Ankle mode

Please make one u wear on ankle then u would get all the steps. When u are in a store with carts such as grocery, target etc it won't record all the walking one is doing with a cart. I have to try and push with one hand!! They can have pretty but functionally ankle devices some can be practically for a guy and pretty like an ankle bracelet for a women!!! Please develop this!! Soon!!

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

494 Comments
drnancy123
First Steps

I work in an OR and often cannot wear anything on my wrist. So during these times, I tape the Force to my ankle. It would be very easy to design a strap extension that would add a couple of inches to the circumference. I think there are quite a few people who would like to see something like this. Thank you!

blakeatwork
Base Runner

I'd love to see an ankle band accessory as an option to the wrist band, as I play a lot of volleyball and soccer, which prohibits the use of the Fitbit on my wrist.

pilkedw
First Steps

make wrist strap adjustable to fit ankle for those who cant wear around wrist

beyo
Stepping Up

smaller/thinner fitbit with minimal screen or buttons, to be worn under socks, on ankle. HR and automatic sleep detection would be great, as well as long battery life.

Link45
Premium User
First Steps

I would like to see Fitbit offer an ankle band. I could use this during cycling to get better recording of my activity minutes. The current standard of logging my start and stop time just isn't accurate.Making a larger band in the same style as the wrist band would be perfect!

KBaum6068
First Steps
I'm new to FitBit community and love the progress I am making with the Flex Band, however, my wrist gets itchy and hot when exercising or when it is extremely hot & humid.  An Ankle band would be awesome.  Or shoes with a pouch specifically for the FitBit without the band.  Thanks for listening!

damienwool
First Steps

FITBIT need to look at the new flyfit which is an ankle tracker and does swimming, cyclcing, cadence and much much more - if they could do a fitbit one with a force kind of thing I reckon it would be a winner, good screen and options, bluetooth wear everywhere except when charging

The other thing that needs to be done is if we switch off the ability to input our food etc, the fitbit should only calculate calories burned based on actual activity done not a daily count, it mens those who are in weightloss using other food apps and dont want to reneter food and water can have correct calories burned.

Status changed to: New
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for this idea! If you haven't done so yet, I recommend voting for heart rate monitoring in this post

Status changed to: New
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for your suggestion about an adjustable wristband/ankleband! We'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the rest of the team. 

damienwool
First Steps
Heart rate is good but if they get wet won't work. I use an independent heart rate monitor for cycling - not keen on a smaller screen than the one - I don't like the lights only on the flex- I know you have data from phones and that but its so easy just to look at your device. If fit but don't do something new soon I'll have to buy something else
cdemo1
First Steps

I am lucky enough that the XL band fits around my ankle and that is where I wear it all the time.  I am a mom and I ALWAYS have something in my arms whether its groceries, laundry or a child.  If I'm not moving my arm, it's not tracking my steps.  A strap made for the ankle just makes sense.

Samiq
First Steps
I can't believe with all the bike riders that use a bike to exercise your company has not come up with a ban to fit on your ankle. I put a rubber band on the ban and track my ride
SarahNF
First Steps

Any other cashiers out there? I jog in my market job, so I want to track that.

But it also tracks bagging of groceries. So it's innacurate. It thought I'd walked 10K when, I had only done 4K.

A slightly bigger bracelet to fit securely on the ankle would be a good accessory for those of us who want to track steps at work, without tracking manual labour.

NewDawn
Sprinter

What girl doesn't love an ankle braclet?

Great Idea but I would want a sterling silver with beads to spruce it up; seriously.

SarahNF
First Steps

All good with bling design suggested, long as it doesn't fall off when jogging :).

bkherallah
Stepping Up

I doubt that is going to translate the movements of your feet into distance you cover very accurately, esp. since you can change the gears, etc.

I'm a cyclist too, and I would love a way to track bike rides. The most practical thing, I would say, is to add "cycling" as an exercise to the mobile app, since it already can use GPS to track your workout anyway. RunKeeper already has this function very nicely handled, so if two-way integration is not ever going to be done, at least add this feature to the FitBit app!

