Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green/red lights flickering and updates

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi I’m wondering if Fitbit can update the watch without a actual update. Sorry if this doesn’t make any sense. But last night before bed the green light was flashing red/green I restarted and went back to green. But woke up to solid red light. And when I was flicking through my stats in watch I noticed extra features that were not there yesterday. Like showing my previous weeks steps. 

Mia this possible with the app updating? Thanks 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey there @SunsetRunner! Thanks for the update and for the picture! Upon checking with Support I was able to see that you have a case with them. The best option at the moment is to continue working with them. I'm sure that they can help you further to get back on track in no time. 

Keep me posted with the outcome! 😉 

P.S. Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tips, recipes and more! Give it a look! 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

Hi @SunsetRunner, nice to see you arround! Thanks for your questions regarding the updates on Fitbit Versa. There are actually 2 different types of updates on this watch.

The Firmware update (free feature enhancements and bug fixes for your Fitbit device), you can check out the help article How do I update my Fitbit device? And, updates for the apps on your watch. To read more about this, visit the help article How do I install and manage apps on my Fitbit watch?

Regarding the read and green lights on your watch, can you please let me know the following: 

• Do you have pictures of this weird lights? 
  • Do you remember the activity you where doing at that time?
  • Did your watch display an error or a message on the screen?
  • Did you notice any other weird behavior on your watch before the restart?
  • Do you still see these weird light pattern? 

Keep me posted, I'd love to help you to solve this! Cat Wink

Best Answer

Hi thanks for replying.  I notice them just before going to sleep it changes to a Amber. Then when I wake up it’s a solid red light. I don’t use heart rate. So I’ve been thinking that. Everytime I have tried to get a pic it turns off 😏 

no other weird behaviour everything else is tracking fine. 

Best Answer

8FC52301-1473-447A-A88D-8901F4B7AB58.jpeg

Best picture I could get . took this at 2:30 pm as i saw red instead of green on my wrist  😏

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @SunsetRunner! Thanks for the update and for the picture! Upon checking with Support I was able to see that you have a case with them. The best option at the moment is to continue working with them. I'm sure that they can help you further to get back on track in no time. 

Keep me posted with the outcome! 😉 

P.S. Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tips, recipes and more! Give it a look! 

Best Answer

Was there any resolution to this?  I’ve noticed red lights flickering along with the green but only first thing in the morning when I wake up.  Then it switches to all green.  The HR monitor seems to work fine.  

In some other thread I can’t find again they were speculating whether it was the O2 sensor (collecting data/testing) so I’m crossing my fingers it is 🙂  certainly hope it’s not a problem!

Best Answer

I've been seeing this too. At first it seemed like a green and red light were trying to go at the same time making it look almost orange/yellow and now this morning I did just see the all red light. Please keep us updated if you find anything out. I've been having trouble with keeping the HR reading. It seems to just go on and off as it pleases. I dont know if this is related..

Best Answer

I received my versa on May 1st. Today, May 4th, when taking my Versa off, I noticed red and green lights flashing too. I did a restart and now it's solid green. I certainly hope I don't have to restart this thing everyday for one reason or another. 😣

Best Answer

I have also noticed the red lights and contacted support, they told me that it is normal:

Hi Edita, 

We'll be more than happy to assist regarding your new Fitbit Versa and the heart rate sensor. Let's work together so we can get you back on track as soon as possible. 

Regarding your inquiry and after reviewing the video you've sent of the heart rate sensor of your new Fitbit Versa, we'd like to let you know that the green and red lights you're currently seeing are an expected behavior for your device and the sensors and it shouldn't affect the functionality of the device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see the red flash every morning. I'm convinced they use it for sleep tracking but I'm super curious about why.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted about this last week, I believe this is to do with measuring SpO2

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Is-the-Versa-monitoring-my-SpO2/m-p/2677579#M13316

Best Answer

I want to know as that would be very exciting to find out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven’t seen any red lights, flashing or solid,  next to the flashing green heart rate light on the Versa. Are they supposed to be visible or is this thing broke?

Best Answer

The only light you should see at this time (until Fitbit makes a specific update) is the green light.

KC | Texas
One, Charge HR, Charge 2, Versa | Galaxy S9 Plus
Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure but I believe if everything's fine, there should be just green line. The only few times I've seen red light flickering along with green on mine was few times I saw red sunburn like injury on my skin after taking it off right where the light is hitting the skin.

So I assume, no red light - everything's fine. Red light - smth wrong/malfunctioning - I get burn on my skin.

Have happen 2 times so far. 1st time happened about 4 days after receiving it. 2nd time about 2 weeks after. Both noticed after sleep taking it off in morning. I use mine mostly to track my sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LucyAP Please will someone at Fitbit make a statement on this. 

Red and Green LEDs alternating do not mean the Versa is malfunctioning.

From what I can see from the two Fitbit Versa my family own, when the Versa senses you are sleeping it switches the LEDs to Red Green alternating and when you are awake switches back to green only.

@calumthomas stated in another thread "In the ionic release notes they said the red light was used to better attain resting heart rate, which is best taken when you’ve just woken up."

Best Answer

This is a gif of the green to red sensor lights. I never noticed this until the 32.32.10.15 firmware

Green to RedGreen to Red

Fitbit Vera SE
Best Answer

Hi everyone! Thanks for the tag and for all the information you shared here! 😉 As mentioned by Support, this is an expected behavior and it should not affect the functionality of your Versa.

Regarding your question if it is a SpO2 sensor, Fitbit Versa includes a relative SpO2 sensor. We hope that in the future, this sensor could give consumers the opportunity to identify potential health issues like sleep apnea. We are still exploring how this could manifest in the consumer experience, but such technology would use this sensor.

However, if your heart rate sensor is not working correctly please restart your Versa. To do so, check out the help article How do I restart my Fitbit device?

Keep me posted with the outcome! 🙂

Best Answer

What was the outcome in the end?

I noticed mine doing it today after I’d taken it off for a while. Ended up shutting it down and restarting and it worked again. 

Did notice however in my stats stats instead of acknowledging it was turned off, it had me logged as being in a state of light sleep lol

Perhaps I’ll just shutdown each time I take it off to save the hassle. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @HyperSlothic! Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting tips you performed and all your input about your Versa.

This is an expected behavior and it should not affect the functionality of your Versa. As I mentioned on my previous post, we are exploring he opportunity to identify some sleep issues like apnea. 

Nevertheless, if you are experiencing any incorrect heart rate tracking or if the light is lit all the time please let me know so I can be of more help. 

Keep me posted! 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes