurate estimates.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Unfortunately it is not as simple as you suggest.

Reasons why choosing a biological sex actually impacts us gender queers in a negative way.  Whenever I use the device and see that my “Sex” is listed as something that is at odds with my gender, makes me feel uncomfortable, dysphoric, and then some anger towards FitBit. It definitely does not motivate me to continue to use the device or recommend it to anyone. Those feels are not healthy… they are the opposite… which means FitBit is indirectly promoting unhealthy mental health (which then effects physical health).

There are over 20 countries in the world that recognize a third gender to the extent that it is documented on legal ID. This includes Canada, United States, Austria, India, Taiwan, and many other countries. In Canada we have 3 options for our passports, driver’s licences, health cards and even birth certificates: “M,” “F,” and “X.”

If the Olympics are now able to regonize more that 2 genders and complete on a global scale, than so should FitBit. Just like the Olympics, we do not expect you to get it right on the first try, but to start taking steps in the right direction.

To make the company of Fit Bit actually listen to us and make changes we do need to add our comments and vote on the main thread that @Coral-B pointed out here: Please .  Plus pushing that all important "VOTE" button on that thread. 

Happy Pride!

Best Answer