Alarm based on set hours slept (eg. wake me up after 8 hours)

I love the silent alarm, but on the weekend my sleep schedule trends to get changed and I over sleep. Because Fitbit can track hours slept, I'd love the ability to set an alarm based on hours slept. Example: after sleeping 8.5 hours my silent alarm would go off. This would allow me to not oversleep while letting me "sleep in". Thanks for listening to this idea!

114 Comments
Nikki.ress
Jogger

That would be awesome

@Mrsbeeb wrote:

I love the silent alarm, but on the weekend my sleep schedule trends to get changed and I over sleep. Because Fitbit can track hours slept, I'd love the ability to set an alarm based on hours slept. Example: after sleeping 8.5 hours my silent alarm would go off. This would allow me to not oversleep while letting me "sleep in". Thanks for listening to this idea!

Conkeroo
First Steps

Hi Fitbit community,

I suffer from migraines, and find that undersleeping or oversleeping trigger them. I think Fitbit can solve this problem!

Fitbit is able to track the time I fall asleep, and set alarms for specific times to wake up. But for me - and others, I'm sure - it would be helpful to be able to set an alarm for a certain period of time, e.g. 'wake me up in 8 hours time, starting from the moment I fall asleep'.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Conkeroo

when i'm watching TV as couch-potatoe, Fitbit thinks i'm sleeping..

later, i'm going to bed, Fitbit is thinking it's a agitated period, and i'm sleeping again.

when is starting the 8 hours period ?

Kswilky
First Steps

I would love to see the Charge 2 able to record Macros.

cschell
First Steps

Would like to be able to have start and end dates for challenges within the activity group set up. Thanks.

Cbrunet
First Steps

It would be great if the silent alarm could go off after a certain amount of time of sleep rather than a set time. Because of my schedule, I do not go to bed at the same time everynight. To avoid sleeping too much, it would be great if the alarm could go off after the tracker has detected a certain amount of time asleep.

V-fit
First Steps

It would be great if I could set my alarm/vibration to wake me up after a certain amount of hours of sleep instead of setting it for a specific wake up time. So if I only wanted 6 or 7 or 8 hours of sleep, after that goal was met the alarm/vibration will go off. 

Ianhewetson
First Steps

Since fitbits track your bed time and they have a goal set for hours of sleep I think it would be great to combine the two. 

i would like to see an alarm setting that sets an alarm for you when you fall asleep and will wake you X number of hours after your sleep time. 

For example if you fall asleep at 9 pm and you sleep goal is 8 hours if you had this feature on your fitbit would set an alarm for 8 hours from your bedtime and wake you at 5 am. Or 10:37 would result in a 6:37 alarm. 

Your wake time may vary day to day based on your bedtime but it can help you not oversleep like I tend to do whenever I don't have a specific time I need to wake. 

It also might help those who have trouble getting to sleep after getting in bed. By pushing their wake time back until they are able to fall asleep. Rather than having a set alarm. 

E7T1995
Jogger

Because I am the kind of person who needs to have 8 hours sleep due to 

medical reasons, I think there should be an optional setting to recieve an alarm/notification when you've reached your sleeping goal. This is so that you don't sleep too much on a day off (if you don't want to waste the day) or if you didn't get all of your sleep before your alarm so have a nap later but want to sleep until you get your goal hours. I feel this could be very beneficial, and as it would be optional, those who don't need it, don't have to put up with it.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I think it would be really cool if Fitbit set off a silent alarm after it has detected a certain hour number of sleep. For example, if you fall asleep at ten PM, and you are awake for thirty minutes throughout the night, at 6:30 AM, a silent alarm will begin if your sleep goal is eight hours. That way, you can get as much sleep as your body needs. 

KittyS
Jogger

I would like to set my alarm when I've received a set hours/ minutes of sleep. Sometimes I'm blessed with a long night of sleep but if I sleep too long I can feel groggy the next day. I want to prevent this by setting my alarm after a set period of time of deep or light sleep.

I often count in advance to set my alarm for the next morning but there are times I just can't find to fall asleep or that I'm really restless. It happens that I keep changing my alarm to a later time. Also with these nights I want to make sure that my alarm goes of after a set period of sleep in stead of keep changing it.

I would also want to use this it if I want a quick nap and don't want to wake up 2 hours later and still get a minimum of sleep.

Am I the only one looking for a setup like this? Or are there others interested in this feature?

Or is there already a way I can set up my alarm like this? If not, @Fitbit, is it possible to fit this in a next update?

Moderator edit: labels.

cvolkernick
Jogger

Given that Fitbit tracks my sleep, it would be useful for the device to be able to be set to wake me up after a set number of hours of sleep, eg wake me up after I've been asleep for 8 hours.

pwolly
First Steps

People feel better or worse depending on how much sleep they get. If you sleep for 12 hours you'll likely wake up feeling moody and your brain chemicals will be off.

