Bring the old food log interface back.

It appears that the food log input format changed today (2/13/18). Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me? The new format is much more cumbersome in my opinion. I prefer the original format. Any input/comments/recommendations welcome!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

239 Comments
gitting
Jogger

Agree, it is horrible. The older screen was MUCH easier to navigate, more graphically intuitive. 

Stop "fixing" things that aren't broke, FitBit. I use the desktop because I hate how the app is on the phone, and now it's actually worse ;(

BuzzTheMan2
Stepping Up

I do agree with the others but I know you did it for the younger people, they understand it better.  But it goes back to the same database so why not have 2 front end pages, 1 for us older people and 1 for young.  I'm in IT and yes, our world changes every day and we have to change with it but maybe that is why Facebook and other ones we stay away from because it is cumbersome.  I hope our security is kept at the highest so we don't see our names out there.

David333
Walker

I have been using a Fitbit since May of 2010.Changing the format to what we are now being forced to use to log food is absolutely one of the worst things Fitbit has ever done. I agree with a lot of others. Go back to the old format or I am gone forever. I will never ever purchase another Fitbit product again.The previous format was much easier and better.Why mess up a good thing?

Bonnie62
Runner

Fully & completely agree with our David333.  Like I've posted before in several other posts, I was all set to purchase one of the new upgraded Fitbits for my birthday this weekend (currently have the old original Charge HR).  But won't be doing so now.  Fitbit seems to like shooting themselves in the foot, but I won't be adding my foot that.

vtp
Base Runner

Make a workable design, a new-new one or the old one, or have no one use this junk. Simple as.

mscatz_9
Strider

Totally agree.  The new format is totally unusable.

LarryJorge
Jogger

Very unhappy with the food log change.  Would be great to have the option of the previous food log or the new one.

The Managers need to make changes to justify their job and pay.

Looking for another app, any suggestions?

Won't consider another Fitbit!

Larry

pixieschat1
First Steps

Please change it back!!!! This new option makes it impossible to log meals, then divide them into servings.

Before I would create a "meal", include all the ingredients and the result would be a recipe w/ macros and calories. 

Then I would create a "custom food" enter the information from the "meal" as 1 serving equaling a recipe and there was an option below to break that recipe into servings. This was great!!! I could create my meals and have the macros for it easily accessible, now I have to find another site....why even have the option to add food if it is so cumbersome to keep track of it!!! 

My vote to change it back ....or a possible idea include a serving option as before on the new interface.

JeanMT
Jogger

Yes, the new website Food Log is HORRIBLE! It takes several more steps to log food. Toggling between recent for leftover and frequent for common foods is harder, as I have to scroll to get the other option. It is NOT user-friendly.  I don't like having my entire screen filled with the graph of food the last 30 days, before scrolling down to the food logging portion, and having to scroll even further to select any day not the current one. Also, albeit it MUCH less of a problem, the nearly colorless (below the very space-consuming graph) format looks so ... sterile and unappealing.
I didn't realize it happened yesterday, as I only logged breakfast then, and it was fine at that time. I wanted to get caught up this evening, after dinner, and found just one more reason to dread Valentine's Day (until marrying a few years ago, I NEVER had a good V-Day). A similar change had been made last year, around the time the Charge 3 was introduced, and they "fortunately" had the old format back the next day, or I never would have purchased another Fitbit product. So far, the only problem from last year that seems to have been solved is the ability to enter lass than a whole item. Unfortunately, because it was returned to the previous, easy-to-use format, I bought a Charge 3, and gave my Alta HR (which itself had replaced my Alta) to a relative, and even bought another Alta HR that I've loaned to another relative, starting him on Fitbit, and I WAS going to try to encourage him to use the food log - not going to do that now.
I don't like recording food, but once I started with the previous format, several months after getting my Alta, it wasn't too bad, and I kept it up. I may still log food, but I'll have to use the app (which I rarely did before, because it wasn't as easy, so would wait until I was on the web site, usually the next day, but now, the web site is the more difficult).
Argh! This has taken all of my ardor out of my Valentine's Day. My poor husband!

pixieschat1
First Steps

Lol I put my husband through the same thing. As I try to log our Valentines meal we cooked I’m faced with the new format which led to 30 minutes trying to figure out how to manipulate it, cold food, my heated feedback,  and a disgruntled husband. 

Hope your Valentines gets better!!!  🙂

Bonnie62
Runner

It's absolutely HORRIBLE.  I don't even think I'm going to bother trying to log in our Valentine's Day dinner.  I simply don't have the 45+ minutes to spare.  With the original Log page, I'd be done logging it in in about 10 minutes.

NY2TX
Hill Runner

So here's another dumb programming error. It is impossible to log a standard 16.9 oz bottle of water. Why? Because the program won't accept it. I just tried to add the two 16.9 oz bottles as 33.8 oz, and the idiot program came back and said I had to enter either 33 or 34 ounces.

