Customizable vibration length and patterns for notifications

I often miss my notifications because I'm actively concentrating on something.  Even when the vibrations are set to strong.  I am most concerned about reminders to move.

1. Option to make reminders to move more like an alarm that could be "snoozed" or vibrate longer so it could be noticed when busy (highest priority)
  2. I would like the option to add custom vibrate patterns 
  3. Set the vibrate patterns to particular apps/alerts 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject and updated label

126 Comments
Jbone13
Jogger

Is anyone from Fitbit monitoring these request?   Is anything being done to solve this issue and make this an enhancement?  I haven't heard from anyone at Fitbit.  This seems like an easy update to do why is nothing being done or conveyed?  

Jeanette61
First Steps
Previously I had the Charge. Now with the Charge 2 I can never feel the
signal. The first model was perfect for me and I and others on this thread
felt the new version was actually a step backwards. I hear the Charge 3 is
better on the alarm feature, but I am still using the Charge 2 and an alarm
clock again. Will check out the Alta again-Are you using the new Alta or the
older version?
Smash2019
First Steps

I just got it this past weekend, so I’m gonna guess the new one. 

unit00
First Steps

I just got my Fitbit Versa and while I'm mostly very pleased with it, I'm not happy with the limited options for vibrations. 

The current options are:

- Normal

- Strong

- Just not having notifications on.

And that sucks! The notifications are really useful and a feature I like. But having it vibrate so much is distracting, annoying, and for some people (like people with autism or sensory-processing disorders), distressing.

So here are my suggestions.

I would really appreciate a weak vibration option (although I understand this might not be possible with the hardware) and/or a no vibration option. The screen would still come on, it just wouldn't vibrate.

Also, anytime you get a notification, it vibrates twice. An option for just one vibration would be fantastic. Even better, if we could customize it by app, so certain ones might vibrate once and others vibrate twice.

Another issue I have is that even when I'm using my phone, as in I actively have it unlocked and in my hand, and see the notification come up on my phone, it still goes to my watch. It doesn't need to! It just feels like I'm being nagged at that point. This could be solved with this option: Don't push notifications when phone is unlocked.

Lastly, if you suddenly get a burst in notifications from the same app - like if someone messages you several times, all of the sudden - it will keep vibrating for each one. This is very distracting and just feels bad on my wrist. There should be an option that says a single app won't notify you more than once every 30/60 seconds or so.

I hope there are others who feel the same as I do about this. I love the watch, but I feel it's really lacking in this department. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. Please consider these additions, devs!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @unit00! Great suggestion,  I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option on different trackers, I hope we receive updates soon.

unit00
First Steps

Disappointing to see that these options have been requested for two years only to be continuously met with "not currently planned".

Fabiozzo
First Steps

there should be a continous vibration pattern for phone calls

Fabiozzo
First Steps

sorry, forgot to specify... I'm on charge 3

estyzesty
First Steps

I have the Versa, really wishing there was an option to just have the screen light up instead of any vibrations.  I don't like how the vibration feels on my wrist at all.. it is an unpleasant sensation.

Dvheuvel
Recovery Runner

when it comes to notifications to move, I think this is a special category that could benefit from some special handling.  If the notification goes off 10mins before the hour but the user still hasn't moved on the hour, it would be nice to remind the user.  sure the steps goal for the hour has been missed, but that's not the important part... the user should still be reminded to move until they've met the minimum requirement.

Cassandra87
First Steps

I agree 100% with this, theres so much that could be done and have been asked for since the start. But never listened to.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

dgiaffe
Jogger

To me, i would love to say least turn the vibrations off. It is really annoying when someone sends you multiuple messages in a row. There is normal and strong, but for me, both are too intense. Id rather just turn it off but can't, and I still want my notifications.

jbender68
Base Runner

you can disable the alerts for text messages in the app if that was what you wantred

go to general, then to notifications , click on text messages and turn to off

I just want to set vibration option, length of buzz, number of buzzes, strength of buzz.... ect

dgiaffe
Jogger

I still want to get the alerts, I just don't want the vibration itself.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I wish I'd known about the message issue before I bought my Alta. I have no idea what messages I've missed and the vibration can't be turned off. So very annoying and ridiculous that Fitbit isn't addressing the issue. Looking into other tracker options. I can't recommend Fitbit. I have other issues, but the useless vibration interrupting my concentration bothers me more than the others.

Get with it Fitbit. 

Vsingh95
First Steps

I have a charge 3 and I need to turn off the vibration for when it connects to my phone. It does this multiple times in a couple of seconds and is ruining my jogs. Any help would be appreciated.

EngGuanSng
First Steps

Hi, I recently bought FitBit Inspire HR. One of the feature that I use most is the notification. Unfortunately, I found that the vibration alert is too short and gentle. Thus, I missed some of the notification alerts. I hope FitBit can update the firmware to allow user to have different intensity and also different vibration patterns for different alerts. 

@Vsingh95 

I'm not sure if this helps, but I have noticed when I reboot my phone (iPhone 6+, iOS 12.1.2), my Charge 3 buzzes for what feels like a long time (maybe about 3-5 seconds) and seems to push some notifications I thought I had seen already.

I've been able to figure out the multiple notifications when rebooting my phone has something to do with unacknowledged notifications I have in Notification Manager. If I clear out Notification Manager on my phone before I reboot it, I don't get the multiple vibrations/repushed notifications on my Charge 3 when my phone powers on and reconnects to my Charge 3.

Again, I'm not sure if this is similar to what you're experiencing. But if it is, you might check to make sure any outstanding notifications are dismissed from the iPhone Notification Manager (I'm sorry, I don't know what the equivalent notification app/feature might be on an Android phone) before you connect your Fitbit.

Good luck!

Bastila07
First Steps

Please can we get the option to disable vibration for things like texts...

Woffe
Recovery Runner

Hi,
i often dismiss notifications of my Versa because the vibrations are too short. It would be great if you can make the vibration individual for the notifications. Some like longer vibration, other shorter. Maybe it can vibrate two or three times.

I hope this is a good suggestion and many like it 🙂

Kind regards, Sascha

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Woffe, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

Lisbet1388
Jogger

Fitbit truly dropped the ball by discontinuing the Blaze.

The vibrations were STRONG. The unit was slightly elevated so you would never hit into a button during a workout or regular activity. The bands were SO easy to pop in and out to change. There literally was NOTHING wrong with the Blaze and there's everything wrong with the Versa.

A lot of users are asking for this option on different trackers, I hope we receive updates soon. Having it vibrate so much is distracting, annoying, and for some people (like people with autism or sensory-processing disorders), distressing.

Kay27
Jogger

I have an Inspire HR and the vibration is much too weak for me to feel. If you can’t have a setting to customize a vibration strength, then the initial vibration  need to be stronger. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.