Export Heart Rate Variability (HRV) Data

Please enable the exporting of HRV data either for preset or custom periods.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

30 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @YOWLeonard, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about export Heart Rate Variability. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

YOWLeonard
First Steps

@YojanaFitbit thank you! Guess I'm curious as to how many votes a suggestion may need before it is considered? I'd really love this ability and I'm sure so many others would as well. Plus, from a medical perspective, it can be a vital trend to view history for, not just in training and recovery.

Thanks again!

joshi77
First Steps
Hi,
Except for sleeping HRV, no other data of HRV is exported to app.

Please allow HRV measurements for custom periods and allow exporting the data to app.

Regards,
**ahem**al
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @joshi77, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to export Heart Rate Variability (HRV) Data. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

tkdnutter
Jogger

Heart rate variability is one of the reasons I bought the fitbit sense, however, it is hard to find the heart rate variability. How do I find it? I have a premium subscription. 

YOWLeonard
First Steps
Hello - I have a Versa 2 and with my remind subscription the HRV can be
found under the Health Metrics menu when you open the Fitbit app.

Hope that helps!
mikemax717
First Steps

I agree on HRV data transfer to Dr. Very important to be able to communicate critical health data.

Semvn
Base Runner

This would be very advanced and cool, same with Sp02 on the Charge 4. However, don't make the mistake that Garmin made by returning unreliable measurements. For instance, the variation pattern may be interesting without measurements being precise.

mikemax717
First Steps
I cannot get the ECG to PDF and transfer, can you???
Semvn
Base Runner

No, I have the Charge 4, it doesn't have ECG, but I would guess that's not required for HRV.

PiranitaGomez
Stepping Up

I noticed recently that it's actually possible to export some processed data related to HRV from the web dashboard, including the "Heart Rate Variability Details" and "Heart Rate Variability Histogram". You need to use the "Export Archive" feature at the bottom of the data export page. I think these data, despite of not being raw signals, could somehow spice up the analysis when pulled together with other categories of data 😉

Below is from the "Heart Rate Variability README.txt" file. 

The "Heart Rate Variability Details" files include 5 minutes granularity recordings of your HRV during a sleep. The description for the values of each row is as follows:

- timestamp: the start of the 5 minutes interval for which the following values were computed
- rmssd: "root mean square of successive differences" - the square root of the mean of the squares of the successive differences between adjacent beat-to-beat intervals
- coverage: the number of data points in the interval, multiplied by the mean beat-to-beat of the interval in seconds and divided by the number of seconds in the interval (300 seconds)
- low_frequency: measures long term variations in heart rate and reflects activity from both the sympathetic and parasympathetic branches
- high_frequency: measures short term variations in heart rate and captures parasympathetic activity

The "Heart Rate Variability Histogram" files include histograms that shows the spread in the beat-to-beat intervals for your sleeps:

- timestamp: the wake time
- bucket_values: 29 bins grouping and counting the similar beat-to-beat durations during your sleep. The bins interval is 0.05s, and the bins start at 0.3s. E.g. 0.3s, 0.35s, 0.4s, etc

The web API hasn't really evolved much since 2018 but the export feature of the web dashboard has been improved so much that it seems we can now export more variety of data (not in terms of data granularity though) from the web dashboard than using API. 

tkdnutter
Jogger
This is great information
Thanks
Stay safe and be healthy
David
trailrunner.at
First Steps

@YojanaFitbitcan't believe there is no full export of tracked HRV and other health data, eg. Sp02 - this is more then disappointing! technically this is not an issue at all.

is it possible to access this data via the SDK? any other way?

-t

emmaness
Jogger

I too bought the Sense for the HRV to monitor my health and wellbeing. I can't access dynamic HRV data, only average overnight reads. This cannot be logged for longer than a month which doesn't allow for trends to be followed. I also cannot access the HRV read from the EDA scan. HRV data seems to be a real blind spot with the Sense. It clearly makes HRV a selling point but does not back it up with access to the data! This is poor.

tkdnutter
Jogger
Well said. 
I think that if we are all disappointed with this lack of information then we should ask Fitbit to add it.
mikemax717
First Steps
I would like to see the data improved with better analysis and easier to understand.

Mike Oldenburg
emmaness
Jogger

I would like to be able to view HRV in the app in the same way you can view HR. This should include the measurement taken in EDA scan which currently is inaccessible. 

mikemax717
First Steps
I agree, any improvement on data analysis and exportability would be a great addition.
Cristoforo
Jogger

Please Fitbit make HRV data exportable and give us the ability to view trends over time, HRV trends are only available till 1 month, why this limitation? Why cannot we export it to an excel sheet to effect correlation analysis with other factors? 

mikemax717
First Steps
Agree

Sent from my iPhone
brad1989
First Steps

Sadly I have left Fitbit due to this issue. The trackers are great but locking the data generated by a bought and paid for device behind a subscription is unacceptable. As is refusing to allow access to that data via the SDK. Having a paid subscription for supplementary content is fine but not for the primary data that the device was purchased to monitor. 

Semvn
Base Runner

Hopefully after the takeover by google their Google Data Liberation Front will work its magic and not hide away data to lock customers in a subscription service. Our body, our data. Ask whatever you want for the measurement tools, but not for getting the data from it. Imagine back in the days the yardstick came with a servant to read it out for you, who you'd have to feed three time a day. That's not a business model - it's madness and theft.

MattGi
Jogger

The 90 day limit on the HRV view isn't adequate if you are trying to make/monitor longer term changes in HRV.  For instance I have no idea what mine was 6 months ago.  Like others, giving this metric a chance was one of the primary reasons I renewed my subscription last year.

If exporting isn't possible, even just the same graph view as most of the other variables would accomplish this ability - and your "personal range" wouldn't be needed to look at trends over a longer timeframe (not sure if that range would be a concern with just taking the current view and extending it backwards)

Dsparky
Jogger

I too will be leaving Fitbit for their non responsiveness in responding to customer suggestions on improving their product. The rest of the world continues to innovate, evolve, and improve while Fitbit is content with the status quo 

drjonaslenzi
Jogger

Fitbit performs data hijacking.
premium bundle is the value required for returning our processed data.
My raw data is not available. They keep them kidnapped in a cloud captivity.
I WANT ACCESS TO MY RAW DATA

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.