Add Spotify music control for the Charge 5

It would be great if music controls could be added to the Charge 5
I have this on my Versa 1 which is several years old now
General music controls are great as you can use them whilst in an exercise
If that's not technically possible, then the Spotify Controls App for the Charge 4 being made available for the Charge 5 would make sense

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

94 Comments
Mamaraia19
First Steps

I thought the Charge 5 had an ECG

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @yapofire, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding Spotify music control for the Charge 5 with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

A.P.
Recovery Runner

My Charge 4 already has Spotify control but I can't upgrade to the newer Charge 5 model because somewhat oddly/inexplicably the newer model has removed this feature? Why would I buy the newer Charge 5 when it can't do Spotify control? If a Spotify software fix is planned for the Charge 5, when will it be released please?

pcp9588
Jogger
I thought you can control spotify with the new charge 5. That's why I purchased it.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @pcp9588, thanks for sharing this suggestion about adding the Spotify music control feature back on the Charge 5 with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

mel4fitness
Recovery Runner

Hello, 

Please add Spotify to the Charge 5 as it helps tremendously when running. When will we know if this app will be added? I’ll go back to my older Fitbit in the meantime. I don’t want to return the Charge 5 but will if this can’t be added. 
Thank you,

AlexCald
First Steps

Yes, please. I can’t understand how such a basic functionality can be removed from a product that is so closely related to music. Hopefully this is addressed quickly as I don’t want to go through the hassle of selling my newly bought Charge 5 (and I expect it would be quite hard to sell once more people find they can’t control music with it).

revonox
Jogger

Definitely a much needed feature. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wonder if the metal contacts on the sides could be used as prev/next buttons in a way as well. Though I suppose that would lead to a lot of accidental touches.

Phoenix45
First Steps

The specs for the Charge 5 claim you can access Spotify which is why I bought it only to find you can’t ?

You need to update your descriptions to avoid false advertising or better yet add the app back in!!!!

Klh_tx
Jogger

TOTALLY AGREE… 

Malitthh
Jogger
Adding music control option (Apple Music,Spotify) in to the charge 5
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Malitthh, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding music control to Charge 5. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Kevsanf
Jogger
It will so helpful to be able to control your Spotify music thru the charge 5 is kind of annoying that they charge 4 can dos this and the latest model 5 can’t
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Kevsanf, thanks for sharing this suggestion about adding Spotify music control to the Charge 5 with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Scholfield03
Stepping Up

How many votes are needed for this feature to get approval? I find it ridiculous that this feature hasn't been added yet when it was already on the charge 4. I am at the point where I am considering returning the device and being done with Fitbit forever. 

dus10clark
First Steps

Would also love to see this feature be added!

KayteeT
Jogger

Please add this feature! Thank you.

EricVader
Jogger

Please add Spotify controls to charge 5 , it makes no sense when The charge 5 is capable of more   . when upgrading to the newest model as customers we expect previous features plus new ones so taking away base features on the older models makes no sense 

craigpeake
Jogger

I'm really glad I found this thread before I bought this! Very surprised the Charge 5 doesn't have music control. Such a shame as it'd have otherwise been a good product!

WinterPhoenix
Jogger

Bizarre that the Charge 4 has it but the Charge 5 doesn't.

Please bring controlling music functionality back!

A.P.
Recovery Runner

Removal of Spotify control from the Charge was raised by various users on this forum in Sep last year and has attracted over 100 votes, which probably means that 1000s of users are affected but simply can't be bothered complaining. So far, Fitbit moderator's comments have asked users to vote or use the Fitbit 'suggested feature' process to add 'a new feature', but this is not an answer to the questions we would like answered please.

The questions remains:

1. Why hasn't Fitbit explained to its users why the Spotify control feature was removed from the Charge 5 when it was already a feature in the Charge 4?

2. What is the likely fix date or is this just never going to happen?

3. If Spotify control is not going to be fixed quickly by Fitbit can you please show where Spotify has informed upgrading users that if they purchase the newer Charge 5 it will include a Spotify feature downgrade. It is a reasonable purchasing assumption that the newer version of the same product will be at least as good and perhaps more fully featured than the old version, not worse. Accordingly, currently the advertising might be considered to be "misleading by omission" which could be contrary to consumer laws in some countries. Where are buyers informed of the change?

4. Why is fitbit asking users to submit a 'feature request' for a feature already offered in the previous product version?

I would appreciate a specific response to each of these four questions please. Thank you

AlexCald
First Steps

I agree with AP. We need answers as we have been misled.

Having the feature suggestion pointed out by the support team even tricked me into thinking that this feature would be coming soon, so in that naive trust, I lost the timing to resell my then recently purchased Charge 5. It's been 4 months since I've made the first complaint and no commitment for this or response on a timeline was given (I guess someone will come here and mention the section about how they prioritize development, which doesn't really explain anything). Now the information about the lack of this feature is out and I can't find anyone to buy it.

I'm stuck with a product that I paid a lot for not doing what it was expected to do since music is a big part of exercise routines. Having to reach my cellphone to control music while running is completely annoying. The end result will be that I'll find some other product (by another brand, of course) and the Charge 5 will be one more lump of plastic/metal gathering dust somewhere. Very frustrating.

JoPoole78
First Steps

I was led to believe the charge 5 had Spotify control commands and am very disappointed to find out that it doesn’t as this was one of the main reasons why I bought it .  Please can this feature be added in the near future. Thanks so much 

bonkeydave
Jogger

Hi, yes i would love this to be added - i was under the impression it was. Alas i was wrong...

--------

We need this adding back, i thought the 5 had this or that was what i was led to believe.

Constance87
First Steps

I just got the Fitbit Charge 5 and went out for my first run yesterday. I discovered I was not able to control the music using my Fitbit!? It was such a big disappointment, and I really

hope that this will be added as a feature since they already had the options with Spotify for previous versions of Fitbit! It seems like a software issue and not a hardware issue so it shouldn’t be that har to implement? It would be so nice to have so that you can easier control music while running. Thank you 😊🙏🏼

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.