Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 3 swim app won't show real-time laps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I upgraded to a Versa 3 after a warranty fail on my Versa Special Edition (which I LOVED!!!). However, I have found out that the Versa 3 has no real-time laps, pace or distance notifications for swimming?? A regression on the earlier model!! It is also completely inaccurate for logging the data post-swim. Anytime you want to see metrics it refers you back to the phone. The reason I even have a Fitbit is for swim tracking!! Effectively I have purchased an expensive stopwatch that isn't even accurate. Please tell me there is a software update to fix this or this dud piece of product is going back and I'm switching brands. Sooooo, so disappointed 😞 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @RunGary @t.parker @HadassahB @soxy.1234We acknowledge the limitation we have on our part particularly on what you have experienced. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments with regards to our products and services.

Please note that heart-rate tracking is disabled during your swim workout. 

On the other hand, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about showing real-time laps on your Versa 3 while swimming. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. As @HadassahB has pointed out, I'd suggest adding your comment and vote to this feature: Please add swim lap counting to Versa 3. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Thank you so much for your feedback and for participating in our community!
Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

Tracking my swimming (and cycling) are important to me too - just finding out that in addition to not tracking laps on the watch, the Versa 3 doesn't track heart rate at all during a swim. It would be great to show heart rate during a swim, but at least to be able to see it on the app afterwards would be a minimum. Very disappointed as well. 

Best Answer

Hello, to those who are interested in this topic, I've been in an online chat with Fitbit.  Apparently if there aren't enough angry swimmers they won't solve this issue.  So there's no timeline for a resolution which means I'll probably be leaving the Fitbit community shortly.  This wearable is useless if it can't track swimming (as advertised).  I'm gob-smacked that two models up from my previous Fitbit Versa has less capabilities as a tracker.  But, oh sure....   I can answer my phone on my wrist and log into Spotify (which you could kind of do with the old Versa anyway)..  I'm beyond disappointed. 

Sooooo for those of you who are continuing to battling on with their device in the pool....  Vote here for lap-counting!  And best of luck!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Please-add-swim-lap-counting-to-Versa-3/idi-p/44... 

Best Answer

This is  the first  name  of  the  new  name that  use  different depending 

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

Good luck with that. Here's a similar thread for Versa 2/3 started in 2019 right after releasing Versa 2:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Swimming-should-show-more-stats-time-distance-or...

Best Answer

It's clear they are more focused on fancy clockfaces than providing basic athletic data. Maybe I'm old school, but a basic digital stopwatch did a lot of the functions at a much lower price. To upgrade from my Charge 2 to a Versa 3 (mostly for visibility reasons - can't see a thing on Charge while working out, even the newer version) and not get any more functionality seems crazy.  And it's hard to listen to spotify while swimming or cycling so that is a wasted function for me.   I just posted a suggestion that they build a tracker that has what is needed for running, cycling and swimming, but with a clear clockface and without a lot of the fancy extras that to me just clog up the device from getting to what I need.  Hope they listen - what are the number of votes that they need to make a change?

Best Answer

@RunGary  Putting blaming aside I have certaim view in Fitbit. I don't think sports tracking is a main function and goal for Fitbit. These devices are more health trackers leaning towards smartwatches rather than full-blown sports trackers. The sports side was always rather neglected by Fitbit. Trying to release watch purely for athletes is pretty much stepping into the field already taken by Garmin, Polar or even Suunto. It happens but even now, when Garmin released new watch it seems like it tries to get a piece of cake that belongs to Coros and users are very sceptical. Fitbit would perform similar stunt trying to make a watch for athletes. It's not only better swim, run and cycling tracking but everything else around that, the whole analytics environment which now is pretty much non-existent, adding modes like triathlon, multisport, external sensors (otherwise, it would be the Suunto 7 story repeated but for Fitbit). In other words, creating a product which speaks to demanding athletes would be hell of work. I think, Fitbit knows what is doing and its selling point is simplicity. Doing simple stuff and revolving around overall health. Athletes already chose and it would be very hard and very expensive for the company to convice them to jump ships. For that reason, I do not believe that any of the ideas posted in Feature Suggestion forum related to such features will ever come true. My view doesn't try to justify though removing successful features from new models. It's just how I see the Fitbit's strategy. In my opinion, athletes who want a lot more should look for something different. On the other hand, people who want to get in shape, start moving more, eat and sleep better could be very happy with Fitbit. Different goals, different audiences.

Best Answer

Hi @RunGary @t.parker @HadassahB @soxy.1234We acknowledge the limitation we have on our part particularly on what you have experienced. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments with regards to our products and services.

Please note that heart-rate tracking is disabled during your swim workout. 

On the other hand, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about showing real-time laps on your Versa 3 while swimming. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. As @HadassahB has pointed out, I'd suggest adding your comment and vote to this feature: Please add swim lap counting to Versa 3. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Thank you so much for your feedback and for participating in our community!

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, Maria. I added my vote already and shared it to this thread. I also voted with my wallet and purchased a Garmin. I honestly cannot understand how the Versa 3 has the swim track capabilities of the Flex 2 when the original Versa had real lap time counts. It was a great tracker in comparison to what is presently on offer. And, for me, the post-swim sync was wildly inaccurate. I hope the developers can take this on board for the Fitbit swimming community. From what I've read, there's a lot of dissatisfaction out there. 

Best Answer

@HadassahB Any time! Thanks for your comments. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @MarreFitbit ,

my understanding is actually that, differently from Sense, Versa 3 doesn't have the gyroscope (like Versa 2 while the elder model original Versa had it) so this is the reason it can't track real-time laps.

So I don't think that the feature suggestion has some reasons to be open and should be closed as not possible. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong, I would really be happy to be corrected.

Best Answer

I agree with @Giampi71. Any mention of Gyroscope is completely missing from the Versa 3 specifications. It would be good if a Moderator could confirm if this is intentional or in fact a mistake.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Hello Marre, I never discussed heart rate monitoring during swimming, I just wanted lap counting and distance notifications restored. I see my post has been marked as solved. Does this mean the Fitbit Versa 3 can now track lap counts and give distance notifications like the original Versa?

Best Answer

Applies on Versa2 also. Please add to watch screen lap counter (like was on my Versa which died) It is called Lap Swimming!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HadassahB @Archie_K regardless what @MarreFitbit or any other moderators can say the feature can NOT be made available on Versa.2.and 3 because of hardware limitation (lack.of gyroscope), such a big regression compared to the original Ionic and Versa, a limitation that Fitbit didn't (and doesn't) proper highlight in the store.

Best Answer
Thanks Hassan. Guess that’s what happens when you think a newer version will be better (or just as good as) than the original.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Archie_K 

@Giampi71 

I returned this Fitbit last year and totally switched brands immediately after discovering the Versa 3 was misrepresented in it's capabilities. I'm now driving a Garmin Venu on my wrist. And I LOVE it! It tracks real-time in the pool and the post-swim, on-wrist metrics are really useful in working towards your PBs. Definitely recommend if you're looking for an attractive alternative!!

Best Answer

I definitely understand your choice. 

Best Answer

I have been waiting 3 years for this fix in versa 2, and now versa 3, to do what my very old Fitbit was able to. Seriously considering switching to Apple Watch over this issue that Fitbit doesn’t seem to care about at all. Why would they remove function from newer products?!? 

Best Answer
0 Votes