Apple Music streaming for Fitbit devices

Is there any possibility of being able to choose what music streamer you want to use on the Fitbit ionic such as Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play Music etc.  Can it be a possibility in the near future for people who cannot access Pandora because they do not live in the United States, and even if you are in the u.s you would have the option to choose the music provider that you normally use.  Because i LOVE some good music in the background while i work out or just go for a jog and it will be even better if i don't even need to have my phone with me to do so!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

57 Comments
bharv
First Steps

Amazon Music would be great

VRSpock
Recovery Runner

I am an Amazon unlimited subscriber myself.  I will patiently wait.  The battery life of the Ionic is light years more advanced than any other smart watch, so the ability to play music without the need of my phone is a cool but not absolutely necessary feature for me.

Dee163
Jogger

Amazon music app will be a big plus 

Miki_The_Runner
First Steps

Amazon Music or Spotify. The current music implementation is outdated and just not the way many people store their catalogue now.

VannyPants
First Steps

Amazon Music please add.  

MarcAur
First Steps

Another +1 for Amazon Music.  It's tough to imagine why FitBit apparently prioritized Pandora (is it still 2008?) and Deezer (which nobody has heard of) over Google/Spotify/Amazon.

Shwartzy
First Steps

Amazon Music +1,000,000

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Exercisemaniac thanks for sharing this suggestion. In the spirit of ensuring feature suggestions are specific and not duplicates, I've retitled your suggestion to be for Apple Music. Please vote alternatively on these existing suggestions for other music streaming:

We are glad to announce that Deezer will be available for download on 2018. Watch this space for further updates! 

Nfinished
Recovery Runner

Literally no one cares about Deezer

nanaroo
Recovery Runner

Deezer, really? I had never even heard of it before this.

I'm very hopeful for more mainstream music options. I think Google Play Music will be the easiest to implement. Apple is pretty closed on their 3rd party integrations.

Brevan
First Steps

with itunes music going down it would be nice to be able to play music from the watch

Brevan
First Steps

It would be better if we had apps like air canada or cbc and apple music

clauxic
First Steps

It's totally true! who uses Pandora anymore? 

And what is Deezer? totally unknown!

The idea of being able to storage music is great! And being able to use this storage space to download music from Apple Music and be able to stream it without our cellphone is GREAT! If there's Apple Music available for android cellphones with streaming offline why not for IONIC and VERSA?

That would make my Versa perfect! 

clauxic
First Steps

It is very difficult to get here and understand how the voting works, it took a while for me! I was directed here from your instagram account and I think it would be easier to do a survey thru instagram or the fitbit app. 

Tanya87
Jogger

Would be wonderful to be able to use my Apple Music subscription on my Versa. I live in Canada and Deezer and Pandora are not available here and I'm running into all sorts of issues trying to transfer personal music onto my watch. I have Apple Music on my iPhone and love it... would make this purchase much more worth it if I could play those songs on my Versa instead of still having to use my phone for tunes. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have an iPhone and a Fitbit Versa. I listen to music from the iPhone's Music app while I use the Versa to track my exercise. I would like to look at my Versa and see what music my iPhone is playing.

Even better, I would like to be able to control music playback from my Versa.

Reason: during exercise, my iPhone is usually out of reach: in a pocket or backpack. My Versa is right there on my wrist.

No, I am not going to use the music app on my Versa. Why should I? My iPhone already contains all the music I want and I take it with me when I exercise.

Thank you for considering my suggestion!

iNav33n
First Steps

Please bring the support to access Apple music from  iPhone, So that i can access songs from Phone/Internet in my FitBit Versa itlself.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @iNav33n! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

nanaroo
Recovery Runner

Need to include Google Music and YouTube Music as well.

Irishaine
First Steps

Just got the versa today! Reason for updating my watch was due to the sales assistant telling me I could listen to my music and control my music from it! I am so letdown after being so exciting setting it up that I cannot do this! I already pay money for daily plans with Apple Music and I don’t think after spending good money on this watch that I should have to get a new subscription just to enjoy a feature I felt was already on it! I really love my new watch I would be so happy if this issue could be resolved! I don’t know where to vote for Apple Music! I’m not on social media so please help! 

KentW
Recovery Runner

As FitBit creates a new device beyond ionic and versa please build in WiFi
and streaming music with Google play music.  I'm sure many apple users would want Apple's streaming music.

Why?

Cached music (current model) gets old fast. It's cumbersome to change music on the fitbit today.

Looking at how I use music on my phone ...

• I no longer play just a playlist (that gets old too).
  • Instead I use a feature in Google Play Music called Radio as a option on any of my playlists.
    • I select my play list and choose radio option for that playlist
      • Which means I get songs from my playlist intermixed with songs that are similar in style and content to my playlist songs. Keeps me from getting tired of the music.
      • A regular playlist in shuffle mode...gets tired if you use it regularly (and I have really really large playlists) ... yet I really appreciate the freshness of Google's Playlist Radio option.

I realize the hardware on Ionic and Versa are likely not capable of this and the WIFI and battery life would need to be enhanced for true streaming with services such as Google Play Music or Apple.

My suggestion is as you look to the next generation FitBit beyond Ionic and Versa:

• As you plan a next-generation FitBit smart watch device (to replace Ionic and Versa) I'd suggest:
    • Survey Ionic and Versa users:
      • Ask how many people listen to music while working out?
        • How many times per week?
        • How often they use music directly stored on their FitBit
          vs.
          How often they keep their phone with them for music
        • And why they choose one of those methods?  What would be their priorities in a next gen product?

• Design the Next-Gen FitBit devices to meet those needs so phones can be left in the locker and full streaming for Google and Apple Music can be done from the next-gen FitBit via built in WIFI and google or apple apps for FitBit.
      • Charge $50-$100 more for these devices.  I would be there in a heart beat as I would imagine many others would be as well.  Maybe include a more powerful battery and yes I can charge my FitBit more frequently on days I'm working out with music streaming from the Internet on my next-gen FitBit. 

Streaming music via WIFI from major music providers (google, apple) is the amazing feature to power workouts.  The rest of the workout --- FitBit is already awesome at -- especially with Ionic and Versa.

Thanks for consideration of this level of music support in the next-generation FitBits beyond Ionic and Versa!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @KentW, thanks for adding your suggestion. We've moved your suggestion to this thread.

KentW
Recovery Runner

Hi Yojana,
This WAS NOT related to the Ionic and Versa.  This is about a next-generation FitBit designed to include all that FItBit is great at plus Adding Streaming Music.  Putting this under Ionic and Versa kind of defeats the purpose of the suggestion for next-generation hardware that can support streaming music.

KentW
Recovery Runner

Hi Yojana,
I do not have an apple phone and have no intent to do so. I use Google Play Music ... trying to think broader than myself I added Apple music as those are two of the major music services.  As this was not related to the Ionic/Versa --can you please move it back to new product suggestions?  Or at least move it to the google play music side if you're going to look at iconic/versa forums when designing next gen products?

clauxic
First Steps

Even if you don't have an iphone you can have Apple Music as your music service, i have it on my android phone, it should be strongly considered as an alternative! where do we vote?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.