Edit Exercise Duration if Forgot to Manually End

I often use my FitBit Charge HR to track my workouts in real-time, rather than entering them manually. However, while it is easy to remember to start the timer I often forget to stop it when I complete my workout. Later, then I sync my FitBit Charge HR with my dashboard, a workout that was actually an hour registers as 2 hours or more, depending on when I remembered to stop it. Unfortunately, I am not able to edit the length of the workout so that it is actually reflected in my dashboard. I can erase the workout and enter it manually but then I lose all the heart rate data. Two suggestions for the dashboard:

1) Allow edits to the length of workouts that are tracked real-time by the FitBit and synced with the dashboard.

2) When workouts are entered manually, pull in the corresponding heart rate data for the period of the workout.

Thanks!

60 Comments
nwilson678
First Steps

This is the most frustrating thing with my charge 2!! Why is being able to edit the length of a workout not already an option?  If you forget to end the workout makes the whole workout seem like a waste since ALL of the data will be skewed.  Fix this NOW please!

pcorning
First Steps

I vote for this too.  I quite often forget to stop an Exercise and its logged for much longer than it should have.

I've noticed the ability to edit Exercise start/stop time was added in the Windows 10 App.

Please add this functionality to the mobile apps and website dashboard as well.

Heiks
Recovery Runner

How many people have forgotten to switch off their fitbit at the end of a bike ride / hike / run?

Only to find you cannot edit it afterwards...that really screws up your stats and it is so easily done.

Please make it possible to do this.

Heiks
Recovery Runner

Hey Santifitbit moderator, please listen to so many people who want this feature and have been asking for years. If your competition can do it, why not you?

laketrashman
Jogger

I can edit my sleep data on my Iconic, but not an exercise. It would be nice to correct the data rather than reentering it and deleting the original. Occasionally, I forget to end an exercise and would like to correct the elapsed time, so my calorie count is correct. Since I swim some laps with a kickboard, I would like to add those laps, plus the ones the watch misses to my data, again hoping to have correct info without the hassle of totally entering correct data and then deleting the incorrect stuff.

Moondancer5
Recovery Runner

I see people have been asking for this for years—I just got a charge 2 and forget to hit the stop button a lot so far. It seems according to comments that it used to be an available feature—please bring it back!!! I’m sure most of the people who’d like to see it haven’t thought to add a vote here. Or forgot. After forgetting to hit the button.

Can I please vote for all the thousands of them too? In the words of Dr. Henry Jones Sr. (sorta) we wear fitbits so we don’t have to remember....

MikeMcK
First Steps

I’d like to know why this issue was posted 3 years ago, and moderators keep agreeing it’s a great idea, but still we have no solution!!

dscush
First Steps

I got a fitbit charge 2 recently, and I'm extremely upset that I can't go back and change the end time when I forget to end it manually. It's a HUGE pain point, and it blows my mind that it hasn't been fixed for three years now! Can we get a response from someone about this? What's the holdup?

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @brianeped and commenters, I know this has been a popular feature suggestion for some time so I'm happy to share an update that this has been developed, although currently for iOS users only. iOS users are now able to edit end times for exercises logged with SmartTrack or exercise mode. Please test this out and let us know how it is!

I have started a new feature suggestion for Android users only here. Thanks for your continued patience.

MikeMcK
First Steps
Thanks for trying to fix this. However, the edit feature only allows one variable to be changed and that produces weird results.

For example, on treadmill I always run at a constant speed, so I know my pace. The only variable I am allowed to change now is the time. So when I change the duration to what it should be, the distance and pace both appear to change. I should be able to change the duration and hold the pace, which should then adjust the distance accordingly.

Also, I’m not sure what happens to the distance if I forget to stop the timer when I’m done the treadmill. If I walk out the gym while the timer is running, walk to my car and drive away, is the fitbit still measuring distance as well as time?

Anyway, bottom line it seems like we should be able to hold either the pace or distance when editing the time.

--
Regards,
Mike McKeaney

Sent from my iPhone
dscush
First Steps

Why is there a new request for Android? The original request was not OS-specific. What kind of game are you playing here???

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@MikeMcK thanks for this detailed feedback. I see what you're saying, let me ask the team and get back to you.

