Emergency Contact Button or SOS Call (or sound)

As a woman, walking, running and biking alone can be dangerous. Is it possible to have an emergency alert button that shows the contact of my choice or the authorities a location and SOS signal? The Gear 2 has it in place and I loved it. You push a button 3 times to send the alert.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

137 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
How do I set it up on the Fitbit ionic?

Sent from my iPhone
Milocat
First Steps

Add the feature of when a button is pressed 3x quickly in a row, it will send a SOS text to a designated number, such as your spouse.

Sara0323
First Steps

I am new to the Fitbit community and I love the suggestion about the SOS text. 

But the find my phone feature is also a must ! 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Milocat! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

LZeeW
Ultramarathon Racer

All kinds of users use Fitbit.  I think this is a great idea.  My phone isn't always in reach. 

brolifen
First Steps

I only registered just so I could upvote this feature request as this has been open for a couple years now.

This is not a feature people will use daily or is a neat thing to have but is almost a life saver in situations like health emergencies, robbery, sexual assault, accidents...

Would be cool to press the button 3 times and send out emergency call/messages to a list of people. Heck most countries have an sms number to send emergency messages to meant mainly for deaf or mute people that cannot talk on the phone. So even a simple SMS to this service can save your life. 

Both Galaxy watches and Apple watches had this for a while hope to see this in fitbit devices too.

GlassHalfAsleep
Recovery Runner

So I agree with this as well, but I think we need to realize some limitations of certain trackers. Example: Versa doesn't ha ENT GPS and it uses your phone GPS. So to make the request a bit more descriptive from what I see we need GPS enabled Watches like the Ionic to have a push button ability that would send SOS and location, but for the Versa, you could have one that send location and message but using phone location. Although I agree this is something Fitbit could implement, there are some workarounds currently possible. There is a Versa app called Web Triggers that could be setup using IFTTT to perform similar tasks. Still not ideal, but it's a plausible with the following:

Download IFTTT

Connect to Send SMS

Create new applet with IF Webhook (give event a name)

THEN connect to SendSMS to send a text. 

I'll try to add more information once I have everything setup on mine and I'll add a screenshot of the text message also. More to come! 

Sara0323
First Steps
Hi!
Is this not available for the charge 3?
Deb0007
First Steps
Thanks for the reply. My thought wasn’t even that elaborate - I’d like to see the Versa start out with an emergency info page containing a contact number and perhaps allergies. This would be such an easy update.

Sent from my iPhone
mar203
First Steps

It would be great to be able to call for help in an emergency if you did not have access to your cell phone. 

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @mar203, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

Mollym440
Jogger

This is a wonderful idea.  Not only for walkers and runners, but also seniors who live alone.  Would live to see this implementation with the charge 4 or others. Thank you!

Ms.Diva
First Steps

I would really rather stay with Fitbit because I love the platform so much better than Apple watches, but I have seriously considered switching back to Apple Watch just for the fall alert and 911 capabilities. I am a single woman, fall risk, and could have used this twice in the past year. 

CarlySteffen
First Steps

I am making the suggestion because I sometimes sleep through the rumble from the alarm.

Status changed to: New
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@CarlySteffen Thank you for your suggestion about making Fitbit alarms audible.

I moved it to this thread to keep this board organized and because it is the same idea.

Little_ASG
First Steps

There must be a option to call few saved phone number directly form fitbit watch.

if I get the whatsapp call , i must have a function to pick the call from fitbit or atleast show the notification of if someone is calling via whatsapp. 

And 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Little_ASG! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

BryanMahendra
First Steps

I love the new FitBit 4.1 and the new "Smart Wake" feature... and I know the idea of the SILENT "VIBRATE" ALARM is standard here across all devices (since the don't have in-device speakers).

But after all this time, could you also add (an optional):

1. Sound Alarm (from the phone/tablet speakers): that triggers on normal alarms/smart wake alarms
  2. (with an option of gradual volume increase, picking your own ringtone/music)

Reasoning:

• At my "worst sleep schedule" a.k.a. tired but only have 4.5 hours = the usual vibrate won't do, since I will just doze it off/don't feel a thing --> so a "sound alarm is needed"
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @BryanMahendra, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

ThoseEyes
Jogger

I had Flex and a Pebble. I currently wear an Alta HR. I've been looking at the ads for the "latest and greatest", but none of them (so far) have the feature that would get me to buy a new tracker, an SOS feature. There are lots around for children, but what about for adults???

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ThoseEyes, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

ThoseEyes
Jogger

Apple's had an SOS feature for years, I know because the emergency response folks in my area suggested it. People have been asking here for a long time, I would have thought that the integration of the Pebble team would have made this happen by now. It's a question which comes up frequently in various other places too, even Amazon.

Nehashri
First Steps

I can't believe that such an important security feature hasn't been implemented yet. It's been more that a year since this request has been opened!

This is an extremely important feature especially for women who are working out alone. A simple message to an emergency contact can help a lot. Other features like live tracking can come in later on, but I would like to have a way to let emergency contacts know about an SOS situation is must have in any fitness device. 

Aprila333
Recovery Runner

Please add this!!! It could potentially save lives!

Moderator edit: format

Moderator edit: all-caps

ThoseEyes
Jogger
For clarification, a single button to reach out to emergency services with
the option to enable or disable location services.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.