Change the iOS notifications settings

Well if anyone is having issues with their Fitbit and getting text message notifications on your device it seems that since the update you need to go into your settings - notifications - messages and make sure show previews is set to always on. I personally do not like this, nor have you had to have it set up like that in the past. I don't know about you but I don't want my messages sitting on my phone screen for all to see just to get them to show again on my Fitbit. I think that this is something Fitbit needs to look into quickly, you never had to have show previews set to always before. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and added label

40 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@DaBiGBo5s Thanks for your suggestion to change the way how text message notifications need to be configured.

We'll see what other Community members think.

Dainiuris
First Steps

I just realized I need to have my "Show Previews" turned on in my messages to receive the texts on my Versa. this isn't practical for me. I use my phone for work and having my messages show is not something I need. Who had this bright idea? I communicate with my bosses and honestly I dont need any nosy person around me looking at my phone and seeing personal messages. This is ridiculous. This may very well be a deal breaker for me. I've had a Fitbit since 2013 but ya'll are forcing me to look into other things because my privacy isn't important to you guys. 

VersaErica
First Steps

I have never had a problem receiving text messages on my versa from my iphone. Now since I have updated my iphone the only way I can receive the notifications is if I have the messages on my iphone show up on the main screen. For my privacy I should not have to have the text messages show up on my phone, and have never had to do this before. I'm hoping something will be worked out with IOS and fitbit so be able to fix this problem. Thank you

Status changed to: New
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@Dainiuris Thanks for your suggestion about bringing back No Previews Necessary.

I moved it to this thread because it is the same idea.

DaBiGBo5s
Jogger

Dainiuris,

I couldn’t agree more, I work for a police department and often my phone is laying on my desk, I don’t need people txting me and them being able to read personal messages off my phone, this is a feature that I have never had on and never well, I like my privacy. And I also agree that if Fitbit doesn’t make some sort of change and soon I will be exploring different options, maybe even go back to the Apple Watch, we’ve been with Fitbit for many years, but our privacy trumps their profitability. I’m sure it’s an easy fix and hopefully more in the community feel the same way 

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@VersaErica Thanks for your suggestion.

Ktkoebel
Jogger

Yes, Fitbit please fix this!!!  Many of us do not like people around us being able to preview our text messages and have always had that feature turned off. It was never an issue with being able to get Fitbit notifications for text messages until now. I love my Fitbit, but one of the reasons is because I don’t have to always have my phone on my to see messages. If this feature is no longer working for me, I will shop for another brand of fitness tracker 

alliede517
First Steps

Fitbit, please fix this issue!! I do not want to have Show Previews on my phone. I never have and messages previously worked for notifications. I just recently talked about how much I prefer fitbit over other options because of your impeccable customer support - however, I will shop another brand if this is not fixed.Thank you so much for looking into this problem!! I appreciate you fixing for us!

KNM7410
First Steps

It would be nice if we didn't have to select "show preview" on your iPhone settings in order to be able to receive texts notifications on your Versa now. This was not required before the ios 13 update. Please change it back to not having to show a preview on your phone for this to be enabled. 

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@KNM7410 Thanks for your suggestion about changing the way text notifications are currently configured. 

NikkiE0826
First Steps

This is super frustrating and I agree it needs to be changed quickly. It also makes you use Notification Centre which is useless. Fitbit, please change your setting back so that we can choice our privacy levels. Forcing us to have our messages displayed for all to see is not ok.

amandalizon
First Steps

This is a very large issue for me. Please bring back the old settings. I regret updating my iOS to iOS13.

