Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 heart rate variability

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey guys! I have two questions:

1. Why does the HRV only track when sleeping at night and not during the day at all?

2. What is a good range for HRV when sleeping? Mine is 20 every night and I have no idea if that is good or bad.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

I'm at 16. Wondering if better sleep and hydration will help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, they will. 

An hour of strenuous exercise will initially decrease the HRV, but after a second night of good sleep and relaxation during the day, it will begin to creep up. After a prolonged period of exercise, rest, exercise, rest, the figure will rise considerably. This is related to why medics tell you to get more exercise and get more sleep.

Best Answer

My Fitbit app only gives 1 week of info. I notice you have months worth. Do u have the premium version?

-------------------------------------------------

Do u need the premium ap to get more than 1 week of data Robert?

Best Answer
You do need the premium to see over a week of data.
Best Answer

LOL, mine was 9 last night. See you in heaven. 

Best Answer

Thank you for your insight! Feeling much better about what appears to be randomly changing numbers. 😩 Doing a trial of premium.

Best Answer
Please let me know if it’s worth it--
null
Best Answer

So I’m 57 and consider my self healthy I walk about 44 miles week eat healthy and have a BMI 25 why does sleep hrv show 20 is this ok?

Best Answer
0 Votes

HRV metrics are only meaningful if taken “at rest”. Breathing rate affects the HRV metrics, as does movement, ambient temperature and believe it or not, one’s state of sleep, hydration and food.
it’s best to use a reference measurement at the same time of day, the best is first thing in the morning, before breakfast - it’s a typical glucose fasting state. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s important go get the metric you are using. They are not all the same. A number is meaningless try and focus on the change. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think Richrv’s comments are excellent.  I got all excited about HRV and have been tracking it since earlier this year to see if I could improve it.  And yes, it can be done but it is next exactly as expected.  The number varies greatly and any one day or period could be influenced by something you are not aware of at the time of the reading(s) or may never know. 

Here are two HRV charts in Excel up to 11/4/21 to see my measurements over 2021 from my Versa 2:

HRV-11-13-21.PNGHRV-5dayavg-11-13-21.PNG

A couple notes from observations since tracking HRV:

• Stress on body plays a large negative impact on the reading.  It could be physical stress such as an intense workout or fighting a cold.  Or it could be mental stress such as a life event or you are carrying work related stress.
  • I found some of my highest readings were after multiple days of rest and relaxation.  I found my lower readings were attributed to ongoing workouts and life stress. 
  • I think increasing cardio capacity is better than strength training at improving HRV.
  • In general, when you are going about life, try to leave a little energy in the tank so you are energized for the next day/next workout.  Try to not work so hard you whittle yourself down to total exhaustion and get worn down. 
  • Rest is key.  If you don’t recover, you can’t build.

As you can see from my HRV charts, it goes up and down and I can’t always determine the reason.  Although, I sometimes question the accuracy and integrity of data from my Versa 2, I don’t know.  I am just going with the number when it is provided(Currently my Versa 2 hasn’t provided an HRV reading in over a week due a backend problem with Fitbit systems).  It seems like there are a lot of backend tweaks happening that cause issues with the device performance.  But in general, it is a reference point.

My takeaway is the same and not focus too much on HRV.  Try also using another basic fitness metric for a reference point about yourself.  How many pushups can you do or how long does it take you to run a hundred yards or a mile(s)?  For me, even though my HRV has been going down lately, I am improving in other areas.  So pick something to track and work on improving it.  Improving a physical metric is much more stable and will provide another indicator about your health besides a variable HRV metric that is hard to understand why you get the number you get.

I hope it helps...

Best Answer

Here are some very basic absolutes for me.

1.  More than 3 ounces of red wine will lower my HRV

2.  Beer always lowers my HRV

3.  Over exertion always lowers my HRV

4.  A rest day always increases my HRV

5.  I use a Charge four Fitbit, and the longer I sleep straight through the night, the better my score.  If I have insomnia, and finally get back to sleep for three or more hours, I’ll get a decent But not great HRV reading.

6.  Losing weight helps HRV a bit over time.

Alcohol plus a short nights sleep is the worst combination for me when it comes to HRV score on the charge 4.

Best Answer

Do you wear your band tightly? I am reading HRV threads because I thought I was on the verge of a heart attack based on how low mine is (11-17). 

Best Answer

Mine too. 12, 14, 11

... Wtheck

Best Answer

All these people reporting low numbers... at least you know you're not alone! When your number is high, you think, am I the only one? Using FitBit's RMSSD measure of HRV, I usually come in around 110 and have peaked at 140. I'm in my 50's. I'm reasonably fit but no athlete. Makes me think a pinch of salt is in order.

A partial explanation is that is that higher heart rates produce lower HRV scores. In principle, device makers could eliminate the influence HR has on HRV, but I don't think any of them have. FitBit hasn't. It's one reason my HRV is so high: I often wake to an HR of 42 to 50 bpm, and lower HR means higher HRV.

Do factor your HR in to any worrying you might be doing about your HRV.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Late to the thread but wtw? My resting HR is 54. I'm reasonably fit at 61, fitbit says good to excellent cardio shape. My sleep number bed gives me a HRV average of 78, yet fitbit gives me an average of 28 with occasional jumps into the 80s for 1 night. Which is correct? 50 pts is a pretty big difference! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just in case it makes any other lowbies feel better...

My HRV is typically between 7-9. Once I got an 11 but that was "outside my normal range." I am 41 and have been a runner for 20 years. I do yoga on my off days, and meditate daily. My BMI is healthy at 5'4" and about 130lbs. do not think I'm dying. However, I've always had a very high RHR, averaging around 85 to 90. I avoid caffeine and other stimulants, but it's always been this way. I imagine this is why my HRV reading is so low, and makes me suspicious about the accuracy of the Fitbit HRV scanner. So don't despair - see a doc if you're worried, but I don't think Fitbit is the best gauge of health in this metric 🙂

Best Answer

mine says 8, so I think I am going to die any day now

Best Answer