Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602
Take it back while you can!

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

Well I am back.  I wish I had more intuitive news on why this happens to some people and why it does not.  I received my Versa July 31st, compared my steps with my husbands Charge 2, with the exception of a few days while I wore the watch, I received a few extra ghost floors and a few extra ghost steps. Certainly can’t compare to the amount of extra ghost steps that all who have posted here into the thousands. I still believe that the reason my Versa works pretty accurately is because of the way I have set mine up and where my app is loaded. I also think the ghost steps appear for a variety of reasons.

I have never gained any ghost steps while it charged, but I know many of you get them while on the charger.  I have just not really gotten any, however that does not mean it makes your situation any less valid.

I would not trust the Versa as a smart watch, I believe that all the things a “Smartwatch” does, is adding to the ghost step issue so it will never be resolved.  I repeat... Never be resolved.  

If Fitbit has not found a way to correct this by now with beta testing and with all the uses from this forum and many who have not read this forum, they never will.

I continue to watch my Versa, the first time I experience the thousand of ghost steps will be wrapped back up into the package it came in and back it will go.

Best Answer

@Nu2_4rum wrote:
Perhaps the ghost steps occur when the voltage waveform from the charger is noisy. Anyone think this could explain everything, or is there evidence to the contrary, eg ghost steps occurring when not on a charger?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Might be worth looking into building a charger power supply that runs on "D" cell batteries with a linear regulator such as a LM7805 or LP38693MP-5.0 low dropout  providing the 5.00 volts to the USB outlet.  Any electrical engineers or techs out there with a Versa experiencing ghost steps?

Best Answer
0 Votes
We considered the possibility that the charger was the problem. Switched to
my charger and ghost steps continued. We tried various locations and more.
Current update on my wife's versa: 1st one major ghost steps problem, 2nd
one no ghost steps, but pulse meter non working, 3rd versa everything seems
fine, no problems. Had for 4 days now. Mine was fine from the start.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m sorry, how is this a problem? 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys, hope you are doing fine.

Thank you for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this. We're still working on this issue and I hope to have more information for you all soon. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates.

Keep the stepping up! Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
Thanks
Best Answer

Interesting for what it's worth, I just happen to run across a co-worker who has worn an Ionic for several months now.  He said he never experienced the mystery step phenomenon.  He likes his Ionic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought a versa just recently and I haven't had such issue but I do know that alot of companies make small revisions to their products over time so the issues you guys are having may be fixed on the device I recently bought which usually they are aware of it and if it's a hardware issue that they have fixed in the newest revision obviously what would you tell a customer who has an old revision you wouldn't just straight out tell them that they have fixed it in a new revision because that would be outright saying the old one is faulty and people wouldnt take that news too well. This also may just be luck but I highly doubt it

I'd be happy to hear from anyone else who has just recently bought one and if you are experiencing this issue

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not good enough. I am extremely patient but i will be bagging this product wherever i can. Your inane and useless replies are not helping - tell one of your technical team to reply soon or don't bother replying at all.

Best Answer

Some companies do own up to their responsibilities.  As I posted earlier, I bought the Bose Soundsport Wireless headphones shortly after their release.  It was then discovered some users were having their headphones die under certain extreme exercise / sweating conditions.  Bose pulled the product from the market until they fixed the problem and offered all affected users a free replacement.  Mine did not fail until after I had had the headphones for more than a year, past the stated warranty and they still replaced them without an issue.

That in my opinion is real customer service, not the placating replies we get in this thread.

@PlasmaPod wrote:

I bought a versa just recently and I haven't had such issue but I do know that alot of companies make small revisions to their products over time so the issues you guys are having may be fixed on the device I recently bought which usually they are aware of it and if it's a hardware issue that they have fixed in the newest revision obviously what would you tell a customer who has an old revision you wouldn't just straight out tell them that they have fixed it in a new revision because that would be outright saying the old one is faulty and people wouldnt take that news too well. This also may just be luck but I highly doubt it

I'd be happy to hear from anyone else who has just recently bought one and if you are experiencing this issue

Best Answer

I've charged my Versa this morning and it counted nearly 5.000 steps. Thanks to this and the steps i got for bike riding i now have over 10.000 steps for today. And i walked not much.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When is this going to be resolved...? My frustration with fitbit continues I have purchased Five flex bands over six years and they continued to quit on me so I decided to invest in something more expensive and after three days already an issue!!! Come on fitbit Losing wait is challenging enough no one needs these issues with their devices! I woke up to over 12,000 steps after a charge and without taking one step!!!

Best Answer

If you've only had it 3 days, you may want to consider returning it. FitBit has issued no timeframes on a fix for this. We only get vague responses that they are working on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am thinking I need to take your advise so frustrating! Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes it is. I asked to exchange my Versa for an iconic but never got a
response from Fit Bit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Return it while you can! This is not a new problem and they have no freaking idea how to fix it. All we get is condensing "we are aware and the team is working on it" which translates into "thank you for paying for a 200.00 worthless tracker that we rushed to get on the market before it was properly tested and oh by the way, a new Charge 3 is out next month so we will continue to get money either way".  If my team at my job worked as inefficiently as this one, they would be looking for new jobs. You solve the customer's issues quickly or you lose customers to someone else, its that simple. Trust me, RETURN IT!

Best Answer

This just happened to me today while my Versa was charging. There was no vibration at all so this is definitely not the cause. Hope a fix is found soon, I'm surprised it is taking so long to get a fix. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wonder what your development team is doing but the quickest fix would be.

if (fitbit charging)

disable step count;

else

enable step count;

I wonder how hard can this be! If your fitbit is charging its not on the hand and there is no need to count steps, that's it. Btw I am a embedded software developer and if you need a developer hire me !! I really would like to know why are you guys facing so much issues fixing these software bugs.

Best Answer
Thank you for making this point, the same one I have made in the past, but one of my posts was removed by the moderators, for reasons that were not clear to me, and I have had no responses from them when I queried why. Your piece of pseudo-code could be extended to include doing nothing while not on a wrist, because the watch knows that too, as it receives no heart-beat, and the proof is that it locks the screen when you take it off your wrist. It concerns me whether the moderators actually pass info to the developers or whether the forum is just a placebo. I hope the developers look at the forum but I have no evidence either way.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes