Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause Step Counting

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There needs to be a way to pause step-counting. 

I play the piano in two church services on Sundays and one on Wednesdays. Because of this, my Fitbit averages at least 5,000 extra steps that I don't take per week. I can imagine the problem it would be if I were a piano instructor. 

This inaccurate reflection of my activity skews the health metrics of Fitbit data and is not a true representation of my ownppersonal health.

Currently, I have no other alternative but to remove my watch during these times, but that is not always feasible. 

Please fix this problem. Many others have reported this, with no solutions having been added by Fitbit to remedy it.

A simple "pause step counting" button for a period of time would suffice.

Hey, I'll even give you a name to use: you could call it, "Fitbit Step Snooze"™ It's catchy, don't you think?

Please. Help.

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Good idea and catchy name! It gets my vote

This should be entered in Feature Suggestions

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

@EdSweitzer -

In the meantime you can enter a "driving" activity in the mobile app. It can (more on that later) retain calorie burn information but will zero out the steps for the period. 

People who drive for a living, especially those driving over bumpy roads or vehicles with very stiff suspensions also get large step count discrepancies. I used to get anywhere from 16 to 120 false steps on a previous FitBit in my 40-mile one-way commute to and from downtown LA from Orange County. 

In the iOS app, there are two "driving" activities, one that uses the calories already calculated for the period you enter and one that requires that you enter a value.

Your idea of a "stop counting" button has merit, as there are times, I'm sure that you have periods of playing and then walking around and playing again. Having to either keep a record of the playing times or having to book an exercise record each time you stop playing would be a pain.

Good luck and welcome to the boards.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes