Add altimeter to the Inspire series trackers

I'd like you to consider adding the altimeter to the new inspire HR.  I guess I thought that was just a given to have that option.  I currently have the Blaze but wanted something smaller and thought the Inspire HR was perfect till I read that it doesn't have an altimeter.  I run stairs as part of my regular work out so I really need this option.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject & label

46 Comments
maryannedutton
First Steps

Please make Inspire clip with stairs climbed feature, I bought the Fitbit one for this expressed reason and it looks as if many others want the clip feature with stairs in addition to steps. Thank you! I do not like a band. 

Moderator Edition: format and personal info. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us @maryanneduttonWe look forward to hearing what other community members think. Robot Happy

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @bergtholdm! We look forward to hearing what other community members think about having this option on the Inspire! Smiley Happy

Sammystarbuck
Jogger

I agree wholeheartedly!

I currently have a "One", and was looking to upgrade it now that there's another non-wristband option (sensitive skin, wristbands rip my skin off!), but the ability to count floors is equally as important to me as steps. If it gets added, I'll be first in line to buy one, otherwise, my One and I are going to battle on to the bitter end... 😉 

Theresa222
Runner

i have only ever had the Fitbit Charge HR as i like that its small, thin and has a small screen. i don't like the look of the ones with a large screen. i was thinking about an upgrade but the only Fitbit i like the look of is the new Inspire HR one. for some reason it doesn't have the Floors option? this is one of the best features and i aim for a certain amount of floors every day. i also have achieved loads of badges for my floors so don't want to use a Fitbit that won't carry on with floor counting!

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Theresa222  Thank you for your suggestion. I moved it to this one, as this one, is very similar, and here it will get the attention it needs. 

Please don't forget to leave your vote. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@JuanFitbit  we're also have this request which is similar. 

Stairs added to clip...Inspire

You may want to merge this one also

Adding this feature to the inspire HR will require a completely redesigned inspire HR and basically make the unit a Charge 3.

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@Rich_Laue  Thank you for your post and suggestion. I replied you over private message. 

Recovery Runner

The lack of an altimeter to count floors is the one thing that has stopped me from buying the Inspire.  Otherwise it would fulfill everything I am looking for.  Floors is a good motivational tool to make a person go out and look for stairs or hills to climb and greatly enhances fitness.  Please make it happen.

Natasha2019
First Steps

I wanted to offer some feedback and see how it votes. I own about 2-3 of your trackers at a time (love how I can sync over to a number of devices during the day depending on the occasion).  And I'm a huge Fitbit fan (obviously) BUT I still can't get over that you have left the altimeter out of the my new Inspire HR, I had been waiting to upgrade my Alta HR for that very reason and I just assumed you would include that function.  I thought it might be too small, but Garmin Vivosmart 4 is small and has one so you must have deliberately left it out.  I think it's good you are catering to cheaper less featured trackers (Inspire) and more advanced smart watch types (Ionic, Versa), but please consider bringing out a more petite type tracker with everything - I sold my Charge HR 3 as it looks way too big on my wrist.  It would be great to have a middle ground Charge 3 type watch packaged in the Inspire HR - which is better for people with small wrists that want it all but it a lighter more stylish wearable - I really believed that's where you would go with the Inspire HR. Next one please, and I'll be ready to purchase.

Moderator edit:  updated subject for clarity

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Natasha2019 ! Thank you for your feedback and suggestion. I moved your post here, as this one is a similar suggestion. 

Let's see what other members think

Heather-S
5K Racer

An altimeter is a hardware function, not software, so to an add an altimeter would mean an entirely new device you'd have to buy.  It also adds some bulk to the device and would likely increase the cost.  An altimeter can't just be added in a software update.  You need a new device, so I'd recommend the Charge 3.

Natasha2019
First Steps

Agree also, I wrote a comment on this also.

Natasha2019
First Steps

FinanceBabe Yes I know it’s a hardware function and I’m asking for it to be considered for future models, so yes it would mean buying a new one (in the future hopefully).  Also you are incorrect about the altimeter in some form, if you see in my post I mentioned that I assumed it was due to size that Fitbit didn’t include it, but Garmin can fit one in their very small Vivosmart 4, so I assume Fitbit are more trying to keep the costs down and cater to different people’s wants. I also posted I bought and sold by Fitbit Charge 3 as it’s too big on my wrist.  I could just go ahead and change models and buy Garmin’s VivoSmart 4, but I want to stay with Fitbit so I’m just asking if they will consider the change in future.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Natasha2019 you might be asking for the altimeter to be added to a future device,  but this request is for the altimeter to be added to an existing device. 

As for size,  yes barometers come in various sizes and the smaller the sensor the smaller the changes. Most people can not feel the 0.02 psi change in pressure on their skin when doing up a 10 foot stairway. Let's say that the sensor is .02 square inches this sensor will set a change of 1/50th of a pound, or 0.0004 of a pound. Like trying to weigh a 2×2.25 square piece of paper while on top of a stack of 28 sheets of paper. 

You are correct that the options are based on price and Fitbit's decision on where to focus the research.  Since the altimeter reading never been used for any calculations other than to display stairs. Which in itself has been very irritating to some, especially  when simply walking in front of a fan may add stairs,  I can understand leaving this out. 

Theresa222
Runner

well until they bring out a nice small type Fitbit like the new Inspire HR with the floors then i will continue to use my Charge HR. i hate anything bulky on my wrist and the Charge HR is small and light. i actually prefer the small screen too. i was going to upgrade to the Inspire HR as i have not liked the look of any other models, then i realised it doesn't count floors. this is an important feature for me along with steps and miles. i would rather do away with calories burnt than floors and maybe even the heart rate.

Awesome idea!

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Heather-S @Natasha2019 @Rich_Laue @Theresa222 @claudintheskyy ! Thanks for leaving your comments regarding this feature request. Please be respectful to other users and their comments, as this is a place to share ideas. If an idea/suggestion could be integrated or if it's doable, it will be analyzed and decided by our team.  We appreciate all the comments and ideas as these help us improve our products in order to satisfy the users needs.  

Lovely0222
Premium User
Jogger

Great Idea!

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

kc9agz
Recovery Runner

I like the idea that the Inspire can be removed from a strap and used with a clip more along the lines of the old One. However, I really wish the ability to track floors went along with this version of fitbit.  Is there anyway to add floor counting to the design? Or possibly create another model like the One that can be clipped instead of worn like a watch.  I know those are very popular, however the clip type work much better for me.  I know any others who were very disappointed the One was discontinued.  Thanks

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I’d like to upgrade my Charge 2 with a more slimline model - any possibility of an Inspire HR with floor counter? That’s the one thing I feel it lacks 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on Fitbit Inspire HR. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. This is not currently planned at this moment. You can keep adding your votes to this suggestion so we can keep tracking this request overtime. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @maryannedutton! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

gems
Jogger

I would like to see floor tracking added to the Inspire to make this the perfect tracker to meet my needs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.