Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is HRV?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How accurate is the HRV in the health metrics?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
351 REPLIES 351

Thanks! That's helpful!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really doubt the accuracy of the HRV readings on fitbit. Mine seemed to jump around without any reason, see image.

-----------

Sorry I couldn't attach an image to my post. This seems to be a known issue. I recently get really frustrated with fitbit.

Here is an url to my HRV https://imgur.com/N5rmTTS

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you everybody. I have been so worried about my health after using my Fitbit HRV for a year. My newest research today brought me to this string and I know now that I can rest assured that I am in as good a health as I think I am! Thank you all.

Best Answer

This appears to be an issue with me. Hoping fitbit is messed up, but if so why haven't they addressed this. Looking at my Sleepnumber numbers the hrv is considerably higher more what I would expect. Beginning to question a number of fitbit results.

Best Answer

Mine did the same thing today. I am pretty fit, almost 40, and have a resting heart rate of 65ish usually. I have always had a super low hrv reading and assumed it was inaccurate. Then this morning it shot up for some reason.

On average my hrv is 13 to 18 and this morning it’s 76.

Best Answer

Mine has said 0 for two days it was 32 now 0. Very odd 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ended up buying a proper heart rate monitor and downloaded elite hrv app to confirm that I wasn’t going to drop dead any time soon. Fitbit really needs to sort this out, either by making sure that the figures are more accurate or warning people about the inaccuracies. 

Best Answer
What was the difference between the Fitbit hrv compared to the new hrv tool that you bought?

Best wishes from my iPhone
Patrice Derwa
Best Answer
0 Votes
Fitbit reads between 25 and 30. Polar H10 with Elite HRV shows around 60. Other devices (Garmin) reads around 60. Fitbit is way off.
Best Answer
My Fitbit keeps saying 0 for the last five days after changing the band.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree. If it is not accurate, stop publishing.
Best Answer

So it sounds like you could basically double+ the Fitbit number. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has it stayed consistent? Or dropped back into stupid.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s about 3O off if that helps. I bought the Polar 10 which seems to excellent so far. 

Best Answer
Still do not know why mine says 0 and no data. I have reset it snd logged
out. This is a new Versa 3
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to say as well I believe it’s way off. I’m male, 24 years old 5’10 160 and active. Last night got a reading of 12. Looking at all of my other information, and considering my age and fitness I would pray that this number is a fluke.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have you called the Fitbit hotline? I’ve called them a few times and they were very helpful. Here is the number to their tech support +1 (877) 623-4997.

Best wishes from my iPhone
Patrice Derwa
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hate to say it but Fitbit HRV is worthless. It looks like Fitbit is going down the tube since Google bought them. I've owned my Charge 5 for about 2 months now. HRV reads between 10 an 15. Never was able to sign up for my 6 month premium trial. Heart rate while accurate is very sensitive to where it is on the wrist. I logged 20 steps driving my car 6 miles. This is just an expensive toy.

Best Answer

The studies show that reading PP intervals using PPG (optical sensor, where PP intervals are Peak-To-Peak) is quite accurate and HRV (sometimes called PRV due to the method) isn't falling far behind the ECG and RR intervals. In fact, in most cases, PP is enough. My doubts are mostly related to Fitbit's methodology. The HRV is being measured for a longer period of time (how long? it's nowhere specified) and comparing the HRV measured within different time domains won't work. The long-term HRV and short-term HRV isn't the same. Now, I don't know whether Fitbit does long-term (which scientifically is 24h and more) or short-term (which is equivalent of measurement up to 5min). However, Fitbit mentioned using RMSSD which is more suitable for short-term measurement (up to 5min long, there is also ultra-short HRV but not gonna be getting there) while long-term usually uses SDNN (which is commonly used for 24h monitoring). The time-domain of sleep (when HRV measurement takes place) however is unknown (minutes? hours?) What would make sense would be measuring HRV and delivering HRV from the last 1-5min before waking up (then RMSSD makes sense). Most people don't need hours of measuring but only those few minutes before or/and after waking up. Also, long-term measurement usually results in higher HRV which stands opposite to what users report. Otherwise, it is hard to interpret the HRV without knowing what is the actual source (and source means a lot here!). Accuracy of the sensor and detecting PP intervals is another story. How does Fitbit deal with signal artefacts (even using ECG signal artefacts appear)? No one knows (and there is no way to check it) what is the accuracy of detecting PP intervals (because we need to know the exact moment of the peak it is a lot harder than detecting HR). The HRV number has no meaning (hence nobody should really be concerned about it) as there is no telling what it means. HRV isn't the same as RHR, lower/higher doesn't mean worse/better (it may but doesn't have to). There is a lot more to it and the lack of known time domain makes it useless as long-term and short-term HRV - despite even using the same math formulas - the physiological meaning may be totally different. Fitbit usually gives users just a number, some score (sleep score, readiness score etc.) but how often does it really mean anything useful if it's taken out of the complex context? HRV is a lot more complicated and I think, Fitbit did more harm than help by introducing such a half-baked feature without explaining anything or revealing the methodology behind it.

Best Answer

I’m around HRV 10-12, just realized what this means & am freaking out. But my cardio score is 29-33, for my age is “excellent.”  What gives, I wonder. 

Best Answer
0 Votes