Auto pause

Can the firmware and app be updated to have an auto pause feature for when you stop to cross a road or tie a lace during workout and walk and run etc. That would be fab.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

197 Comments
Annielaq
First Steps
I recently switched from Map My Run to Fitbit's run tracking within the mobile app. I find them comparable except that in Map My Run you can turn on an autopause setting that pauses the time when it detects that you are not moving. As a city runner, this is really helpful when stopping frequently to cross busy roads. Having the app autopause makes pace more accurate.
GoPens
Jogger

I think there should be a feature to allow you to pause a workout, as opposed to only marking the beginning and end of a workout.

I run in an urban area, so I run with a watch and pause the stopwatch while I'm at stoplights so I can calculate an accurate mile pace when I'm done. This could generally be helpful if someone has a short distraction that comes up during any type of workout.

This seemed like a pretty basic feature that regular watches perform, so I was surprised that it wasn't included with the FitBit. I bought the Charge HR on pre-release with the expectation that this would replace my regular watch, so I'd prefer to not have to use a separate device (second watch or phone) just to keep time of my workout.

LonghornECE
First Steps
my step count goes way up when I ride my motorcycle. It would be nice to be able to disable step count temporarily.
garmone
Jogger
Emulate the functionality of many iPhone run tracking Apps to auto detect times when the runner is stopped (say at a stoplight) and subtracts that stopped time from the run overview. It makes the pace more accurate (moving time).
Woostigger
Strider

I would like to see a way to set it as idle and have the device beep at me every 15 minutes to let me know i have my device set for idle.  Something that would signify that I am using my hands in such a way that it would think I was running when really I am just using my hands.  The surge has many exercise options I can start, it seems this would be an easy addition to it.

Use case - I make my own coffee using a popcorn popper.  When the beans are very green, I need to shake the popper until the beans are light enough to circulate themselves.  After about 20 minutes I gained around 2000 steps.  I eventually took the device off to help.

I really dont want to throw my calories off or skew the numbers for my weekly steps as I compete with family.

Alternative option, allow an idle exercise type where I can go into the dashboard a set an activity period of time as idle so that it removes the steps or significantly omits steps that dont resemble that of idle behavior.

parider
Jogger

I frequently sit in a rocker/recliner at night. When I rock, my steps go through the roof! I would like to be able to disable step counts when I'm in my recliner.

spartanrob
Runner

I agree, this would be a great feature

DouglasMinty
First Steps

Hey guys, right now I use map my run as my running app and use my fitbit as pedometor. The main reason is because there is no auto pause on the GPS on the surge. I love this feature for when I have to stop at a stop light, it doesnt screw up my pace in my app. If you can add this feature in the next update that would be sweet!!

Thanks! 

Sion
Recovery Runner

I have done a similar thing, but with dog-walking. When you stop for a chat with another dog-walker, you can easily add half a km just standing still! Autopause should be an option, for sure.

Ermano
Recovery Runner

Could be useful when washing hands or when doing other activities that logs additional steps

Lorneputnam
Recovery Runner

I noticed today i went for a walk and stopped for a coffee but forgot to pause/stop my exercise so now it says I walked double the time when i wasn't moving! There needs to be a feature that when in walk/run/hike mode if gps sees you have stopped moving it auto pauses you exercise accordingly

fotomaf
Keeping Pace

Great idea!

MattRead
Recovery Runner
Endomondo has an option to pause when the GPS is static.
Most times when I start tracking exercise via GPS I forget to stop the tracking.
Also when I am out walking I get delayed by something for 5 minutes and forget to press pause
Many thanks
Matt
Gazzavr
Jogger

Excellent idea, like in Sports Tracker there should be an adjustable threshold or at least :

In Exercise mode ( Walk/Hike) : < 2 Kmh ( < 1 mph ?)

In Run mode : < 5 Kmh ( < 2.5 mph)

I wonder why this request only got few votes, I find it really useful) Smiley Indifferent

Andrea

dmw371
Recovery Runner

This would be really good, as the surge can now be used for bike activities which invloves traffic lights etc..

Gets my vote !

Missy_B
First Steps

I'm also a city runner and wish there was an auto pause feature.  Sometimes I'm good and remembering, other times I'll pause my run and then forget to turn it back on.  Nothing more frustrating than that!  For the most accurate stats, auto pause should definitely be an option.

BettyM
Jogger

When I was mowing the lawn on the weekend and other gardening chores like raking, my step count jumped very high. It would be nice if there was an option to identify the type of activity to allow for a vibrating lawn-mower.

jaycadams
First Steps

Excellent idea!  Does the mobile app include a exercise tracking feature (i.e. cycling street / mountain biking) for the Fitbit Surge?  If so, why can't this feature be implemented for the Charge + HR?  I have a Charge + HR and I cannot track my mountain bike rides using the mobile app.  I have to use the run option and I am not sure how that affects steps and other metrics.  Also, when I track using the run, I have to pause when I stop.  Sometimes I forget to resume after light and miss out on data.  Very frustrating.

jimbeauman
First Steps

This would be helpful for biking as well. I inevitably forget to pause or worse, un-pause while I am stopped at a light for traffic, or taking a water break. You could easily track and report how long the Surge was stopped during the tracked exercise window.

DJ1988
Jogger
I am a long haul truck truck driver. I drive team which means I am in a moving vehicle about 16 to 20 hours a day. This throws off my step and floor counts drastically. Instead if negating steps by logging driving ( which I have to do multiple times a day if I want an accurate count to include each 10 or 15 min stop I make) can you please just add a pause button or off switch to thearly app to allow me to turn the step counter on and off when Im driving. logging driving is time consuming and annoying and I have had times like today when it isn't recognized in the list of activities and therefore won't adjust my steps or floor count.
drummer_robb
Jogger

As you can see by my user name, I am a drummer. Drumming can be a great way to get some light fat burn or even mild cardio going, but I feel like I'm cheating when I'm beating my step goal by 5,000 when all I did was play the drums for 2 hours. It would be fantastic to have the option of disabling steps for certain workouts or placing the pedometer function into an idle mode like I've seen other users suggest. 

P.S. I'm using a Fitbit Surge by the way. 

Nuker
Jogger

Also agree that an exercise pause feature would be a huge and necessary improvement.

lemasul
Jogger

I totally agree!! I was hoping to elimiate some devices while I work out so having an auto pause feature on the surge would be great!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I like this idea a lot @Gatso. I can see this feature benefiting a lot of our users, especially if they live in a big city with a lot of stop lights. We'll be sure to relay your idea to the rest of our team.

Thanks for posting on the Feature Request Board!

quilterk
Jogger

Don't forget stopping to take a picture or have a water break during a hike. My Garmin Forerunner had that, why not fitbit?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.