CMartib
First Steps
I would like to see a strap that you can wear around your ankle. When you don't move your arms much or carrying something or pushing a stroller, it doesn't count your steps. I believe there is a shoe clip (didn't really look into it), but with a shoe clip I'm afraid of getting it wet or lost.

So for now I tuck my Fitbit in my sock with the strap around my ankle but not secured.

I also know that people that work with their hands (ie swing a hammer) get an inaccurate count because of the movement.

An ankle strap would take care of this problem.
BeccaMedlin
First Steps
I was encouraged to post this from the fit bit FB page.

I am hoping you can offer ankle bracelets for the tracker. I have a job where I walk a lot but I have to push a cart. So, my fit bit doesn't track my progress because my arms aren't moving. Also, when I walk on the treadmill I tend to use my arms less, hours of grocery shopping go unrecorded. Mothers that run/walk pushing their baby in a stroller would also appreciate this. What do you think? Would you buy an ankle bracelet for your fit bit and use it?
jjangNathan
First Steps

More than wrapping a band designed for my wrist around my ankle, I'd prefer to have a separate device that's more akin to providing supplementary information in a band form in order to provide more accurate results with sleep tracking, steps taken and other activity that can easily be deceived by seeing motion on only one appendage (e.g. one's arm) -- especially now that Fitbit has the new capability to utilize multiple devices. Too, such a device wouldn't need a screen, instead just the power button and possibly a single LED (for battery status), so itwould last longer between charges/battery changes (like the Zip) and have a price that could be much more affordable for both those getting into Fitbit or those who already have one or more devices. And also, absolute waterproof ability would be a must, so one could take a shower with it on without worry -- hey, we all have days where we have to rush in the morning and haven't the time to take it off for a break!

biblepam
Recovery Runner

Was wondering how well the Fitbit (I have a Flex) would work around lower leg, ankle area. Was going to try it out and see how it did but even the large strap will not fit around ankle. Reason for the quandry, is when on wrist does not count all my steps such as when shopping. When in a grocery store for instance, both hands are generally on the handle of shopping cart so does not detect steps. I was in a store shopping with my Mother-in-law for over an hour up and down every aisle (new store), and it did not register any steps since my hand was on handle of cart. You look really odd pushing a cart with just right hand and swinging left i've got to say. Just does not work well. Also does not log steps if you are holding something in you hand against you and walking. For instance holding clothing, food items, or anything in your non-dominant hand so you can still pick up other things with dominant one at home or out and about but you're still walking around. I work at a hospital and several times a week transport patients in a wheelchair or on a stretcher from our area of hospital to another or out to the parking garage to their car. Both hand are on handles of stretcher or wheelchair so once again, no arm movement to register. So maybe consider bands a couple of sizes larger to accommodate lower leg? 

susanroudebush
First Steps

I totally agree.  I would like an attractive ankle bracelet! I work out on a bike.  Fitbit tracks nothin if you are using it on your wrist.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

susanroudebush
First Steps

I totally agree, when biking it tracks ZERO!

Sarah_J
Recovery Runner
I've tried tying the charge HR to my ankle with elastic. It does pick up steps, but only about half of what you would get wearing it on the wrist and walking normally. It might need a software change to recognise an ankle position? But it's a good idea. Or even a device designed for the ankle for people who are using their hands a lot.
biblepam
Recovery Runner
The other day i let fitbit hand from a loop around hip level i was wearing cause I was cutting the grass and knew both hands would need to be on handle of mower. It did pretty well measuring steps.
suehumble
First Steps

I am wearing my Charge on my leg inside a holder for mobile phones. This now counts only the steps I actually take. 

I am considering selling my Charge and buying a man's Charge HR that I could wear around my ankle. Yes, I have thin ankles

@Dyann18 wrote:
Please make one u wear on ankle then u would get all the steps. When u are in a store with carts such as grocery, target etc it won't record all the walking one is doing with a cart. I have to try and push with one hand!! They can have pretty but functionally ankle devices some can be practically for a guy and pretty like an ankle bracelet for a women!!! Please develop this!! Soon!!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.