Ambient Temperature Sensor To Adjust Calorific Burn

As far as idea/suggestions go how about this:

an ambient temperature sensor.

rationale being the outside temperature when it gets very cold will cause a higher caloric burn.

Moderator Edit: Edit Title for Clarity/Added Labels

54 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I thought of that too, yesterday I was out walking at around 9am and being in New York State it is rather cold at that time in November and I could feel my body heating up and it occured to me that none (that I know of) of the fitness trackers whether made by Fitbit or others has a temperature sensor to measure the outside temp and a sensor to measure the temp of the user.

jeannahugg
Recovery Runner

it would be useful to be able to see temperature measurements, both both and outside air temp.  OR air humidity??

i guess more useful in a hot country (i live in australia)

robvanbuilder
First Steps
Should be easy enough to implement. I would like to see the days high or a refresh every x number of hours. Creating custom watch faces would be the best but for now.
dana_boyd
First Steps

I would like to see a temperature component added for hot weather, too. I exercise in 101F weather downi n Florida with a "feels like" 115F. Surely this counts for more caloric burn?

jasonk931
First Steps

Being an avid adventurer, and gear reviewer, I often need to record the gear I use for climbs, runs, etc. Including temperature and time of year for that event or series of events. Would be great to have a section after each run or exercise synopsis on the dashboard online to be able to log what type of gear I used with that specific run or exercise. Almost like a journal section per run?

Not sure if it possible to be able to pull temp for that region via GPS, even if its just estimated? By the way, I love the run and sleep trackers. Spot on!

Softballmomx2
First Steps
I was wondering if there is a way to add outside temperature to the surge?
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I like it @Matthews! Thank you for your contribution. I'll make sure our developers get your request.

Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum. Thanks!

temperature
First Steps
My Fitbit should have the temperature display with the date and time along with battery life. Temperature is a safety issue.
Byronm
Jogger
What about biking on the surge
Atlasj
First Steps

I would love to be able to see the outside temperature during a workout. I like to look back and compare workouts but the information would be more meaningful if I could see if it had been 60°F or 90°F.

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity and labels. 

Atlasj
First Steps
I hope you will consider my idea.
Greenbug
First Steps
I like the idea of monitoring every aspect of the body while working out. Your devices already have LEDs for HR heart monitoring, I'm sure the same LEDs could be used to monitor body temperature and oxygen in the blood. Such information could help detect on comeing illness, warning of heat exhaustion, or over exertion. I can see this is where fit bits future is and I'm excited for newer versions.
JennyJenn
Base Runner

Yes! This is such a great idea and would be useful, maybe even life-saving, information. A lot of illnesses and problems are related to body temps. Thyroid problems come to mind. And seeing if we have a sudden rise in temp that we don't feel ourselves could be a sign our body is gearing up to fight infection, and we can load up on vitamin C, drink plenty of water and rest a little more and so on - and actually avoid getting sick!

And what an important feature this would be for warning of heat exhaustion or over exertion. Sometimes it's hard to tell because we push ourselves while exercising. This added info could help us avoid pushing ourselves too hard in the wrong way.

I really hope FitBit adds these features! It fits right in with what they're already doing.

1022devans
First Steps

Women who are peri menopausal and having heat flashes would like to see the temperature spikes and understand when they occur, or under what circumstances.  Also athletes performing in hot conditions should consider how their bodies respond to heat and how different ways of dealing with heat might affect body temp.

Greenbug
First Steps
Some insurance companys might already provide coverage on such devices, as pulseox. Perhaps with the right set of sensors they will cover the cost of fit bits. Selling more units is good business.
joeyfit5
First Steps
Needs to be a temperature combatable app for the outside temperature
joeyfit5
First Steps
I think that apps such as Weather Channel and Weather Bug should be compatable apps for easy access to the temperature via Fitbit watch
New_Knee_User
Recovery Runner
Would love to see the ambient temperature during and after workouts.
This makes a difference in the results.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 Smiley Wink

New_Knee_User
Recovery Runner
Sorry, but by"ambient temperature" I mean the outside air temperature which makes a big difference in my performance.
joelnagy
First Steps
It would be nice if the FitBit Alta could use Bluetooth to display the current temp and weather. This should be simple based on the same way the Alta can alert of message notifications.

When I wakeup I want to know the temp and weather before I head out for morning exercise and it would be easier to view on my Alta.
Ashkilgore88
First Steps
I would love an outside temperature feature. And it would be even better if it showed wether it was raining/snowing etc.
Pilcher88
First Steps

I always thought it would be awesome to have local weather and temperature to be displayed on the charge 2 as one of either our displays before we head out for the day.  

Abigail.x.x
Recovery Runner

Include a design that tells us what the temperature is outside

iHasTurtlez
Base Runner

Yes! True dat!

@Abigail.x.x wrote:

Include a design that tells us what the temperature is outside

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.