Built-in GPS for Versa

Every fitnes tracker should come with built-in GPS. It is very uncomfortable to take your phone when you go running. In this case the the Versa would be the perfect watch. And even the built-in storage for music would make sense. Now it does not because you have to take your phone with you anyway so why bother with transferring music to watch. Just make a built-in GPS version, people will pay slightly more for it.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

40 Comments
CatB1983
First Steps

Waited years for an upgrade to the surge and the ionic came out. Found the design a bit boxy so opted for a garmin instead. Just seen the design for the new Fitbit versa which in my opinion is a much more asthetically pleasing design. Any plans to add a GPS version to this? 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I respectful disagree. The GPS in my Surge drains the battery too quickly. I'd disable it if I could. I always take my phone (in a waist pack). I value long battery life more than built-in GPS because I wear my Surge almost 24 hours a day for sleep and wake tracking. If I don't use the GPS, it fully charges during the time I take a shower. The Surge is almost perfect for me apart from a) lacks day indicator on digital watch face b) lacks interchangeable sport/dress bands c) a (count up) stopwatch would be nice. A Surge minus GPS plus these three would be a winner IMHO.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Many users out there dont like connected gps. The new versa is great but lacks gps. So instead of carrying a phone, it would be better if you made a little gps device which fits in pocket that connects with the tracker and acts as the connected gps.

smwebster13
Jogger

I got the Ionic for Christmas, but looking at the Versa, it has just about everything the Ionic does and it's a much better looking device.  I'm even thinking about selling my Ionic to exchange for the Versa but the lack of having a GPS enabled version is the main thing holding me back.  I for one would pay more to get the Versa GPS enabled. I've heard the "you can just get the Ionic..."calls, but I have it and the Versa is a significantly better looking device.  Would love to see Fitbit offer a more expensive Versa with GPS enabled. 

Moderator Edition Labels. 

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

WavyDavey
10K Racer

I don't use GPS very often, so I'd be fine with having my phone with me and using the Versa's Connected GPS.

My fear is that adding a GPS chip to the Versa would not only increase the price, but it would have to be redesigned into a larger watch. The Versa is getting high marks for how sleek it is.

smwebster13
Jogger

I want this option specifically for working out/running without having to bring my phone.  And I hear you, my hope would be that they could find a way to add the GPS chip without increasing the size of the watch so it is still the sleek look that makes it so appealing.  I mean, it looks like an Apple Watch, but Apple Watch has GPS.  I'd much rather get the Versa as it has better battery life, and I use it more for fitness & sleep tracking. 

WavyDavey
10K Racer

We can have big + GPS + great battery life, with a higher price = Ionic

We can have small + no GPS + great battery life, at a very reasonable price = Versa

I'm not sure we can have GPS + small + great battery life, at a reasonable price, just yet. (I consider AW to be a fail on price and battery here)

But if anyone can do that, Fitbit can.

smwebster13
Jogger

I have the Ionic and the design isn't nearly as nice, hence why I'd rather pay more for a Versa with GPS enabled.  I know the way its currently set up, just saying I personally would love to see them eventually roll out a more expensive Versa w/GPS as it is a much better looking watch than Ionic. 

Kerryb1985
Jogger

I am disapointed to see the new versa doesnt have gps or ios access. It looks stunning- lovely design but its a deal breaker for me. As a runner i want a watch that i dont need to take my phone out with me. Nothing worse than carrying a heavy phone on a run. I am sure also Apple are being difficult about accessing messages on iphones. But what a shame its only for android users! 

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Kerryb1985!

Let's see what other users say about your idea.

Clinkscales6
First Steps

The new versa absolutely needs gps. The whole point is for me is to not have to carry my phone to track runs and listen to music.

Lis88
Recovery Runner

I completely agree i think a versa with built in GPS would be perfect!

I have an ionic already and i much prefer the versa however i don’t want to loose the built in GPS. I understand that the versa has connected GPS but this really drains the phone battery if used for a long time and if for example i was out for a days hiking by myself and my phone died it is much more problematic than if it was just my watch battery that died, using the built in GPS of my watch means that i still have my phone with a full battery incase i need to call anyone or theres an emergency etc. 

Also if another version of the versa is released with GPS I wouldn’t mind if it was slightly bigger as long as it still had the same stylish design and i would pay more for it because it looks way nicer than the ionic does. 

Please consider doing this!

LivThomas
First Steps

I'm currently looking to update my fitbit and love the look, design and features of the new fitbit Versa. However as an avid runner I'm disappointed that it lacks a built in GPS feature. I know it has a connected GPS feature, but I don't really like running with my phone in my pocket or on my arm. 

Therefore I would love it if fitbit were to release a fitbit versa plus (or something similar) that includes the GPS feature. This means that those who wish to have a cheaper smartwatch can opt for the current Versa, while those who want to have the smartwatch that includes the GPS feature; like myself, can pay a bit more to have the Versa Plus. 

I hope this idea is something you'd like to consider or are already considering.

Thank you for your time.

CFroude
First Steps

Your should include built in GPS on Versa

Blue15
First Steps

It would be great to add GPS to the versa. The need for a fitbit with all the features of the versa and not having to carry your phone when running would be ideal.

As you can download Strava for running on the Versa but cannot use it fully as no GPS.

I am sure you would sell more to runners if this was the case. As most of your adverts show a runner this is odd not to have GPS. I have lots of fitbit so a bit disappointing. 

Durus
Runner

The Ionic has built in GPS.  I'm pretty sure the Versa is less expensive is for this reason.

I am an avid Apple Watch user but am looking to switch back to Fitbit. I want a GPS enabled device so that I can run without my phone. I know that there is currently the Ionic option, but it is large and boxy and not my style. I LOVE the style of the Versa. It is similar to what I have in my Apple Watch. If there was an option for the Versa with GPS enabled, I’d be willing to pay more.

PLEASE, seriously consider this option. You could definitely steal back some of the market share from Apple!

Chloet
First Steps

This watch needs a built in Gps. The whole point of wearing a fitness watch is so that you don't need to take your phone with you. For running and hiking, I hate taking my phone but I want the distances to be accurate. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please make a Versa with on board GPS or a smaller more attractive version of the Iconic. I’ve been a Fitbit user for years and love the app and community, but I want an attractive smartwatch with GPS, so I’m close to jumping ship. 

MHives
First Steps

I love everything about the Versa; it’s design, features, and capabilities, the one thing missing is a built in GPS. The Versa is a smaller and in my opinion more feminine version of the ionic. It has the ability to save music therefore enabling you to leave the phone at home during runs or physical activities. I was so disappointed to learn that the GPS feature (which I find very important as a runner) was only available when connected to your phone. I really hope that FitBit creates a version of the Versa with a built in GPS like the Ionic.

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MHives, thanks for your suggestion. I moved it to this similar post, so we can add you vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas. 

Mcannon82
First Steps

A new versa should come out that has the ability to track swimming (like ionic) and have the built in GPS (like ionic). The versa is more trendy looking!

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Mcannon82! I merged your idea into this suggestion. The Versa already have the swim feature. For more information please check this Help site article.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.