Now that's perfect precision for ya. SERIOUSLY?

fretwells
Recovery Runner

I hate the change - logging food should be limited to exactly that. The point of using a browser is access to a keyboard to speed up the process. Instead it's a hybrid clone of different IOS pages. Awful. Change it back or I'm  moving platforms

fretwells
Recovery Runner

Amazon and ebay's interfaces look dated but they don't change the basic principle because they work. Please understand this.

raquel54
Base Runner

I *hate* the new flood logging interface.

It took long enough to log your food w/ the old interface, it takes even more time now.

There doesn't appear to be a way to customize your own screen (don't want to see that useless (to me) food graph.

I don't want to see the history all the time (make it so you can collapse it).

You took away the functionality of being able to move a food from one meal to another (if you've accidentally logged it as 'anytime' instead of lunch because the system stupidly defaults the mealtime to 'anytime').

It takes too many clicks to get in an edit meals/favorites/etc.

The listing of Quick Adds takes up way too much space (don't need to see the entire descriptions).

I want to see how many calories I have left in a day CLEARLY at the top like it was and not buried in the middle.

There should be at least an option for the users to choose which interface they want to use.  It wasn't (all the broke) before, now I dread using it.

Tenacious_Z
Jogger

The new food log is terrible, it takes three or four times as long to enter foods, it's hard to see because of the light gray on white, the drop-down menus are inconveniently located and only allow for 2 or 3 items to be viewed at a time, the graphs at the top of the page are not needed or wanted on the FOOD LOGGING page, 'Recent Foods' doesn't actually list the most recent food for easy copying to the next day (my lunch is usually the second half of what I cooked for dinner the night before), and overall it is an absolute nightmare to use.  This was a ridiculous 'update' that did not need to happen.  I am scouting around for a better fitness tracker and food log combination because my ability to quickly and easily log my food is absolutely essential to my health.  This is no game.

ashwolve
Interval Runner

This is another move that has been met with a lot of displeasure the same as when they changed the mobile dashboard (which is still not user friendly) as for this food log its confusing, data incorrect and some functions have been removed all together please don't just take the word or the comments on here to make you decisions also refer to the thread https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/New-Food-Logging-Page/td-p/3253537/highlight/fa... this highlights a lot more issues with this and would strongly suggest reverting back to the old format while drastic improvements happen and then trial it amongst the masses don't just implement it until it is working correctly

Regards

Wayne

JanetJJ7
First Steps

The new format is terrible. The graph is huge and useless. You can't drag meal items to a different timeframe. The old system looked better and worked better. By the way, I do NOT like being surprised by changes like this. What were you thinking? Please revert to the old system!!!!!

JanetJJ7
First Steps

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it's harder to see!!!!  Please, please revert to the old system.

gtg947h
Strider

As others have noted, there are a couple good things but lots of "WTF were you thinking?" with the new interface.  A lot of it breaks down into "why did you get rid of this?"

Good:

Better macros breakdown

Bad:

Macros no longer displayed in grams in the "meal editor" interface.  I used a lot of custom meals to calculate totals for recipes, and entered those numbers as custom foods.  E.g. I kept one for "chili", where I'd edit the amounts of ingredients, see the total macros, and enter those as a new "custom food" for that day. 

Speaking of the meal editor, there's now no way to edit the amount of a given food in the meal.  You have to delete that item and enter it again.  That's really stupid.  Why take away this function? 

There's no way to drag foods between meals if you entered them in the wrong place.  Again, a function that's been removed.

The day's meals (breakfast, lunch, snack, etc) should be expanded by default, or not collapse at all.

The categories on the right (meals, foods, favorites ,etc.) should stay expanded until we manually close them.  Don't keep closing after each addition.

The number of search results when looking for foods has gone down.

The "time" for entering the food (breakfast, lunch, etc) should stay at the last-used value, instead of defaulting back to "anytime" after each entry.

zebyule
Jogger

I agree....Bring back the old food log!

Moderator Edit: Formatting

bplopper
Jogger

Ugh, yes. At least provide a link to the old version if you insist on the new version.

chbs
First Steps

I understand you wanted to make the website match the app, but that was a terrible idea and people don't use them the same way. The cals in v. out chart is obnoxious and takes up the whole screen, which is pointless and ugly on a desktop/browser. I want to be able to drag & drop foods to particular times of day again. The "Quick add" menus are bulky to click on and take up too much space, and then when you expand them it's hard to read and find the foods you've added. Also, why can't I move or collapse the water tile? Please revert to the old page.

boilerguy
First Steps

I agree, the original format was easier and better. Bring back the old format. Thanx

raquel54
Base Runner

wrote: 

I understand you wanted to make the website match the app, but that was a terrible idea and people don't use them the same way. 

Or for those who HATED using the App in the first place.  I typically only used the app to sync my Fitbit while I was away from my home computer so I could seem my steps or calorie allotment.  Not everyone wants to or can use "app"-style databases.  

Not that anyone is even listening ...

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.