Create a Fitbit recycling program

My Fitbit HR was not holding charge so received a replacement for free after contacting customer support.  I am disappointed that I was only advised to recycle the old unit with local e-waste facility.  I don't mind spending my own time tracking down a place because I care.  But Amazon offers free e-recycling program for their old products, not just defective units.  Given how many Fitbit I've seen on people's wrists I'll think twice before purchasing a Fitbit in the future (received my current one as a gift).

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

34 Comments
gagafix
Jogger

Recycling by Fitbit.com would be something I support.

earthmom
Jogger

I would think Fitbit would want to encourage their users to recycle old fitbits. Many people now want to recycle anything they can. Fitbit should have a program like many places do for cellphone recycling to be able to re-use all those little bits of precious metals which I am sure are in them. It would encourage me, and many others I am sure, to buy Fitbit in future.

Mountainlove
First Steps

Fitbit should offer a recycle program. Tons of users have old or damaged Fitbits with no where to send them in. There is a link for a non-profit in one forum that wants old trackers that work to give to under-served communities, but for the trackers that are damaged or if you aren't in the state it isn't realistic. Fitbit should want to recycle their own product and offer discounts on refurbished Fitbits, this would help reduce waste and encourage customers to stick with your product instead of giving up on this company and trying a different one.

cbzen
First Steps

Fitbit should take responsibility for the entire lifecycle of their products. From sales to recycle to disposal. I say this as a customer who has purchased 3 Fitbit motion trackers and 1 scale.

RachelRobbins
First Steps

I absolutely agree, @Cloudy9832. I also agree with @cbzen.

@Fitbit- please consider developing a recycling program for those of us who enjoy your products and want to better the environment. Thank you.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

HotCizz
First Steps

Cradle to grave, Fitbit. The consumers demand environmental stewardship.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Not just recyclable but serviceable as well. So that if it's only one part that breaks / wears out / is faulty (battery, screen, buttons...), you only replace that part and don't get rid of the entire device. Like with pro studio headphones or the Fairphone.

Abokc
First Steps

Please make Fitbit serviceable!  And recycleable

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is a great idea! I'm actually a little surprised that FitBit hasn't made their environmental considerations clear yet.

As the original elastomer wristband for my Charge 2 inches closer to death, I found that the only replacement options are made of plastic or leather, neither of which are preferable since conservation and animal welfare are high on my list of priorities as a consumer. Additionally, I haven't found a resin identification code (RIC) to match the wristband's material, so I may have to contact my Public Works office, which is a tad inconvenient.

We'll see, fingers crossed. I'm very interested to see where this goes!

vickismart
First Steps

I would really love to see a Fitbit recycling programme! Considering how popular they are, I can only imagine that most old bands and even the faces end up being thrown out. I have an Alta HR currently and my old Flex sits in a draw with two wristbands and charger... they have no value so I wouldn’t want to sell on. My boyfriend has an old one too. Fingers crossed this comes about soon!

hope4espi
First Steps

Yes, I have received a number of replacements and do not know what to do with the broken ones. I support a recycling program 100%

fitterbitter23
First Steps

Fitbit should promote and organize a recycling program for its trackers that cannot be used any longer. Any major company like this has a responsibility to do so. 

jeanne123
First Steps

I love my fitbit and the excellent customer support for a replacement if it stops working.  I would love fitbit even more if the company offered a recycle program and allowed customers to return their old ones when getting a new one!

MMabrey
First Steps

When I could not get my Charge 3 to synch, even with tech support, I was graciously issued a replacement.  I was very disappointed that there were no return instructions; I'm sure a Fitbit tech could fix the problem easily if returned, and it is in perfect condition.  That it would sit in a landfill does not sit well with me, nor does sending it an electronics recycling center.  Please allow us to send our devices back for refurbishing, especially newer modes in excellent condition.

lazuliyana
First Steps

Was offered a replacement for a faulty Alta but was disappointed to learn Fitbit does not take responsibility for the lifetime of their products and was told to take my old model to a recycling facility. I'm sure Fitbit could step up and fix issues instead of chucking old electronics away. Disappointing and will not be purchasing another in the future. 

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Cloudy9832 and thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience :). To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

COskier92
First Steps

@LizzyFitbit Any updates? Especially with the holiday gift push upon us, this would be the most optimal time to implement this idea.

I agree.

My Fitbit Alta fell apart yesterday (nobody's fault, it's old, it's seen the world...) The electronic components still work fine and could be refurbished.

Once the quarantine lifts I'll take it into Best Buy for their electronics recycling, but this is an area Fitbit could take advantage of.

(Also, I searched but found no posts with keywords: Broken, disposal, or recycle. It took me some searching for a question everyone should be asking sooner or later.)

jen_in_oregon
First Steps

I've had my Charge2 for 2 years now, but the battery will no longer take a charge. I just found out from customer service that the batteries are not replaceable. I never would have purchased this device had I known this. I should have researched more before purchasing. Never would I have imagined that something as simple as a watch battery wouldn't be able to be replaced. This is a really horrible impact on our planet Fitbit! You make a wonderful device and software. Please improve your product to make it align with more sustainable living! Unfortunately, as much as I love your product, I will not be able to purchase another device since none of them have replaceable batteries.

FranSh
Jogger

I couldn't agree more with this thread! Please push this further up your road map Fitbit! 

I managed to keep my Charge2 going for 4 years but it's now cracked and the battery needs so much charging nowadays. I was horrified that when I questioned them about how to send to their in-cycle scheme they 1) do not have one and 2) Asked me to contact my local recycling scheme to decipher how to best recycle it. This puts the full end-of-life responsibility on the customer which is unfair for such a complex product, which has multiple materials and parts which will undoubtedly need to be dis-assembled and each material dealt with separately.

Fitbit need to take responsibility for their design, all future models should have repair, replace and recycle built into the design. They also need to capture the products and parts (countless straps I have purchased to keep the product going) and deal with them.

You are a sport tech company, you are one of the very few businesses that have a Research and Development department. Think Adidas, think Nike... all of these brands are working the problem because they can because they have the R&D built in.

Everyone here is invested in health and wellbeing, but you have misinterpreted that interest as bring for the self only. The health of people & planet are equally important to your community. Please do better!

lauramariel
Recovery Runner

I agree 10000%. Especially since their devices only seem to last about a year

Milksheik
Jogger

I came to this thread as all of you, looking for a responsible way to dispose of my dead Fitbit Alta HR. Which by the way, agree with @lauramariel, it only lasted about a year. Even more a reason why the company should take responsibility for the end-of-life plan of their products, if they are practically disposable. 

It's sad to see this has been a suggestion for over 3 years and Fitbit still hasn't responded or made themselves accountable. I wonder how many Fitbits are sitting in a landfill as we speak. 

pochedley
First Steps
I've seen Fitbit advocate donating your old Fitbit, but after a few years of use many Fitbits aren't in good enough shape for re-use (cracked screen, broken straps, etc.). Please upvote if you believe Fitbit should recycle old/broken Fitbit devices (like some competitors do).
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @pochedley. Thanks for taking the time to explain why you'd like to see a recycling program for Fitbit products with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.