Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock mode during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I play ice hockey and when wearing the Blaze in workout mode, my glove would hit the screen and pause the workout - not ideal. I don't want to have to keep checking to make sure it's on all the time. 

I want to get the Versa, but I feel like the same thing will happen with this device. 

After speaking to someone who has an Apple watch, they have a setting called lock mode that disables the touch screen until you twist the knob a few times. 

I really want to upgrade my Fitbit, but this is a huge blocker for me. I hope someone from Fitbit sees this can can be added to a future firmware update. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53

Totally agree! My workout was paused three times during my last boxing workout. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
After starting the workout, press and hold the button on the left side of your Fitbit. It then gives you an option for screen wake as auto or manual, change it to manual. I haven’t had a problem tracking my workouts since.
Best Answer
Thank you! I will give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Boxing workout paused even in manual mode. So frustrating! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

so i was thinking of upgrading to the versa, but i see that other users have brought up this issue a few months ago, I am curious has a solution been designed by the engineering team? is this even really being considered, obviously there are many others with similar issues and im sure we would all like to hear some sort of update on this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have heard nothing in regards to the issue being addressed.

I had issues with special edition band, started unraveling a week after I got it. I contacted customer service and was impressed by quick response to sending a new band. Then was advised unavailable and for ME to reach out in 4-6 weeks to see if available. I followed up was advised would ship band. I received plastic band, two sizes bigger then what was supposed to be sent. Contact customer service and told can’t replace special edition band and given label to ship the watch back for replacement. Seriously, so I can go two weeks with no watch. Wishing I would have invested the extra money and bought the Apple Watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Grrrr...resurrected my Blaze tonight thinking it would be fun to track my HR during my ice hockey games.  Sure enough, ran into the EXACT same issue as the poster...inside of my glove kept pausing/unpausing/finishing my "bootcamp" session.  Got about 10 minutes of usable data for a 60 minute game.   Surely, there was a lock screen feature I wasn't aware of.  Oops...WRONG!  Saw on another thread that fitbit has no plans to build this feature to solve an ACTUAL CUSTOMER PROBLEM.  Come on fitbit...this is such a no-brainer....it's like a two week engineering intern project.  Seriously, build a feature that customers actually want and eliminate some frustration.

Best Answer

The surge works for me while playing hockey. Bought and returned the blaze because there was no lock feature. Just bought a versa hoping it had a lock feature. Time to return it. While im at it ill return the one I also bought for my wife. I picked up a Samsung watch. It works well. Doesn't technically have a lick screen, but you can turn the screen off and turn the bezel wake off. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm playing soccer, and have the same problem. Please fix this!!!

Best Answer

I found that if you hold down the left button it brings up the music controls.  In this mode, the lower right button controls volume.  Won’t pause your exercise.  Mind you, you have to switch in and out of music mode to check your exercise stats. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I kickbox and have the same problem and fitbits response to me was kickboxing isnt a step based workout and that I could manually track my workouts. I thought I paid $250 for a fitness tracker not a step counter. I'm seriously considering switching to the apple watch. At least you can lock the watch during workouts. I bought this watch to track my workouts and monitor my heart rate and calorie burn during workouts so I wouldn't have to manually figure things out. So frustrating! 

Best Answer

My thoughts exactly!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here while kickboxing. I bought the Versa a week before the Versa Lite was released, going to return it and buy a Lite, since it has only one button, and no buttons on the wrist side, which can be triggered accidentally so easily.

Best Answer

I swim and this is a problem eventhough the quick view setting is already turned off. It restarts my swim exercise (as the water splashes on the screen) which is disappointing. And I just bought my Versa 3 days ago. Hopefully this is sorted soon!

Update:

Is there any lock screen for versa? I'm doing swimming pool laps and it just stops randomly. I'm thinking it's because of the water splashing on the screen. My quick view is already turned off and it still does the same.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @SunsetRunner, @Gredknap@Crystal.lee0033 and @ared14 ! It's great to see you around @Fit4reb and @sebastienbarre!

@Gredknap thank you for sharing your solution as it could be helpful for other users as well!

@Crystal.lee0033 thank you for sharing your experience and feedback as it helps us improving. We're constantly working on improving our devices and user experiences.

@sebastienbarre thank you for your efforts to resolve this and for sharing your thoughts. 

@ared14 I've moved your posts together for better organization of ideas. Thank you for your time and efforts.

I would like to thank you all for this suggestion as it would be great to have the lock screen option available during exercise. The best place to make your voice heard is the Feature Suggestions board. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs .

Keep on visiting the forums. Happy stepping!

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problems on my versa. I go to the gym and wear a thin gym gloves and it always press the versa by mistake and put it in pause mode. Clearly engineers in Fitbit dont exercise much! 

Best Answer

Hello @PaulWYB  thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board! I am sorry for the late response. 

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience. Thank you for your feedback and suggestion. The Feature Suggestions board is constantly monitored by the engineering team. If any update is available it will be communicated as soon as possible.

Keep on visiting the forums!

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For this same reason I just returned my Versa. I have been using Fitbits for over 2 years and was really dissabointed, that this hasn't been fixed.

Best Answer

I had to constantly check my Versa to see if is paused during exercise, its a nightmare.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Will the screen lock be available in the new versa?

Best Answer
0 Votes