Add body measurement feature

Can you please add a feature to track your body measurements: chest, waist, hips, thigh, and arm? I would like see my progress in inches +/-. When I'm not losing weight, I want to make sure the body inches are still going down. Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

395 Comments
golbs888
First Steps

The purchase of my Fitbit Charge HR has been one of the best decisions by far on my weight loss journey. SADLY, i am not losing the kilograms as fast as I am losing the centimetres. It would be absolutely amazing to be able to log, just like my weight, the centimetres lost on my normal weekly weigh in a measure up. At the moment, my measurements are on a excel spreadsheet, whilst everything else fitness related is on Fitbit. People with body image issues should not be concentrating on the weightloss anyhow! 
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

- The ability to enter where you measure on the body - i measure different places other than the generic waist and hips

- The total centimetres lost on the whole body combined
- the total centimetres lost on that particular part on the body

I believe this addition has been on the Fitbit before but was removed???? Please bring it back!

rckoegel
Recovery Runner

Hey, if that was added, I would be able to stop going to Bodybuilder.com... which would be great, cause their layout is pretty crazy and annoying anyway.

I really only go there because of their measurment tracking system. I swear!

Lydiatattoo
First Steps
I too am tracking my measurements,. I don't understand why you would have a service and then remove it. Bring it back please.
MsRat3
First Steps

Bring back Body Measurement logging!  I am so disappointed... I was able to log my body measurements before, but had to replace my One twice, now, due to battery problems. This last time, today, I had to open a new account to start fresh with the replacement One. NOW I can't log my body measurements anymore.....

Looks as though you discontinued that feature for new accounts... WHY????

Please bring back the features we were using and please don't remove features in the future without notifing users.

I have paid for a Premium Account and now can't use a feature I paid for.:(

Butterflysab89
First Steps
There should be a place to add body measurements!!!
Ismar
Recovery Runner

Can you please give an status update on body measurement support at Dashboard? I see that this feature has been there previously, but has been removed. Are you planning to put it back?

One suggestion could be to create an digital tape measurement, such as this, but only with wifi/bluetooth so it is easy to do daily measurements and sync with the dashboard to get statistics.

Opivali
Jogger
I like the digital tape measure idea. I would also like a picture history to be used kind of like this app does: http://fitnessbuddyapp.com/
roadstar
Recovery Runner

I want to track my body measurements on Fitbit, too!!!!  Ridiculous we have to do it elsewhere.

roadstar
Recovery Runner
Tired of tracking body measurements in a separate app or document? Me, too! VOTE Thumbs Up here to request Fitbit return that capability to its app/dashboard. (For me, it would definitely be marked Private in the privacy settings.).
MsRat3
First Steps

I have a Premium account and was floored when they removed the Body Measurement log! I am tracking weight loss (need to lose 19 pounds) AND I'm lifting weights, so am putting on lean muscle, so I may weigh the same but my body measurements are shrinking.

I am a clothing designer and know tracking body measurements are a way better indicator of fat loss than tracking weight.

Please bring back Body Measurement Log! Put it on Premium if you must, but bring it back. I don't want to have to use another fitness tracker log.

Syn_ack
Jogger

Another vote for wanting body measurements.  Other health measurements would also be great.

Status changed to: New
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for posting your request for re-adding the body measurement feature. I can see the potential of this helping a lot of users with their fitness goals. We will be sure to pass along your request to the team for consideration.

Thanks for posting on the Feature Request Board.

juliedial
First Steps
I would love to be able to use this feature!!
lynhalli
First Steps
Would find a place to record waist measurement a great addition. Its a good indicator for health issues.
lynhalli
First Steps
A waist measuremènt recording section would be useful. Some current health professionals see waist measurement as s very good indicator of present health levels and future health issues

I strongly agreed that this should be a feature, if not THE feature. People have poorly be trained to weigh themselves as a measure of success. Yes, for those just beginning it may be easier. However, those who are looking to be stronger and healthier the goal should not be weight. The goals should be resting heart rates, inches, time exercising, distance or weight-lifted.

I got the HR specifically for the heart rate of course. However, I don't appreciate the push to weigh myself with all the weight graphs shoved in my face. I am not weighing myself. That is not the point. The point is to be a healthier stronger me.

Give my a body measurment graph showing how my shape is changing if want to show me a graph. Lets watch these biceps grow 😄 

Battlegroup
Jogger
I think it would be highly beneficial to re-add the measurements tracking function (chest/bust, waist, hips, thigh etc). I personally would prefer to have the option on the dashboard rather than using another app.
tinytina49
Recovery Runner
I agree . A fantastic idea.tinytina49
Lgill
First Steps
Some reason it won't let me vote, but I too would like to see this added! Muscle weighs more than fat so just seeing weight loss doesn't give you the whole picture.
bitbyter
First Steps
I totally agree! I was surprised after I setup my device that there was no place to track measurements, body fat %, or even general notes.
Battlegroup
Jogger
Bring back the measurements feature!
TLeela36
Recovery Runner

I'm really not a fan of the display for body measurements. As with weighing myself, I take measurements once a week, so my options are to see the measurements for the month, which looks like this:

monthlymeasurements.jpg

Okay, so looking at it for the month, I can't see today's measurements, which is 6/19, unless I carefully mouse over one of the other measurements and follow the line to the end...this is super clunky to me, and sometimes, mousing over the other measurements shows nothing.

Or I can look at it by the year:

yearlymeasurements.jpg

Since I haven't been tracking measurements very long, this doesn't give great information either, and I still can't see the most recent measurement without hovering verrrrrry carefully, and that still sometimes doesn't work.

I guess I'm just asking that the interface be a little more friendly, and possibly options for selecting a date range. Like for me, it would be nice to select when I started tracking to today and see only those dates. If I'm making this harder than it is, I'm sorry, it just doesn't seem to work smoothly for me! 

Michael
5K Racer

@TLeela36 Given that the body measurement feature has been deprecated, and is no longer available to new users, I don't expect a lot of effort to go into it.

However, you can already select a date range, just click in on the date in the upper right corner above the graph and it will bring up the date range selection box. Click in the start date field, and then pick a date from the calendar, click in the end date field and pick another date, then click go. (You can also type the dates in manually in the format: YYYY-MM-DD.)

Also, in case you didn't know you can click on the items in the legend to turn on/off that line. (This is helpful to make it easier to see the changes over time since the graph scales automatically.)

TLeela36
Recovery Runner

Aaaaah, you're the best, I thought only the back/forward arrows were interactive and didn't realize I could customize a date! Thank you!

TLeela36
Recovery Runner

It's just annoying to almost always not be able to see the last entry along with the others and the mousing issue, but that definitely helps. I appreciate the response. 🙂

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.