Customize frequency of sync (hourly, daily)

Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned or not but I think that a feature for 'timed syncing', or however you want to call it, should be added. For example, theres the all day sync- which kills both phone and tracker battery syncing every 15-20 mins-or whatever its set to. I think we should have a option, for the background/automatic syncing, where we can set our own time intervals for syncing, every hour or 2 hours etc. Or/and, an option that allows us to set times that we would want it to sync at - every day. Ex. Everyday at 6am / 1pm / 6pm. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

110 Comments
saurabh9
Recovery Runner

I have updatded my sync profile with some reliability changes (version 1.1) . Working quite good for me so far. I am getting 5+ before I need to charge again.

Download from http://goo.gl/1LTPRs

Msims
First Steps
Add ability to schedule sync times instead of always syncing or having to open the app.
bitfit789123
Jogger

Agree with the above. I posted this in the iOS app section:

I recently upgraded my Zip to a Charge. A huge issue with the Zip was that the (non-rechargable) battery would run down within a week or two if you had all-day sync enabled on your mobile device. Turning it off allowed the battery to last a couple of months. 

Now, on the Charge, I have all-day sync enabled once again, and I'm down to roughly 50% battery capacity after only two days of normal usage. I want my Fitbit synced automatically a few times a day but don't need it to be synced every 15 minutes or whatever "all-day sync" does. Can we arrive at a happy medium between constant syncs and good battery life, possibly with an advanced customization setting on the app? 

LS426
Jogger

This feature would provide a great improvement on battery consumption.  From memory, the documentation states that All-Day-Sync will perform a sync every 15mins, which seems excessive given that the Fitbit can hold several days of history.  

I have a Samsung Note3 with a 3200 mAh battery.  I performed a couple weeks of testing with All-Day-Sync enabled, then disabled.  On average:

--> With All-Day-Sync disabled; I would generally get 2~3 days between phone charging.  

--> With All-Day-Sync enabled; I would get less than 1 day on a charge.

bitfit789123
Jogger

So, I did some experimenting with the Charge. I left "all day sync" on and turned off call notifications, tap gestures, and quick view. I got eight days of use on the Fitbit before I got the law battery warning. I left those other features turned off and turned off "all day sync" and again got eight days of use before getting a low battery warning.

Apparently, the battery drain issue with "all day sync" only affects the Fitbit Zip. 

TheReed
Jogger

I have documented that having all day sync on is destroying the battery life of my phone. Nexus 5  - Android 6.1. Having it sync on a schedule would keep me from having to remember to open the app every night.

TheReed
Jogger

Or at least fix the app so that it doesn't use half of my battery.

Jillanne
First Steps
Would love to have an option to auto sync and choose how many times a day. All day sync drains the battery and then I forget to sync it myself!
Un4Seen
Runner

Great idea!

Syncing at predfined time intervals (say every hour) and/or at predefined times of the day (eg. at 10:00, 14:00 and 18:00 every day) is a good compromise between all day sync (which kills the battery) and manual sync, which is cumbersome.

I have a job which makes me sit at a computer for at least 8 hours a day, but I get up and move from time to time and I keep a FitBit dongle plugged into my PC, so it would be great if a sync happened automatically every hour or so to update the dashboard with the latest steps I've taken.

Jason_WI
First Steps
Please add the ability to schedule sync times. I don't care for All Day sync and hate having to remember to manually sync.
Adagna
Recovery Runner

It was recommended to post this suggestion here.  Hopefully others feel the same way and developers could add this feature.

I like the battery life I get out of my Blaze when I have it set to manually sync however it would be very convenient to be able to have an option somewhere inbetween maual and constant sync.  For me it would be ideal to sync every 12-24 hours for battery life.  But maybe having options ranging from every few hours up to once per day would give everyone the flexibility that they need and the battery life savings.

As an example, when set to constant sync I get 3-4 days of battery life, when I set to manual sync I get 7-9 days.  The syncing kills battery life, so I don't want constant syncing but I also would like to convenience of having it automatically update my stats as well.

pss187
Jogger
I searched to see it was possible to schedule a sync ahead of time: for example at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. I only saw a support Forum response that it wasn't possible, and I haven't found an idea already on the idea forum on it. Would love to have this feature! It's hard to remember to sync the Fitbit and I'd rather it happen automatically.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes please Cat Happy

Groc
Jogger

I like to leave the Dashboard up so I can update my food and water intake, and/or my custom activity, on the fly. The problem is this means my Surge is auto-syncing. Ergo battery life suffers:-(

Letting me set the time(s) to sync would avoid excessive battery drain. Seconded 🙂

Jardack
Recovery Runner

I would love to have the option for automatically syncing once a day.  I turned off the all day sync as it was draining the battery and some days I am so busy I forget.

I am currently using a Charge HR so would love the option for that please!

Thanks

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 Smiley Wink

Bwangster12
Jogger

Yeah, not quite sure why there can't be a sync in background at a given time, or a sync when on wifi and/or a sync when phone is plugged in, etc.  Thats pretty much standard on most things that sync.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Before that, Fitbit needs to allow the device (e.g. Charge HR) to sync with the 'phone even when the 'phone doesn't have a network signal.  I've lost data when on holiday with no 3G/4G signal - the synchronisation just refuses to work even though 'phone and Charge HR can communicate through Bluetooth, which is unbelievable.

Once that idiotic design fault is fixed then I agree that a sync at a fixed time of day would be useful.  However, Fitbit designers are "kids from college" with no real world experience - for example, who else on this planet would design a device that depends on battery power but has NO way of displaying the battery level on it???  And the answer that "you just read it from your 'phone" is of zero value when the 'phone won't sync... see above!

JamesMucklow
Jogger
All day sync miles battery in android 7, but manual is not very frequent. I would like an option sometimes in between hourly, 3 hourly, or say on wake up of phone but not if done in last 3 hours. Basically something that does not wake the phone out of doze
dratoff
First Steps

I also think this would be a great feature.   sync on a daily basis is all I really need.

dangehring
First Steps

I cannot believe that this has not been implemented yet. It's logical and would make fitbit easier to use. Because I like the battery life of manuel sync and the convinience of all day sync, why not give people the best of both worlds. Leaving money on the table for companies like Apple......

sophware
First Steps

To keep battery use on smartphones at an absolute minimum, provide the option to have automatic sync when the phone is charging. This would be in addtion to the existing functionality for manual sync, and maybe even sync on app open.

This is helpful for anyone who wants to make sure the data gets in every day, but takes no intervention or battery life. It makes sure friends are getting updated information, as well as anything connected to the account, like Weight Watchers.

Of course, like the default behavior of all-day sync, the while-charging (while phone is charging) sync would be automatic, and not require us to open the app.

Possibly related feature suggestion: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Automatic-Daily-Sync/idi-p/1527936

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

A sync is a sync, all it will do is save a little battery. 

Im not sure if the advantage, the disadvantage is that I currently only sync about once a week.

Ill need to not only carry a cord, but a charging unit with me.

sophware
First Steps

While charging the phone. No additional cord or charging unit.

sophware
First Steps

While charging the phone, not the tracker. No additional cord or charging unit.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.