Dynamic retrieval and display of all daily nutrition values

Here is an opportunity for Fitbit project managers and developers to provide a greatly needed service to their device users, many of which would appreciate Fitbit’s assistance in managing their health.

Many of the users of Fitbit devices have real health issues and have to monitor different elements of their nutritional intake throughout the day. Other users have also voiced their desire to have a dynamically viewable recap of just where they stand at any point in the day.

Individuals with heart issues quite often need to be aware of their sodium intake or risk heart failure. And if truth be told, everyone else should be a little more aware of their sodium intake, as well.

Diabetics and pre-Diabetics need to keep abreast of their sugar intake throughout the day, not just at the day end. And for anyone wanting to lose a little, or even a lot, of weight should be watching their sugar intake, because what sugar cannot be used by muscles gets stored as fat.

Many people are literally afraid to eat out with friends or family sometimes because they are not positive about their current daily intake of a particular nutrient. Many spur-of-the-moment social opportunities are lost because they don’t know their current sodium or sugar totals for the day.

Why not, from the food log page of the Fitbit app have the Macronutrients icon be a touchable hotspot that would display this:

Daily Totals.png

The data in the graphic represents my actual intake on 1/19/2018 with the exception of vitamin and other base elements, but all of the information is available for quick retrieval from the Fitbit servers. And to quote Fitbit, “Your data belongs to you!”

I personally would be quite happy if that is all that was done, and as a first release it would be great. But it would be totally feasible to incorporate other requests for allowing the entry of target values for many of the nutrients shown in the label above. Values such as Calories, Carbs, Protein and Sodium. A new column next to “% Daily Value” called “Your Target” or just “Target” could be added.

Thank you Fitbit for having the Custom Foods creation capability that allowed be to create a food that actually represents my booked food totals for 1/19/2018.

Moderator Edit : Labels

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
236 Comments
Paul.K
First Steps

I would like to see the app separate fat into saturated and unsaturated.  My school of thought does not frown on unsaturated fats, and I would like to be able to see how much saturated vs unsaturated I am consuming on a daily basis to further improve my diet.

SBraybrooke
First Steps

Why can I see cardio fitness on my iOS app but not on the web site? I asked the question on Fitbit chat support, and was told "the developers don't want it on there" which seems a crazy response. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your idea with us @SBraybrooke

Let's see what other users have to say about having the Cardio Fitness Score on the website Dashboard.

karaabjohnson
First Steps

I would like carb fat and protein totals in the app rather than percentages

karaabjohnson
First Steps

They are on the website but It would be 100% more efficient on an app

mgetto
First Steps

yes please

A-Train
Recovery Runner

I wish that Fitbit would put the cardio score feature in the online dashboard. I love to be able to see my score whenever I log on to the Fitbit dashboard since that is my primary way of looking at my data. It could be its own tile or in the heart rate data tile, I don't really care. I just don't see why owning a smart phone should be a factor in what features a person can access. Everyone should have the chance to use the feature since it is such a great way of seeing how much improvement you have made over time.

YES, DEFINITELY SUPPORT THIS FEATURE REQUEST!

I love Cronometer and I would like to be able to do all my tracking within the Fitbit app. Seeing my daily breakdown in percent is great but I prefer to know my amounts in grams. Doing the calculations myself takes away from the convenience of using an app to track my foods. I’d like to be able to set a goal and see a detailed breakdown if I clicked on each macro category as well as a full micronutrient section to ensure I hit my goal for certain vitamins and minerals.

DEFINITELY SUPPORT THIS FEATURE REQUEST!

I like to confirm I hit my goal for certain vitamins and minerals. I would also like to know my daily breakdown in grams instead of just percent. Doing the calculations myself takes away from the convenience of using an app to track this.

Degrazia
Jogger

Macronutrient totals show up in desktop dashboard  but not on the phone app. Please implement this on the iOS app so I don't have to check on the desktop. This really needs to be on the phone app since that's where most people track their foods.

