Change alarm message from "Look Alive" to something else

When my mum passed away, your "look alive" alarm was a constant reminder and made me feel crap.
28 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Redders887 , and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about changing the "Look Alive" message with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

ahm107
First Steps

I second this - there are easily other messages that could be used in it's place that do not remind users of a loved ones passing every morning. 

BathmatChiller
First Steps

Agreed. Lost a best friend to suicide - the mental health struggle is real enough without your "health" tracker reminding you to (what seems sarcastically) "look alive"... Literally the only reason I'm now looking at an apple watch as an alternative. Named alarms with something customisable and less triggering would be worth the spend. 

LOOKALIVE
First Steps
Please get rid of the Look alive! Message.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @LOOKALIVE, thanks for sharing your idea about the possibility of getting rid of changing the Look Alive message on the Fitbit device. I noticed that a similar suggestions has already been posted, so I’ve moved your post here, this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make sure to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time.

Thank you again for your participation in the Community.

Amaryana
First Steps

So agree, "look alive" is the most obnoxious  phrasing possible. 

deb2021
First Steps

This “Look Alive” message threw off my mood since the first day it woke me up, so rude. I had been using my phone alarm with a customized message reminding me to be thankful for the new day.
I searched for a way to change it and wound up here, How disappointing. 
my vote is for customization.

Redders887
First Steps

@DavideFitbit @JuanFitbit Hi both. Please provide us all with an update.

So much focus on mental health I think the world and rightly so, yet many people having to avoid or put up with a horribly worded message in your default alarm message.

This is an awfully misjudged attempt at showing some extra personality and needs to be rectified.

Zoro273
First Steps

I hope this request gets better luck than its sibling form 2015 !

configuring alarm text is a very basic feature, and should be easily done as an update to the alarms app.

I got the Fitbit Ace 3 for my kiddo who has ADHD to help him funnel his activity and better remember things but I was shocked that I couldn’t assign a label to the alarm, was very disappointed !

kristi36
First Steps

I wholeheartedly agree with the above comments. It seems a huge misstep and insensitive choice of words for an ecosystem based around not just physical, but mental health. Surely a simple adjustment so people can wake up with their own personal message of positivity! 

dana06
First Steps

Found this page via search. It's ridiculous and insulting how this is an issue in 2022. 

1. "Look Alive" is insensitive in its phrasing, and seems to be from that "quirky" school of "let's motivate you by insulting you". No thank you. I can't believe it had not been changed for years!

2. It does not even make sense! Many of us use alarms for different purposes besides mornings. At the VERY least, changing the text to a neutral "ALARM" text is the bare minimum you can do. 

Tigrez
First Steps
An alternative screen text to “LooK alive!”
when the alarm is going off, as it is not
always suitable. A no text option, or
choices from options such as "Take
meds", or "Time to get going".
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Tigrez, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to change alarm message from "Look Alive" to something else. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

JMW1015
First Steps

It's in poor taste, how can this be removed???

fmrees
Recovery Runner

i too would like to see this "look alive" go away or become optional or editable.

last thing i want to see coming out of a dead sleep... it is, imho, really in bad taste but maybe that is coming from the viewpoint of someone old enough to think waking is looking alive

ditch it

wellbit
First Steps
Basically, there are too few messages on Versa 2. I would like to see more.
There is one for the alarm saying 'Pretend you are live". Love this! As a non-morning person this injects humour into my day!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @wellbit, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to customize alarm messages. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

BubbleSquish200
First Steps

I agree that, "Look Alive!" is not a great option. Please do offer the option to change alarm messages per alarm and not just have one "slogan" or message that is the same for all alarms.

Labeling and customizing alarms would be a wonderful feature. I see that this feature has been asked for in the forums multiple times by customers/users, but there's no plans by Fitbit to make any changes. Why is alarm labeling not a priority?

I am new to Fitbit and smart watches in general. Having the option to have labeled alarms may influence my next choice in smart watches.

Bobbbbbbb
Jogger

I absolutely hate the "look alive" message. Please change! Not only do I agree with what others have said about the mental health impact of folks who have lost someone, but it is also instructive and feels weirdly judgemental. Like I'm wrong for feeling tired. Not something I want to wake up to in the morning. 

Anonymous561
Jogger

How have years passed and Fitbit still has not provided the option to customize this text? Bad user experience. 

Add the option to customize Alarm wake message text. "Look Alive!" is bad UX Writing on the Alarm screen. At worst, it's a reminder of lost loved ones and depression. At best, it's a waste of space that should be used to allow users to customize their awakening reminder (Take meds, for example).

MokaGolden
First Steps

I want this to be changed so badly. It did not bother me until I was grieving a death. Over a year later and I am still reminded how much it hurt to see that message the second my eyes opened.

Additionally, if you need an alarm for anything other than waking up in the morning, the message makes no sense at all. 

This is the first and last Fitbit product I will ever own.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Anonymous561, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about changing the message displayed when your alarm goes off with us. I noticed this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Sew.crafty
First Steps

I've seen requests for this change going back to at least 2019. How is there no movement on something this simple? Please change this obnoxious alarm message to be customizable! At the very least, just remove the words. 🤷🏼‍:female_sign: 

Bguzman10
First Steps

Please get rid of the "Look Alive! alarm message. I use this alarm to help with my medication times. It's depressing I don't and can't always "look alive" when my condition is progressing. 

Redders887
First Steps

@JuanFitbit @DavideFitbit  

@YojanaFitbit @LizzyFitbit 

Please provide us all with an update. You keep merging threads into this one but have you actually read people's messages in here? You need to read and empathise, perhaps show a little compassion for what people have shared. 

As I said before there's so much focus on mental health in the world and rightly so, yet many people having to avoid or put up with a horribly worded message in your default alarm message.

This is an awfully misjudged attempt at showing some extra personality and needs to be rectified.

I am lucky enough to have upgraded to a Pixel Watch which has the fitbit tracking without the stupid alarm message. But it saddens me seeing this request with so many people also upset with that feature.

If you can't fix the inconsiderate alarm message, you should be offering refunds or sending people Pixel Watches given how serious the impact is here and how none of your team have shown any sign of caring about the impact it's having.

Continuing to ignore this without an actual response and acknowledgement is an insult to everyone trying to support your business here and is a total disgrace.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.