Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications on Android when phone is "silent mode"

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Whenever I'm at work I turn off all sounds / vibrations, etc for my phone and put it in Do Not Disturb.  Will text / call notifications work when this is on?  The main reason i want to get the Versa is so I'm alerted when I have this option on. 

I actually bought the Amazfit Bip because it does have this option, but would prefer to get a Versa if it also notifies when Android is set to Do No Disturb,

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

For me it does not work by simply setting my phone to silent.

Only when I have my phone on vibration i receive all the incoming messages.

@N8teGee wrote:

You will receive call, text and app notifications when the phone is on silent or vibrate. However when you turn on do not disturb you will not get any notifications on your Versa.

I guess a compromise would be to set your phone on silent instead of do not disturb. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I turn off the vibration and turn the volume to off, my phone automatically goes into DND mode. At this point most applications honor and step sending notifications. Without notifications being sent there is nothing Fitbit can intercept. 

Best Answer

I know you saying if DND is on Fitbit can't intercept anything so its not a Fitbit issue, but other watches (Pebble/BIP) can display notifications on the watch even if DND is on.  

If they fix that I might buy a Versa, but not until then.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apparently Fitbit chose a different path to go .

Best Answer

@N8teGee You still receive notifications when your phone is silent? Mine doesn’t so I always have to have it on vibrate. How can I get my versa to still receive notifications on silent. I would really appreciate that! I have a Samsung s7 edge if that helps. Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://youtu.be/A7CXjl5LIuk thought I'd post proof quickly that I get notifications even on silent (the vibration of the Versa for some reason can't be heard in the video but it was there).. I wonder if it's working successfully just because of EMUI settings. Just thought I'd give you guys some hope! Good luck! 🤞 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

@taijitu how did you do that? Mine does not receive notifications on silent mode. But I would like mine to.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jayelo I'm not exactly sure how setting look on Samsungs, however these are my settings - in fact, it worked with silent out of the box. I never use do not disturb, so I'm pretty satisfied haha! All you need is for the phone to receive notifications without vibrating, which makes me a bit confused as to why it would work with on brand of Android phones and not the other.. 😞 anyways, here's a picture! I haven't done anything else than making sure DND and vibrations in silent mode were off, then all I did was change to silent via the shortcuts as seen in the video.Sound settings - EMUI, Android Oreo 8.0Sound settings - EMUI, Android Oreo 8.0

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not being able to get notifications while the phone is on DND is a really bad limitation. Most of the time, I keep my phone on DND because I don't want notifications to bother me or my coworkers at work. I expect a smartwatch to be able to give me notifications on my wrist so I can still discreetly be notified of things during meetings or presentations. Pebble and Android Wear both do this without issue, so why can't Fitbit? 

Best Answer

@sygyzy silent is literally the same as dnd except your phone doesn't even receive /show notifications in dnd therefore the watch has nothing to show as it loads notifications from your phone. in silent you receive notifications, your phone just doesnt make any sounds or vibrations. it works with silent as the phone gets notifications without actually disturbing you. i use it during classes and it works perfectly..

Best Answer
0 Votes

On the Galaxy line turning the volume to silent usually turns on the DND mode. 

Best Answer

@taijitu I suppose it depends which Android phone(s) you are familiar with but the ones I've used, do receive notifications in DND mode - except you can control whether it notifies you via sound or vibration or some combination. I keep my phone on DND 95% of the day and like I said before, notifications appear on my phone and (other) watches. If switching to silence is the only option because Fitibit doesn't want to work on this, I'll try that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I realized what I did to now get notifications while phone is on silent. I normally silent my phone with the shortcut bar that you pull down on a Samsung. But for some odd reason, I have to go through “settings” then “sounds” and then turn it silent. Using that way will still allow me to get notifications while on silent. Thanks @taijitu!

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you turn off the vibrationintensity, and then have the phone on vibration, the fitbit wil give notification(vibrate) when you get phone notifications. and the phone will still be on cilent with no vibrations.. Hope this helps :)
Best Answer
0 Votes