Kayrog
Recovery Runner

First thing I did when I got the Fitbit app was try to connect it to Cron-o-Meter. I cant live without COM and I refuse to log all my meals twice. Its funny because I can connect COM to Fitbit but not the other way around so its completely useless, I want the food to come over. I was so upset they dont work with them that I came straight here to the forums. I really hope Fitbit partners with them. I know so many people use it, may more than some of those other apps. Maybe theres a reason we dont understand but I hope they change their minds. 

xhastedmomof2
First Steps

Totally agree!!! I would love to see all of that!! If we're going to get healthier, we need to make sure we're fueling our bodies the best we can! I want to see where I can improve my macros.

KStorm
First Steps

It's crazy to me that there is tracking for so many macros but FitBit doesn't support the tracking of sugar or saturated fats - two of the things people are trying to avoid the most and keep low numbers on. PLEASE consider adding splitting the "Fat" tracker into Saturated and Unsaturated Fat tracking and adding Sugar as well!

KStorm
First Steps

It's so crazy to me that there is tracking for so many macros but FitBit doesn't support the tracking of sugar or saturated fats - two of the things people are trying to avoid the most and keep low numbers on. It would be amazing if we could see grams for Saturated vs. Unsaturated Fats as wel as Sugar in our dashboard.

And speaking of that, I do most of my logging from my desktop at work so I can easily see where I am at with my macros, but when I get home and log dinner on my app or on the weekends away from my computer, I can't see that information. It's so frustrating to be out at dinner and want to know if I can have that beer or those fries or eat the bun on my burger, but I can't see how many carbs I've had that day. It would be so helpful to be able to access those macro numbers from the app and not just form your desktop.

PLEASE consider adding these features!!

KStorm
First Steps

It's so crazy to me that there is tracking for so many macros but FitBit doesn't support the tracking of sugar or saturated fats - two of the things people are trying to avoid the most and keep low numbers on. It would be amazing if we could see grams for Saturated vs. Unsaturated Fats as wel as Sugar in our dashboard.

And speaking of that, I do most of my logging from my desktop at work so I can easily see where I am at with my macros, but when I get home and log dinner on my app or on the weekends away from my computer, I can't see that information. It's so frustrating to be out at dinner and want to know if I can have that beer or those fries or eat the bun on my burger, but I can't see how many carbs I've had that day. It would be so helpful to be able to access those macro numbers from the app and not just form your desktop.

PLEASE consider adding these features!!

Dumbledoor
First Steps

I would love to see more information related to micronutrients related to raw foods. If the information is available from manufactures, then yeah. But for those of us that cook a lot from scratch, it would be beneficial to see more information related to a variety of amino acid and vitamin information than what is posted on labels.

fammgr
Jogger

The amount of cholesterol is required to be included on the nutrition facts label of foods, and 98 million Americans have excess cholesterol levels.  Excess cholesterol can lead to heart disease, the #1 killer of Americans.  So will FitBit ever be able to track cholesterol values like it tracks sugar and sodium values - which are also very important to health?

Can FitBit let us know if cholesterol tracking will be added to the food logging program soon?

Thank you!

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think! Robot Happy

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks @nlbundy for this suggestion. Keen to see if anyone else would find this interesting too?

@LizFitbit Yes. There are many of us that are requesting more customization with nutrient tracking. Despite new posts being created for it all the time, I feel as though we can’t get enough attention-grabbing votes on the suggestion. How can we push for this to be a real possibility in any upcoming update? 

colinsmith18
Recovery Runner

I'm another one that would love to see my saturated fat and sugar numbers daily. 

Suzeeeeee
First Steps

Come on Fitbit!  Get with the program and add these vital data points!!!

Vacationgirl
Stepping Up

Yes please... I am borderline for high cholesterol and my doctor told me if I can get it down I won't have to start taking medicine. I was hoping fit bit could help me with monitoring my daily intake but sadly I am manually tracking.   😞 

Diazmayte
First Steps

I too would love to see fitbit track cholesterol. ...I just found out I have high cholesterol and was looking to see if it tracked it but no.  So this would be a great ad on

arabellanyc
First Steps

I would like to see my total fiber in the app, as well.  I have a goal of 25-30g per day, and it's hard to track without that feature right now.  Thx!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.