Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 is tracking too many steps while I'm sleeping

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

A few days ago, my Versa 2 buzzed me my 10,000 steps at around 8am. I looked down and saw that it was showing me over 40,000 steps! I'd only been awake for about an hour and was in the middle of walking my very small dog. Usually this morning walk would only record 1,000 or so steps. After that one hour, everything seemed to go back to recording normally again. I figured it was maybe just some weird glitch and had 4-5 days of totally normal/expected recording. Then this morning it happened AGAIN! The 8 am hour shows almost 60,000 steps! My phone auto-rebooted last night, but my watch hasn't in quite a while. So today I shut both down & booted them back up again, hoping that will fix it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? And/or found a solution? One time was no big deal, but if this keeps happening, it's going to kind of defeat the purpose of having the watch...

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi there, @NB1199. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for trying to troubleshoot the issue with your Versa 2 before reaching out. I understand where your concern is coming from. 

I'm wondering if you're using another app connected to your Fitbit account that will add more steps? Mobiletrack maybe? Low-power step sensors inside your phone track your steps and send the data to the Fitbit app. We recommend using MobileTrack if you forget your Fitbit device at home.

Note that adding more than one Fitbit device to your account gives you the convenience of switching between devices while still seeing a holistic view of your daily activity on your dashboard.

Fitbit devices have a finely-tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running. When working at a desk, cooking, or performing other activities with arm movements, a device on your wrist may add some steps. When you’re doing activities that involve arm movement—such as working or cooking—you often walk a few steps in-between stationary periods as well, so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. For most customers, the number of extra steps added by arm-based movement isn’t significant when compared to your overall stats. For more information, see How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity?

For additional information, see Does the wrist I wear my device on affect the accuracy? and What can I do if my step count seems inaccurate?

If you want to negate the steps tracked while you were sleeping, see How do I add, edit, or delete Fitbit data and activities?

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the response. I have nothing else connected to my Fitbit that I know of. I'm aware of the arm movement thing, but honestly I wasn't doing anything that I don't do every single day and I don't think I could even move my arm 40-50,000 times in ONE hour! The 2 times that this happened it was pretty much first thing in the morning (the second hour that I was awake & the first hour that I have set for reminders to move). The entire rest of the day was in completely in my normal range of hourly steps. It hasn't happened again since I rebooted both my Versa 2 and my phone (although it's only been a few days). Maybe it was just some weird glitch, since it doesn't seem like anyone else has experienced this. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, why did you change my topic? This does NOT happen while I'm sleeping - I clearly stated that it happened during my first hour awake....

Best Answer
0 Votes