Teag
Jogger

I completely agree! I don't always carry my phone with me, which is why I like having the fitbit show me my messages/calls.  I’m not nearly as confident in fitbit if I have to allow the message preview on my lock screen-my phone might be available for anyone to read the message! What a silly change to have made! I gave it time since the iOS update before changing the setting because I thought, surely there will be an update to fix this. I’m surprised there hasn’t been. 

nicki103
First Steps

When FitBit is synced to an iPhone, it will only show text notifications if "Shows Previews" on iPhone messages is set to on.  It never used to be this way - I have always had "Shows Previews" set to "Never" and I still received notifications.  This changed a few months ago - please fix it!  I do not want my texts to show a preview on my phone in case someone else is using my phone, so this should not be required.

nicki103
First Steps

Yes this is a HUGE issue!  It's been months, so I'm not sure why it hasn't been fixed yet.  I agree that I do not want my texts to show previous since I am sometimes texting sensitive material that I don't want others to see.  One of the biggest reasons why I use my FitBit is for text notifications since I often don't have my phone on me.  Since I can no longer use it that way, I do not use my FitBit and do not plan on using it until this fixed.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator
Hi @nicki103. Thanks for sharing your suggestion about the settings that allow you to receive text notifications. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Let me share that this is currently a workaround that our team suggests to receive text notifications after updating to iOS 13. Our team is aware about how this is affecting our users and they're working on a fix. You can check this thread for future updates about this matter.
JMitchell21
First Steps

Can you change it back to the option of not having your text preview on “always” for you to be able to receive text notifications on the Fitbit. I recently just update my app and wasn’t receiving my text notifications after almost 2 years of receiving them and never changing any text notifications in that time to having to change my notifications to show previews>always! I do not like this as I had the previews off to have my messages private on my phone! 

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @JMitchell21, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

TamaraO
First Steps

I agree that this is the worst change ever!  Due to my job classification I cannot have messages previewed on my phone. I found the prior Fitbit notifications handy because I was alerted to important calls and texts when in meetings, etc., without having my confidential texts previewed.  I do need the prior text notification feature back; therefore, I am looking into other fitness devices because the Fitbit no longer meets my needs.

lmazz722
Jogger

This was the feature that was I looked for.  My text messages are private, not for the whole world to see.... This feature worked just fine before all the updates.. I hope fitbit reconfigures this feature to work again

courtneyrou35
First Steps

I hope Fitbit can see how silly it is to have made text messages required to be always previewed on the iPhone in order to receive notifications on my Versa 2. It completely defeats the purpose of NOT having to pick up my phone every time I receive a message. I use my phone at work and need to have my privacy and cannot have my phone displaying previews of all my messages, which is why the Versa 2 notifications worked perfectly before. I can't see how this new change is at all advantageous to the users. I was really excited about my new Versa 2, but if they don't change it back I might as well return my purchase and get something that will work for me. 

lmazz722
Jogger
Exactly! I hope they make this part of the next update... One of the main
reasons I purchased my Versa
--
Lisa~~Sent from Gmail Mobile

“Show Previews” shouldn’t need to be enabled in orders for me to receive text notifications.  I don’t like to show previews on my phone (even if it’s only when it’s unlocked) due to privacy reasons.  I think it’s a big miss on Fitbit to require us to have this setting turned on in order to receive text notifications on my device, and I think they need to prioritize updating this.  

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @annacjohnson11. Thanks for explaining why you'd like to change the text notifications settings for iOS 13 with us. I've found a similar feature suggestion, so I’ve moved your post here. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

emilyalvarez
First Steps

My husband and I recently bought our Fitbit Versa Lites and upon setting them up, we were wondering how we can receive text messages on our iPhones, with no preview, and have our Fitbits receive those same text notifications. After walking through troubleshooting with an agent via Fitbit chat, we found that our Versa Lites are unable to receive text notifications unless the Show Previews "When Unlocked" or "Always" are on (Settings > Notifications > Messages > Options > Show Previews > than either "When Unlocked" or "Always"). If the Show Previews is on "Never," the Fitbit won't notify you at all. 

We had trusty Altas before the Versa, and they always notified us of our messages/calls while our phones would simultaneously visibly notify us without a message preview.

We just figured this should be brought up in the forum in case anyone else was wondering the same thing! 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.