Add body measurement feature

Can you please add a feature to track your body measurements: chest, waist, hips, thigh, and arm? I would like see my progress in inches +/-. When I'm not losing weight, I want to make sure the body inches are still going down. Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

395 Comments
apple132
Jogger

Great idea, I'd also like to log body water percentage as my scales give me this reading and I want all my info in one place (FitBit app would be great!)

ImagineThat
Stepping Up

Yes - I also want the body measurements section back.

Measurements can be just as important as BMI, Body fat %age etc in guaging how youa re doing.

Koji1224
First Steps

Totally agreed. I'm really eager to add back the body mesurements section. It's nomal and usual function of the other application. 

_Nicole_
First Steps

So disappointed that this feature is not available as prior to purchasing my fitbit measuring my waist, hips & thighs was one of the main tools I used to gauge how well I am travelling. Really hope it's put back in. 

jessb417
Premium User
Runner
I would love this feature as well!
kjj754
Jogger

Yes, please bring back the ability to track and see the changes in the body measurements as that is the way I like tracking my progress also!  FITBIT PLEASE BRING BACK THIS OPTION!!  

dbuzz
Recovery Runner

I cannot tell from the graph what my measurements were from one point to the next. Am I suppose to be able to hover over the half diamonds to see what my measurements were and are? The graph is quite useless. Any suggestions on how to see the measurements numerically instead of seeing a graph? 

@jaymay wrote:

Just putting it out there - can't find a thread dealing with this.
The Body Measurements element of this software is really underwhelming.
There are 3 main reasons why someone would want to wear a fitbit. 1) Fitness tracking 2) weight loss 3) improve the way they look.   Some of these go hand in hand.
The weight loss and body measurement trackers go hand in hand.   They're both really quite under developed for such an important part of this package.
My main thoughts on it are:

• That the Body measurements log is very poorly placed, should have a tab of it's own, and should be much easier to find.
  • That the Body measurements log contains weird 'body parts to measure'. OK, maybe not if you're a body builder, but I'd challenge you to compare the number of body builders using this, to the number of dieters using this.  People interested in weight loss are not interested much in what their forearms measure as much as say...their backside!  Their tummy!!!  The two fattest parts of the body are missing!  I'm not interested if my calves are thin, only if my bum will fit into  my jeans soon!
  • The custom tracker is WAY too hard to find.
  • the single, one and only custom tracker you can put in - should be two or three to be fair, (I've put in my tummy) doesn't add itself to the main list of body measurements or wherever it should go- I understand it might be measuring something different. Why not have a drop down menu that will add that to whichever list is appropriate. Food, steps, weight or measurement ...so it appears on the right page.
  • To find the results of the custom tracker is diabolical.  And when you do, the graph is so tiny, there's no way you can really see your results anyway.
  • To hover the mouse over the graph is haphazard and often does not show up.  The points of sensitivity for each measurement is too small.  Crappy.
  • The graph for the body measurment tracker is quite frankly useless.  If your measurements happen to be fairly near eachother - eg hips and chest similar like mine, you can't hover or click on them to find any change. The stupid little plot point shapes will just not 'pop up' under the mouse to find the measurment.  Again, the sensitivity points are too small,a nd its overall just a bad design.
    The design should not include days you have NOT put in only days you have.  this would prevent massive gaps, looking like there is no change to the measurement.
    A bar graph would be much more sensible.
    This is probably my main gripe.   I can't see easily how well I'm doing. The graphs are poor, poorly designed, and poorly numerated.    The whole thing needs a massive makeover.
  • OMG when are you going to get REAL food in the lists.  For Australians who love this kind of software, the food list is diabolical.  Looks like someone just went through a supermarket and missed out the fresh food section.
    you should include a section called 'fresh'.   Meaning uncooked as it comes out of the groud, or paddock, food.   Fresh green beans, fresh uncooked chicken, fresh fish, fresh oranges, fresh red apples.    This means those of us who actually cook our own food, can find the ingredients.
    OK that's my rant.
    It's not real enough, and one of your main target audiences, the dieters or weight loss people, are at a severe disadvantage because we can't see easily how well our body is changing, and what good real food we can log to make up the dinners we're eating.

MelanieMarie
First Steps

Yes, I would love to have that feature added back as well! When you're working out more, you don't always see changes in your weight right away because you're gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Body measurements would be much more useful! Thank you!

BWingate
Premium User
Jogger

Just got the Charge HR and planned to track body measurements, e.g., chest, upper arm, waist, hips, thighs, calves. Very surprised this isn't a standard tracker on this system.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Why on earth was this ever removed? Is there an official FitBit blog post or other update about this?

Chada
Base Runner

I would also like this added back I now have to track it in a separate spreadsheet.

rebel3217
Pace Setter

Please bring back the body measurements. It would be encouraging to see and track the changes in body measurements especially when the scale is showing little or no weight loss as often happens when first starting an exercise/weight loss program.

JohnAnderson
Jogger

I just purchased the full version thinking that this was an option...

I would realy like to see this put back in for those of us that would like to

track these other health related items.

techjunkie860
Recovery Runner

It would be nice if they put in on the app so it can be changed faster and easier. 

krounds
First Steps

Just attempted to contact customer service and all I was told was that the feature was no longer available and they couldn't do anything about adding it back in. 

groundzero
Tempo Runner

I understand this even USED to be a feature--and then it was removed! Maddening. I would like to be able to record this information on the Fitbit site. True, I can keep opening up a separate document on my laptop, which doesn't sync with my phone ... it would just be SO much more convenient to be able to add that to the Fitbit dashboard. I thought at first that you just didn't know how to add features like that, but then was so surprised to hear in the forums that some people have that feature! But only if they joined before September 2014, which I didn't. I feel like I'm being punished for joining more recently.

ChrisRininger
First Steps

Yes please.

ladylonglegs21
Recovery Runner

I'd like to be able to customize what I want to measure - for example: boobs, belly, right thigh, left thigh (mine are different)... right bicep, left bicep...  etc 

aprilh1286
Recovery Runner

Would love to be able to enter my body measurements in the Android app instead of having to make a note of them until next time I'm on the computer.

stvwndy
Keeping Pace

Would like to be able to log body measurements on my Fitbit One.  Weight is not always a good way to measure progress especially if weight training is part of your training.

Campdog
Jogger

Absolutely agreed!  I keep an Excel page to track this - In an effort to acheive LEAN, this seems silly (manufacturing joke - haha).  All tracking should be within one program.  

Opivali
Jogger
To be truthful I don't have a problem using a few different applications to track different things. They get to be specialized and do a better job of tracking a thing.
ldoan
Jogger

Yes, please FITBIT, if you can't bring the measurements log back, at least make an app available to buy like you do the premium package. Oh... and THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for adding the Canada database to FITBIT. It is much easier to get a more accurate reading taking foods from your list.

tonyah
First Steps
It would be great if I could log my body measurements since those usually decrease before weight. It would be another great motivation tool!
juliedial
First Steps

I agree.  I would LOVE this feature.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.