If you sleep 3 hours you will likely wake up feeling unrested and your brain chemicals will still be off.

My optimal sleep time is around 7 hours and 30 minutes. Luckily for me, I don't have to go to bed or be up at a certain time, however, this means that I often end up sleeping too long or not enough. 

Could you please add a feature to the Fitbit that would allow for an alarm to go off after I had slept my desired amount of time?

lukasp
First Steps

Really disappointed that the Ionic doesn't have this. It's a disadvantage versus competing devices (even with Jawbone going bust, Xiaomi and some others have it). This feature can make a HUGE difference to people who have trouble waking up refreshed (in Hong Kong, where I live, 85% of people sleep badly according to a recent survey).  Without a smart alarm, the sleep stage tracking data is "nice to have" but not very actionable, and certainly not worth the premium price of the device. Forums all over the web are full of people asking for this feature, so Please Fitbit, add this in a firmware upgrade!

MarcRos
First Steps

I just got a charge 2 to track my sleep, and I think making an app where an alarm goes off when you sleep the desired amount might be a good idea. Like if I say I want to sleep 7 hours, fall asleep at 12, and have two hours of awake time through the night, then the apps alarm goes off at 9 because only then will it have recorded 7 hours of sleep. This will help me see which amount of sleep does work best for me.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would love if there was a lucid dreaming option ! If you could set an alarm that goes of just as you fall in to rem sleep it would be very helpful ! thank you

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Are you asking for a smart alarm that goes off durring light sleep

I suggest leaving your vote with the active request. 

Phanindra
First Steps

Thanks to Fitbit sleep analyser technology! We can successfully track our daily sleeping logs. A unique alarm feature can be added to the dash board instead on tracker on the basis of minimum sleeping hours enter by user ( in built it can be 6-8hrs ) which is considered as the minimum sleep a human need on daily basis. This feature utilise the existing sleep log data to make efficient decisions. For example a person X sleeps at 9pm on day-1 and he gets an alarm set automatically 9pm plus 8hrs making sure he gets the minimum sleep and the if X sleep at 2am, his alarm automatically changes to 2am plus 8 hrs. This is very unique feature that I believe users get benefited from Fitbit sleep tracking system. Also the alarm on mobile app is more effective than on tracker.

jlwinkler
Stepping Up

This would be a great feature in combination with a selection possibility for the days/nights of the week. E.g. I only want to set this alarm for waking me up after 8h of sleep on a Saturday and Sunday morning.

tompabes
Runner

@Rich_Laue:

"Are you asking for a smart alarm that goes off durring light sleep? I suggest leaving your vote with the active request."

Come on, Rich... that request already has 4500+ votes and has been opened in 2013. It's been in "Under consideration" for 4 years. What else do they need? Is it feasible or not? Are there any technical issues that prevent them to do it? If so, just tell us and close the feature request. This is just a joke. The fact that Fitbit looks at requests in this forum to consider their implementation is just a joke. They'd be better off if they just closed the Feature Suggestions section.

@Jeki_5309

"Your Fitbit can tell how heavy or light your sleep is at any given time. In order to make waking up easier, you could set a time frame for your alarm to go off in, e.g. between 6:00am and 6:30am"

What device are you talking about? Not the Charge 2 for sure, as if the Charge 2 price wasn't enough to implement a feature that can be found on the $20 Xiaomi band...

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@tompabes do what your suggesting is, instead of adding to an existing request let's start a new thread and divide the votes. 

Also the thread I point to is actually 43 threads for a smart alarm that have been merged. 

vigneshvijay
Jogger

Yes ! I don't want to over sleep .. I want alarm based on sleep detection . 
Would be great to have a feature for waking up after 8  ( or 7 ) hours of sleep detection . 

Emilybpr
Stepping Up

It’s difficult to know how long to target to stay asleep if you spend varying periods awake in the night and it’s not as helpful to know the cycles and to get productive sleep if there’s no way to wake after a period of actual sleep. An alarm set to go off after a number of hours that are spent actually asleep would be extremely helpful and I’m sure very popular.

Kiikat
Jogger

I had this exact idea!!! I searched it in the forums before posting the suggestion myself, and low and behold, here it is! 

Would LOVE this as a feature, for the above mentioned reasons. I completely agree. 

diplomis
First Steps

It would be nice to have the possibility to make the fitbit wake me up after a certain amount of hours of registered sleep. If I for example have a day off the following day, and dont want to set an exact alarm because I dont know when I will fall asleep, but I dont want to sleep for more than.. lets say 9 hours. My fitbit would automatically wake me up after 9 hours of registered sleep. The amount of hours one would want to sleep could be customized in the alarm settings.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.