Add EKG to future watches

Now that Apple has proven the ability to add EKG to a main stream wearable it would be great if that were an option in future Fitbit watches. Those of us who love Android devices and keeping everything within the Fitbit app, would find great benefit to the addition of EKG sensors in future watches. 

59 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @Stew11b, I think just like you. I'm sure this would be useful for lots of users. We look forward to hearing what other community members think. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would love to see Fitbit watches with the ability to take an EKG.  My wife has a heart condition where having the ability to take and EKG as well as monitor and send alerts for irregular heart beat or AFib would be add more peace of mind.  I have been considering getting an Apple watch because of the EKG options that they have.  Are there more heart monitoring programs that Fitbit is working on?

letsdothis29
First Steps

Hi there! I think it would be a great idea to add the ECG feature to a new watch like Apple has! I would really enjoy this feature, as I am sure other would too! Fitbit watches are way for affordable than Apple watches. PLEASE PLEASE add the ECG feature to a new watch!!

Moderator Edition: Updated title for clarity

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us @letsdothis29We look forward to hearing what other community members think. Woman Happy

kevinsc
First Steps

I'd second this - especially since the ECG feature on the Apple watch is not available outside the US (not that they mention this anywhere). Or partner with a 3rd-party product that can already do an ECG?

Shell411
First Steps

I have had a fitbit for years and it changed my life but helping me understand and improve my sleep and resting heart rate. I have never been tempted to get an Apple watch until now 😞  Given that the ECG come be a critical key in identifying heart rhythm abnormalities I might have to considered switching.  I was really hoping that Fitbit would come out with an ECG feature on the Charge and will hold off for a couple months to see if Fitbit starts working on a market response to Apple's new health feature.   Personally given that Fitbit is revolved around being a teammate for your health I'm surprised Apple beat them to the ECG. 

iforkish
Jogger

I as a company Fitbit is evasive on this issue. Medically this would help with a condition I have. Now with an initial Ionic I don't understand why not.

rottacabba
Jogger

https://www.cnet.com/news/former-google-contractor-says-she-was-axed-after-asking-for-full-time-job/

Just finished reading apple watch's latest news on cnet (see above link). I am guessing the technology is already there for fitbit as well, it's just matter of time and effort to develop the software. I hope Fitbit officials see this article.

rottacabba
Jogger
MIM1949
Strider

Fitbit needs to make the most of the trackers capability. It already tracks HR and provides a graph of HR zone. Adding an EKG function should be possible. Apple has it. Fitbit needs it.

Withings is soon releasing a tracker with ECG capability. Come on Fitbit. Catch up. And don't save it for a new release like Fitbit4 to milk more money from loyal users.

calrep
First Steps

As a newly diagnosed afib patient, I am looking into the Kardia/Apple Watch/iPhone band of continual afib monitoring.  It would be good to know if Fitbit has any plans for such an addition that would work on an android system.  I have used the Kardia portable EKG for about a year, and it is an amazing product.  I hate to have to spend the extra money necessary to move to Apple.  It will be good to know if any such product is in the works from Fitbit.

DJsimonroberts
First Steps

you should add this because you can see what your heart rhythm is and it incorporates professional medical perspectives and i think it would be cool to see what your heart rate/rhythm is  

Kayles77
First Steps

I had a stroke 3 years ago at the age of 38 and I've just been to see my neurologist for my yearly check up. He actually told me about the Apple watch doing this and suggested it might be a good idea for me to get one as previous tests have found nothing wrong with my heart but he suspects it may be something very intermittent. However, like most people here, I am wholly an Android user and I don't really want to have to change my phone over just to be able to use an Apple watch specifically for this feature. However, if there is no sign of Fitbit making advances here in the near future, I will look at changing anyway.

iforkish
Jogger
One thing too consider is that spoke watches must be charged at night so
episodes in your sleep will be missed. My Fitbit caught everyone in my
sleep from some heart conditions.

Ira Forkish
Viceversa
Recovery Runner

Apple is moving beyond fitness and into medical. Fitbit will need to adapt to keep up, not just with the devices but also the ecosystem and the integration with the healthcare system. If I'm having afib issues, dont just alert me, alert my doctor !.

HollieAyne
Base Runner

Having an EKG option is basically a no brainer at this point. There is already continuous heart rate monitoring. I am a FitBit lover and an Android girl but with Apple having an EKG option that is a strong pull for me to switch. Heart disease runs in my family hence by active lifestyle. I'm working hard to break the cycle and would love to have an EKG option on my FitBit!

JagZone
Jogger

Great idea....Withings is about to release a watch with ECG feature in 209

@letsdothis29 wrote:

Hi there! I think it would be a great idea to add the ECG feature to a new watch like Apple has! I would really enjoy this feature, as I am sure other would too! Fitbit watches are way for affordable than Apple watches. PLEASE PLEASE add the ECG feature to a new watch!!

Moderator Edition: Updated title for clarity

Intrigued2b
Recovery Runner

I love fitbit! I've been wearing them for years.  They are reknowned for their "health" monitoring.  NOW Apple will be surpassing Fitbits largest commodity.  I don't know the logistics but since they have the heart rate sensors, I hope they come up with the software to utilize them for EKG reading I am considering buying the Versa, but having EKG readings is important to me.  I have ventricular and atrial arrhythmias. So I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Versa with the hope the software will get updated with EKGs or to get another Charge 2 for now and see what the future brings. 

Intrigued2b
Recovery Runner

If Fitbit is unsure whether the demand equals the investment in Ekgs, I hope they realize a large majority of wearers don't come to this forum. This is mu first time They need to put the question out the on Social media to get a true 

Kayles77
First Steps
I had a stroke a few years back but they couldn't find a cause and my
neurologist says it may be that I have a very occasional heart palpitation,
so he suggested I get the new Apple watch because they can measure ECG but
I've always been an Android user, I don't want to have to change
everything. I am going to get the new Versa and just hope that they're
software will catch up. Either that or I will win lotto and be able to
afford to change over to Apple!
Intrigued2b
Recovery Runner
I hope it's the latter!!
LaurieFreya
Jogger

I just bought a Charge 3 and have to return it bc it's DOA. However, after hearing about the EKG feature on the new Apple watches, it gave me pause - do I purchase a Fitbit or an Apple watch? It's an incredibly important feature; I'm surprised that this isn't already a feature for Fitbit. They should be following the medical swing that Apple is making. Also, would it be a software upgrade for current models of Versa/Charge or would it have to be a new product? If so, you may lose out to Apple as consumers - like me - may buy on that one feature alone. 

Kayles77
First Steps
I have to agree. If I'd already had an iPhone I would've gone for the Apple
watch, but because I'm a Samsung user I stuck with Fitbit. Let's see what
happens in the future...
tracy57
Jogger

I will have to swap to an apple watch within this year (summer time) for medical reasons if Fitbit does not have one - I have heath conditions where it will be useful to have an EKG.  I have Ankylosing Spondylosis with bradycardia (non transmission issues started up this year) and an EKG/alarms will be helpful (I get skips, and have had 1 bout of afib.),

sosly76
First Steps

I think for the most part it is fair to say that we understand it isn't a medical device but having the feature of an EKG can benefit many. For my reason of wanting it is, that I have sometimes my O2 levels drop dangerously low. Of course on testing day at the doctors or hospital it never does it. I would like the EKG feature with the heart rate monitor to show my doctors the data.

But most of all if it can save 1 person's life isn't it worth having this feature? 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.