Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

@Patientone wrote:
I make it a habit now to leave my Versa in an area where it shouldn't feel
any vibration. It worked for a while but a few days ago I woke up and saw
nearly 2000 steps on the device. I'm not sure how that was possible. But I
guess I'll just keep focused on the actually miles and not steps.

It may be radio frequency interference and not mechanical vibration.  Try taking the charger to work and charging it.  Also try a different charger or your computer to charge it.  See if the issue disappears or changes.

Best Answer

Hi everyone. Thank you for reading the suggestions in this thread. Some of them are reinforced as there are new members commenting about this issue. @MarcoFitbit has provided a great deal of suggestion so if you are new to the thread/board feel free to check them out. If the issue persist and you have already verified that there is no nearby vibration and tried the restart and factory reset then please feel free to let our Support team know so they can further assist you. 

@KB9WNS thank you for the helpful input.

I'll be around!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

@KB9WNS wrote:

Try taking the charger to work and charging it.  Also try a different charger or your computer to charge it.  See if the issue disappears or changes.

Awsome  suggestion @KB9WNS

Was wondering why this only happens to select people and not the whole forum. 

Community Council Member

ALAN | VAN,B.C. Canada Community Council Member

Versa, Charge, Charge HR, Ionic, Ace, Aria 2 scale, Flyer headphones - iOS

Click here Fitbit help for more solutions

>Contact
Best Answer
Thought I had my problem with ghost steps solved by charging my versa using
my laptop. Worked 3 times but they are back. How about swapping my versa
for an iconic? Wait...what bugs does it have?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem.  Woke up to 16,000 steps while it was charging.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Having the same issue. One time I did a hard restart before charging and that time I didn’t track extra steps, but other times I did it, it didn’t work. Following this thread hoping for a solution! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fit bit adds 10000, 8000 whatever and I am wearing it. I have had my fit bit for 4 months or so. Does that mean I can't return it. Sure wish this issue was fixed

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try different charging methods. I was charging it with my XBOX one. When I
switched to a Samsung block the added steps ceased
Best Answer
0 Votes
Perhaps the ghost steps occur when the voltage waveform from the charger is noisy. Anyone think this could explain everything, or is there evidence to the contrary, eg ghost steps occurring when not on a charger?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

I went through 4 Versas. Had ghost steps both on and off the charger. I used several charging methods at home,at the office and in several different hotels in several different states. The only constant was the ghost steps! I did manage to get a refund after the initial period had passed. Unfortunately, any time I post how I achieved the refund, it is removed by the moderator because they don't allow that sort of communication. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Customer service will not let you swap a versa for anything. I tried,  but they said that was the only one they can't swap. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are ways. Think outside the box. Going through customer service at fitbit isn't going to help you at all. There is an agency that advocates for consumers who tried to get a resolution but were unsuccessful on there own. If I mention the name the moderator will likely delete the post. They might delete it anyway...

@shughesy wrote:

Customer service will not let you swap a versa for anything. I tried,  but they said that was the only one they can't swap. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well I thought I would try. Am so disappointed in my Versa. I had
Charge 2 and loved it. Thought I was upgrading when i bought the Versa.
Thought they might replace my Versa with the Ionic. Worth a try anyway.
Can't completely give up on Fitbit though.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa is still accumulating steps while charging and has been doing it on a weekly basis for the past few weeks... when is this going to be fixed.?.. Im extremely frustrated with this at the moment. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So this is ridiculous. Is there a fix date? I just bought this, and there is no point in wearing it if I wake up and it has 11,000+ steps on it. I changed it to driving, but it's still saying I have all of those steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's done this from the start... if you just purchased it, I suggest returning it. FitBit has been very slow and non responsive to those of us experiencing the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What would you suggest getting instead? I don't want to spend more on a tracker, but $200 for something that is screwed up isnt tcool!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know which tracker to recommend. But whatever one you go for be sure to read through a lot of reviews to see if people are reporting issues. The only other smart watch I have knowledge about is apple watch. My husband has never had an issue with his but that only works if you have an apple phone.

Best Answer

I echo previous sentiments about returning this while you can.  Fitbit may or may not release a fix soon but it's been months already.  New Charge 3 is expected to be available in 4-5 weeks, that may be a possibility or maybe a good deal on current Charge 2.  Ionic is more expensive and the Ionic forum is riddled with issues as well which is why I gave Versa a try in hopes they may have learned and put out a more polished product for their second attempt.  It seems Fitbit does a better job with their straight trackers such as the Charge series as opposed to their foray into  smart watch territory.

New Apple watch release slated for today and am interested in what changes they will bring but will sure to be much more expensive.

@EmilieW wrote:

What would you suggest getting instead? I don't want to spend more on a tracker, but $200 for something that is screwed up isnt tcool!

Best Answer