Able to sync Fitbit device over Wi-Fi (not via phone)

Hi Devteam, I think it is a great idea to sync the fitbit Ionic over Wi-Fi. because a lot of mobile phones are not syncing or get connected with the fitbit watch. I use my workphone to sync all the time (samsung S7).

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

54 Comments
Deepak007
First Steps

I started update over Bluetooth and after 90 minutes I do see hardly 20% update was done, user must be informed about update time(Min, Ma) over WIFI and Bluetooth. Very disappointing... it just say it may take a while.. how user decide what time frame is take a while 😞 Can you please fix this?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

When that happens to me, I kill the app and restart the download.

For me it took 40 minutes including the one restart.

Kalman
First Steps

Hello Fitbit

I am a recent owner of a new Ionic. The Ionic is fantastic but there is one area I would like to see improved.

I would like to see the ability to sync with the app via my home wifi network. Wifi technology is much more stable than Bluetooth. Maybe have an option to choose. Since the device can already connect to wifi, I doubt this would be a big undertaking.

Otherwise happy with product.

Kalman

JohnnyRow
Cosmic Hurdler

I always sync via wifi from my phone to the Fitbit database.

I wonder if you actually mean connect between tracker and phone.

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @JohnnyRow ! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

Threemoons
Runner

NONE of the third party apps work on the Ionic without linking directly to the phone.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Threemoons that is not completely true, third party apps that do not need access to the Internet will work without a phone. 

To save battery WiFi is only turned on while the tracker is charging. 

Threemoons
Runner
<quote>@Threemoons that is not completely true, third party apps that do not need access to the Internet will work without a phone. 

To save battery WiFi is only turned on while the tracker is charging. </>

I didn't mean all 3rd party apps, just the map apps alas...I thought this bad boy had onboard GPS....

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Yes @Threemoons the ionic has GPS and selected exercise tracking can use it without you even having the phone with you. 

Threemoons
Runner
<quote>Yes @Threemoons the ionic has GPS and selected exercise tracking can use it without you even having the phone with you. </quote>

Um, WHICH apps/functionalities use the built in GPS?  Trying to wrap my head around it and how I can see my location on a map without my phone.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Walk, hike, run, bike, weather, maps, there is an app that displays local sites based on gps. A few clock faces also display weather. 

Threemoons
Runner
<quote>Walk, hike, run, bike, weather, maps, there is an app that displays local sites based on gps. A few clock faces also display weather.</quote>

Well, can you give me ONE walking app that shows a live map without a phone?  Because I can't find one.

ALE00
Keeping Pace

Bluetooth only phone sync is limiting when at home. It means I either have to grab my phone if I go upstairs/downstairs or outside for more than a few minutes, or I potentially have to go without the benefit of getting notifications on my Versa. I'd love for the Versa to be able to stay connected with the phone over WiFi when out of Bluetooth range. To conserve battery, the WiFi radio would only need to be on when a Bluetooth connection can't be established, which would typically only be at home. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ALE00. Thanks for taking the time to explain why you'd like to have the option to sync and connect your Versa over WiFi. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Threemoons there is a couple of map apps for the ionic that will so what you want.

For the other trackers that do not have built in GPS your request will be impossible. However this is not related to the subject of the thread. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
As smart watches become more advanced, I believe it is important for the watch to be able to sync health data, messages and missed calls through saved WIFi networks that are stored on the mobile device (Wear OS version is cloud Sync) so you don't always have to keep your phone nearby allowing greater versatility.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to sync watch over Wi-Fi (not via phone). Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

MrSteddy
Recovery Runner
In Australia, our public phone boxes are also Wifi hotspots. If your home broadband is with Telstra, then Phone box Wifi access is included for free. This Wifi uses capture portal login with home broadband credentials as user pass. I would like my Fitbit sense to connect to these hotspots.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MrSteddy , thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to sync watch over Wi-Fi (not via phone). This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our  FAQs. I hope to see you around.

Pepsy_SI
Jogger
WiFi on the watch is only used for updating firmware and side loading apps for development. This means in order for developed app to work is to send WebSocket API requests via Bluetooth (Companion) and telephone to WiFi and than our server. So every smart watch needs an phone or other Android device with WiFi, …
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Pepsy_SI, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to sync smartwatches over Wi-Fi (not via phone). This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

MrSteddy
Recovery Runner

@Pepsy_SI - Not quite. To make ‘calls’ you can use WhatsApp, Teams, Slack, Facebook, FaceTime. When I said making calls I simply meant the ability to contact my wife via any method that involves audio over Wifi. Doesn’t need to use a cellular connection / and probably better if it doesn’t.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

People have mentioned with the Google voice option on the Versa 3 and Sense they are able to make outgoing calls. 

As for using WiFi to make calls. Currently WiFi is only turned on while the tracker is off the arm and charging. 

Also when not at home, you would need the phone to configure the WiFi. 

blacknblue
Base Runner
I don't like having wifi turned on my phone all the time with the app open. Can we use the built-in Versa 2 wifi?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @blacknblue, thanks for explaining why you would like to sync your Versa 2 over Wi-Fi. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.