Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 stopped working after the update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Lots of people are saying it won’t update. Don’t try! It is bricking the Versa 2 and they aren’t coming out with a fix and instead are telling people to get a new one. Just happened to me a few days ago. A responsible thing to do would be for them to fix it or replace it. At the very least, they could pull the update. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

To be fair, some of us have had no issues updating. Both my wife and I have Versa 2’s, neither has been a problem since we bought them shortly after they came out in 2019 (at least I think it was 2019). Our only complaint is the battery lasts maybe 4 days at best, where they used to last 6+ days when new.

The dilemma here is many of those who are happily using their Fitbit devices do not come onto the forum. I’m not implying anyone is doing anything wrong with their devices, just that it is not every device that is affected.

Best Answer

Hello there, @hugobuddy. Thanks for stopping by in the Community Forums. I understand where your concern is coming from and how you must be feeling. 

To better assist you, may I know the issue you started having after updating your Fitbit device? Along with this, I'd like to know if by any chance you've already tried some troubleshooting steps to solve the issue? If so, what did you try? 

@SunsetRunner It's nice to see you around the Community Forums! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Versa 2. I'm glad to hear you and your wife are happy with your Fitbit devices. 

Regarding the battery concern, please know as with other electronic devices, the battery will depend on the features and how often they're used, such as the GPS, Spotify app or the Always-On display. While this doesn't mean that you shouldn't use them, please take into into consideration the conditions that impact your watch's battery.

That being said, I'd recommend to change the clock face to one designed by Fitbit and please confirm if you've followed the tips and recommendations to maximize your watch's battery life described here.

Hope that helps. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

@MarreFitbit We only use the Fitbit clock faces. No worries as the devices are 3+ years old so I expect battery degradation from daily use. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My watch isn't bricked but I can't get to daily data on it after update.  Same experience with customer service.  They tried a few useless thing then jumped immediate to "it's out of warranty so we can't replace it."  I just want them to fix the update, allow us to go back to the old firmware.  

Best Answer

Hello!

My device had been working just fine until I updated on 10/08/22 and started noticing the battery would only last a few hours (typically dies in the middle of the night). Last night I went to bed with a full charge and when I woke up, the battery was dead. I have tried to charge it but the screen does not turn on. Not sure how I can troubleshoot it, please let me know what I can do! I've had it a little over a year and it had worked perfectly fine until now 😞

Best Answer

Since the update I can’t get my heart rate and active minutes to update like they’re supposed to… They just stopped all of a sudden and my battery isn’t staying charged more than 24 hours as well

Best Answer

Lol. So you're okay Jack!! But imagine if your watch was one of those affected like many users. Would you be so understanding? Me thinks not. The new Fitbit upgrade is making some Versa 2 watches unusable. I don't care if it's one or one thousand. My watch was working perfectly before the update and now it's lying in my drawer. Glad you can use yours though. That's what counts... 👍

Best Answer

Correct. Out of warranty. Buy a new watch. Really?? Never mind the consumer protection act. I bought a watch that is now not working due to damage done by a Fitbit software "upgrade". 

Best Answer

I've had no resting heart rate nor does it track my sleep anymore. Which is 2 functions I kinda relied on. Mine has been bricked like this for nearly a month now and I've tried everything to fix it. It's basically a very expensive watch that tracks my steps now. I could've bought a $20 pedometer if that's all I wanted to track. I'm highly disappointed that Fitbit refuses to fix these issues for us. Not all of us can afford to go out and buy another $200 Fitbit. 

Best Answer

I’m having a similar problem. My battery dies after a couple of hours 

Best Answer

I’ve had various Fitbits since 2014. I bought my Versa in 2018 and it worked just fine until the last update. Since then: no heart rate, and only simplified sleep details. I’m a premium member, but not receiving those services. I’ve tried all of the “fixes” suggested by the website. Nothing works. So…….. I’m ready to quit. 

Best Answer

Extremely frustrating … 22 month old  Versa 2 battery suddenly went wacko on 10/9/2022.  Then versa 2 stopped keeping accurate time, then wouldn’t synch. I have latest firmware and Fitbit original clock face.   I followed all the steps, about 8 times, to correct the problems. It worked for 12 hours and now I can’t keep the versa 2 open and working. I reboot and the clock time won’t  move forward unless I can get it to reboot and manually synch. Now I see in this forum that many people are having same frustration and the timing of these issues is all within the last 4 days. What does Fitbit plan to do to fix this issue?  I need an answer … do I need to buy a new device?  Your answer will shape my next purchasing decision.  Thank you. 

Best Answer

Hi. Unless Fitbit rolls back the upgrade or povides a fix, your watch will be useless. Rolling back the upgrade is a very easy thing for them to do but they have not done that. They continue to provide the same crappy responses and problem solving. I have factory reset my watch, changed the clock face and done all other troubleshooting with no result. My watch (which I use on a daily basis) is now lying in my drawer. Unusable. I am not able to purchase a new watch at this stage but if I could, I would certainly not purchase a Fitbit. There inability so resolve this issue quickly and with the proper communication to clients has left a very bad taste in my mouth. When I contacted them telephonically they refused to accept that there is a problem. Or that they are working on a fix. I was sent a link to their new products to purchase a new watch. Disgusting response. Buy yourself an Apple or Samsung watch. Both these companies care about what happen with their customers and being big, would never roll out an upgrade without proper testing. 

Best Answer

My Versa 2 bricked after the firmware update, no solution yet from customer service. The watch just continuously restarts before reaching the clock face, just the blue logo on and off repeatedly. It's a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed. It was working just fine before the firmware update.

Best Answer

Indeed but they are not doing anything at this stage to resolve the issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no reason in the world that Fitbit can't/ won't keep the previous version (at least) available when they issue a new one. I keep a copy of 3.62 on my phone available at all times. That way, when a new version doesn't work with my phone, I revert back to it until a newer version comes out. If that works, I use it. If not, I stay with the old 3.62...

Best Answer

This is almost mine identical… And in addition last night it stop telling time at 8 PM and completely shut itself off… Battery isn’t lasting more than five or six hours… So last night I canceled all my subscriptions with Fitbit and bought a offbrand from Amazon that got 9000 positive reviews… For only 30 bucks

Best Answer

Indeed. Terrible service. Actually quite unbelievable really. Fitbit is fully aware of the problem but instead of quickly rolling back the update or providing a fix, they have decided "screw you" and everyone affected now has the wonderful option of buying a new Fitbit watch. No Fitbit watches for me thanks. EVER. And I will make 100% certain that everyone I know doesn't make the same mistake I did. 

Best Answer

Follow up:   After two very long calls to Fitbit support about my whacked out versa 2, during which they told me to do all the things on the support web page that I’d already tried twice, they said they’d send me an email with a resolution.  The email was a 35% off coupon that couldn’t be activated for 24 hours for a new Fitbit.  Guess what they are still selling … Versa 2s!   I’ve been a loyal Fitbit user since early 2014.  Knowing that Fitbit/Google knows there’s a problem with Versa 2s but will not acknowledge it, broke my loyalty. Not interested in waiting 24 hours to even consider the discount, I immediately ordered a Garmin smartwatch on Amazon and it’s pretty wonderful. 

Best Answer