@dscush You are right, the original request was not OS-specific but as this feature was released only for iOS users, I started a new thread for Android users so that their demand could still be represented (otherwise you'd be voting on a feature already marked as released). Fitbit is compatible across Android, iOS and Windows devices so you can use almost any smartphone. However, due to the complexities and differences of each OS, sometimes features are released at different times across platforms.

Moondancer5
Recovery Runner

This actually shouldn't be complicated, the whole exercise duration should be viewed as a film clip—we don't want the entire 2 hour movie to be compressed into a 90 minute film (you'd have to speed it up to fit the allotted time and throw off every measurement the fitbit took). We want to chop off the end of the clip. Like taking off the end credits. Like editing a video clip and saving it as a new, shorter version. Like ... seriously, this really is a simple concept.

Ladies & gents, I suggest setting an reminder, this is apparently going to take another few years, in spite of the fact that it's the first thing that comes up on this board when I start typing the question.

Come on, Fitbit! I'll bet Apple is reading this too....

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@MikeMcK I spoke with the engineering team and as you've established, the system was not redesigned to adjust pace or distance etc. I have created a new feature suggestion here to improve that: When-you-edit-start-end-times-for-exercise-automatically-adjust-distance. Please vote/subscribe on that for updates. For now, I will leave this suggestion as released as iOS users can indeed change the duration of exercise.

Note, this is a separate suggestion to adjust the exercise type itself on logged exercises. Thanks for your patience.

Bert4breakfast
Recovery Runner

I think it would be really useful to be able to edit the start/end time for a workout logged on the watch. (I have the ionic).

I use it to log indoor climbing, and often forget to end the activity.

A few times I have paused the activity before cool down stretching but not actually ended the activity until i got home, and this seems to leave the clock running too .

What I'm hoping for is the ability to crop the workout so it more accurately reflects when I was doing a specific activity. 

There must be many activities where messing about with a watch as you begin is a fuss and distracts from the activity at hand, especially if you need focus or are competing. 

I hope this would be relatively easy implementation, ie, have sliders over the heart rate / time graph, move them to the correct place, hit save, data is cropped around those timestamps.

Or, as a less graphical method, you could input start / end timem, eg start at 0:0:20, end at 1:30:00.

Screenshot_20181220-003327.png

Screenshot_20181220-003307.png

CSteel
Jogger

Users who start tracking an exercise from their Fitbit device can only delete those exercises, and cannot edit the duration. That can lead to inaccurate information if we subsequently forget to stop the tracker (i.e. it runs overnight). 

We can edit manually entered exercise sessions, so it seems odd.that we cannot edit tracked exercises as well. 

CarolineCh
First Steps

Ability to edit exercise on the appthat you've recording using the fitbit for those occasions you start tracking and then forget to stop it!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @CarolineCh, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

Bigmik1021
First Steps

On my charge 3, I'm pretty good about remembering to start workouts, but I often forgot to end them. It would be nice if the app let me change the end time of these workouts.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Bigmik1021, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

Darrengw
Stepping Up

The ability to edit an activity after it has been recorded was originally requested almost 6 years ago! Along the way something was done to make this sort of possible for certain activities, but this isn't good enough.  The request has been closed as there are 'currently no plans to add this', yet there has been demand and requests for this since it was originally raised. Come on?

We all make mistakes and having the ability to change the activity type because the wrong one was selected, or the duration as we forgot to end the activity means that our activity records can be relied upon and used for accurately tracking what we've been doing.  Please re-open and/or consider making this available either through the dashboard or app.  Both would be ideal, but at least on the dashboard if that's an easier option.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Darrengw, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see edit exercise duration if forgot to manually end it. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released" for Android users. You can learn more about it here. Keep adding these suggestions.

rachloh
First Steps
On the workout part of the app I noticed that if I start a workout on my Fitbit that I can't edit it. and it doesn't auto stop and the time frame can't be edited. There have been plenty of mornings that I'm in a rush to get out the door after working out and forget to hit pause and finish before getting ready for work.
Cirrus147
Jogger

There is another thread I saw on this

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @rachloh, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to edit exercise duration if forgot to manually end them. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released" for iOS users. You can learn more about it here. Keep adding these suggestions.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.