Add dark mode on new Fitbit app

Disappointed that there is no dark mode option given the awful app update to a block of white - very hard to distinguish sections so if you are vision impaired or have dry eyes it’s just not comfortable to engage with anymore. It’s so infuriating given that I preferred my Fitbit app layout and data to my Garmin one which I use the running.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

64 Comments
Zaidria
First Steps

The new Fitbit app needs to allow users to change the color scheme, or provide a dark mode feature. All the light colors are awful and hard on the eyes. Not impressed that this was overlooked by Google. Dark mode is available for many apps and is a common feature across the board.

Positron360
Jogger
Add a dark mode to the app. EVERY other app has it.
2015user
First Steps

The new app is unusable without dark mode it's a horrendous experience to look at.

RonSTroy
Jogger

We have been waiting

TOO LONG for Dark Mode.

I like the new interface and expected to see Dark Mode as an option. DISAPPOINTED!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Wholeheartedly agree with the comments and disappointment that there is now a bright,  bland, white screen for the app and no dark mode. For months have tolerated issues with Fitbit app after google ownership because I used the features.  I don't want to use this upgraded app but can't see certain data without the app syncing. This upgrade appears so substandard for the digital technology that everyone else has integrated. Have had a Fitbit for nearly a decade but this has me asking if it's not time to try something else despite the differences in visible data for the user.

YH1890
Jogger

Considering that Fitbit is used as a way to improve health, it's very disappointing that they neglected to consider those of us who have medical conditions that makes it difficult to view bright screens. Many software compares have improved their accessibility to these communities by having a dark mode option or simply allowing the user to customize the background colors. There is no justification why Google failed to consider this and replaced our app which had been improved many times for the Fitbit community to a new one that has a bright white screen and can't comfortably be used.

RevDude
Jogger

As someone who works with a desktop computer with dual screens at least 9hr/day, it is highly desired to have dark mode available in this app.  The updated app is less distinct than the former version it replaced.  They may just be due to the brightness.  Please get back to thinking about adding new features and not taking existing features away.

R1816
First Steps

Too white!! Add dark/night option!

Even when iPhone in night mode and dimness at lowest setting, your app is too bright!!  Maybe quickest way is reverse—black background with white letters. 
you want to improve out health and yet you give us a white screen 24 hours a day??

sudotrin
First Steps

As @YH1890 said this interface is absolutely terrible for accessibility. There's no possible way it could be section 508  compliant. https://www.section508.gov/

Ojusme
First Steps

Please add dark mode. My battery will thank you. 

Sifichick
First Steps

I am also legally blind and it is almost impossible to see the screen on the fit it app. What I can see strains my eyes so bad that it causes physical pain. PLEASE give us blind people a dark mode. That way we can see the app better and it won't cause us physical pain due to eye strain. Thank you.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @LIs5 and commenters, thanks for sharing this product feedback, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this feedback has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This product feedback will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a product feedback is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this product feedback while it is under consideration.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I am visually impaired and would love to see a "dark mode" option for Fitbit on Android, the bright white background is difficult to read during the day and at night.
LaliDee
First Steps

My eyes are sensitive to light, I can't open this app at night now as there's too much bright white. I have dark mode on my phone except for Fitbit. It would be great if we could have darkmode and pick our own font colours. 

Sjlpz
Jogger

We have been suggesting this for like 8 years. It's past time!

Tomkw51
Stepping Up

The development team is 5 years out of date. Dark mode is a must. It isn't something to consider it is something  to do. Add dark mode to the previous version.  The new version has nothing to be commended for. It is a downgrade in virtually every respect. Where is my battery indicator?

Sifichick
First Steps
Please put dark mode on the new app as well. Some of us have the new
version and need dark mode.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for sharing this product feedback about adding dark mode to the Fitbit app with us. This idea was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the product feedback shared here doesn't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

GoodwillA
First Steps

+1 for dark mode, just came from a whoop trial and loved their phone app

StefanosP
First Steps

Good to know this request for dark mode has finally been picked up by the developers. It's surely not rocket science and doesn't take 8+ years to realise the benefits of this option in any app, just look how many other apps have it. I've only recently installed the app and tbh found it hard to believe that this has not already been incorporated in what has become a mainstream trending app.

So come on guys, please get this rolled out ASAP,  I am sure the majority of users will eagerly switch over and make use of it as soon as it is released. Many valid reasons for dark mode being so necessary have already been submitted, it really is long overdue.

Please let us all know when we can get excited about the imminent release of this major improvement! Many thanks.

curtmcgirt
Recovery Runner

glad it's being considered. welcome to 2015!

infinidim
Sprinter

As Fitbit is part of the Google group of companies I am very surprised that the new Fitbit app does not support "dark" or "system" theme / mode. Most, if not all Google apps support this feature. 

Yince
Stepping Up

As a developer myself, I can't understand why this is not taken into account from day 1.

Sifichick
First Steps
Quite frankly because companies don't care about accessibility for disabled
people. Especially blind people. Closed captioning is on everything and has
been for decades. How many movie/TV shows do you see have video
description? So it doesn't shock me at all that most companies don't do
dark mode. It's just disappointing.
sixpackRow
Jogger

I was actually trying to get dark mode on my fitbit android app using third party software but I was unable to get it to change the fitbit app background to dark or black.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.