Find my Fitbit (track location of device through app)

The other day I didn't have my band on right and my Fitbit fell off in my car. I searched for about an hour before I realized where it came off at.. The ability to track the location of your Fitbit through your iPhone would be awesome. (Kind of like the find my iPhone app, only a little more precise) Skip a few heart attacks 😉 

Thank you! 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

150 Comments
Mhallkc
First Steps

It would be really cool if the app could have the ability to locate/find a lost Fitbit. I know this can be accomplished with 3rd party paid apps, but why can't that same functionality be built into the Fitbit app?

Moderator Edit: Labels

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I believe this can be very helpful to all of us @Mhallkc, thank you for sharing your request. It's true, there are other ways to find a lost tracker, however, what better to use the Fitbit app. I will send your idea to our developers so they can take it into consideration.

Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum. Thanks!

hak22
First Steps

You should be able to locate your fitbit based on the serial number, not just syncing.  I lost my fitbit two days ago and I was attempting to find it with the gps locator when I gave up and called the corporate office for help.  I was informed that My Fitbit had been disconnected from my account and placed onto another account.  Considering the fact that it has a gps and a serial number, I know it is possible to find it however fitbit would not assist in the process.  I was told that I would get 20% off of a new fitbit.  The product fell off of my wrist and now I have no way of finding it.  Having this product for about 2 months and spending $100 on it was NOT worth it.  I will never buy another fitbit unless something changes and I will also deter my customers from buying this product.  Customer service is no help and offered 0 options for recovering this product that has an active gps on it.  Not ok fitbit.  Make a more reliable product.

Michael
5K Racer

@hak22 The Flex does not have GPS in it...

siobhan58
Jogger
I lost my fitbit 7 days ago. At first I thought it fell behind night stand or I misplaced it. But I recently added running during part of my walking routine and I believe it fell off. Bummed:(
Midgenurse
First Steps
I lost my fit bit one had it on my jeans and must have fallen off whe I went to restroom at a restaurant when I realised it was gone went back to the and tried to sync it and someone must have found it and taken it if they try to hook it up will Fitbit know it's mine and refuse???
GordyInMA
Recovery Runner

@Mhallkc wrote:
It would be really cool if the app could have the ability to locate/find a lost Fitbit. I know this can be accomplished with 3rd party paid apps, but why can't that same functionality be built into the Fitbit app?

I haven't heard anything about this idea. I definitely feel the same.  I should think that adding something like a "find my fitbit" option should be simple.  Just use the silent alarm feature, and have alarm for a longer period... like 2 - 4 minutes. The user would have the oppion on how longh it would vibrate.

Trying to use it now as is is very limited, as you only have a few minutes to attempt to find it!

Jeff_G
Recovery Runner

There should be an option to disable a lost or stolen Fitbit.  I understand the Fitbit would have to be synced to know it was lost and someone can use it without linking it to an account.  However, if someone does try to link a lost/stolen Fitbit to thier own account it should disable it and possible show them contact information of the owner.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

A security system could be made, so when it's linked to the account, it stays linked to the account. When removing from the account from within the account, it be required to confirm a verification email send by Fitbit to unlink the tracker from the account or sending a confirmation code to the phone..

This would make possible theft useless, since not being able to link to another account without confirmation by the actual owner of the tracker.

When a tracker would be lost, this encourages more to contact Fitbit so the tracker can be returned to the owner since not being able to use for personal use (it needs to be linked to a account when wanting the full benefits.

Shedfit
First Steps

I am hoping Fitbit will come up with an addition to the app such as "Find my Fitbit."

I was very disappointed to lose my Fitbit. I had recently been wearing it as loosely as possible due to increased skin irritation, and I can only think it unhooked and fell off due to this, as it was not as easy to secure.

This likely happened when I was taking out the recycling, so I am afraid it's really gone. However, having a "find my fitbit" would have saved me hours of angst and time running around with a blue tooth tracker (which was useless in this instance) as recommended on the Fitbit site.

Hope these issues will be remedied soon as it's a fabulous product, which I really enjoy.

Vsawyer
First Steps
Fitbit needs to develope an app that will find your lost Fitbit. I lost several and as we all know they are not cheap. The app should tell you the location of your Fitbit and you should be able to make it alarm so that you hear it when close by.
HomestarRunner
First Steps

I think it would be nice to see a "Find My Fitbit" function added to the app; when pressed, it would send a signal to the Fitbit device causing it to vibrate for a few seconds (similar to an alarm). The devices are fairly small and easy to misplace, so this could be an easy way to improve user experience.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

in the app store, search for someting as "bluetooth finder", "bluetooth scanner".

assuming you know where can be your Fitbit, nearly 10 meters, and it's powered.

else, no way.

vle045
Runner

I agree with this.  It needs to be able to send an alarm to the Fitbit.  If I had this feature, I would have been able to prevent sending my Fitbit through the wash so many times.  Sometimes you know where it is.... you just don't know where it is.  Woman Wink

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

how to send an alarm when the battery is down or the bluetooth range is out ?

the only way is to implement wifi or 3G/4G,but you will have to charge it twice a day, and the Fitbit will be bigger and expensive.

my Surge has only 2 locations : 

1) on my arm

2) on charge

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

You should be able to send an alarm to it if it if within Bluetooth range. I've never misplaced mine, but I can imagine the panic. Even just a vibration like it does with the alarm clock. 

vle045
Runner

I have thought of that when I have lost my Zip.  Unfortunately, it goes in to a sleep mode and you have to tap the Zip in order to wake it so that you can sync any changes to the settings (such as alarms).  So you are kind of stuck.   Since you can't find it, you can't tap it to wake it, so you can't sync it in order to send a vibration or alarm.  :-(.   That might be different with other models, but i seem to only lose the clip on ones.  🙂

Akraaijeveld
Recovery Runner

There is an app for this 🙂

vle045
Runner

I haven't found an app that actually works for this.  What have you found that works?

haileyreffitt
Jogger

Find my Fitbit works

CS51
First Steps

Lost my Alta:

How to make it so when I get a new one that the clasp stays clasped?  I love the new leather bands and bought 2 of them so I  could change it up.   The clasp is not a safe secure way to keep these on.   

vle045
Runner

@CS51.  I have purchased bands from Amazon and Wal-Mart.  They have the Silicone bands with a buckle instead of the snaps.  I also got a metal bracelet type band from Amazon.  So far, both are sturdy...

Deeknits
Jogger

I just got mine this week and it popped off my wrist today, only had it for 4 days. I wish there was a "locate my fitbit" app, I'd have it by now. 

tedhowell
Base Runner

Clearly a big need here. Many posts and suggestions. Not getting the feeling that Fitbit is listening. I've posted the same below suggestions in multiple similar topics. Repeating here to reinforce the demand level.

Here are my suggestions to Fitbit.

1. Do not allow a Fitbit that has been reported as lost to be paired to a new account

2. Notify a user who is trying to pair a known lost Fitbit that it has been lost and offer to provide a prepaid envelope to return it to Fitbit.

3. Even go so far as to allow users who have lost a Fitbit to post a reward for it's return, all done annonymously 

4. Program the Fitbit app and devices to work like the other bluetooh trackers on the market. Users could opt in to help other users if they lose their Fitbit. Imagine at the airport a notification pops up "A Lost Fitbit has been spotted near you" It would be a fun game to play - Find the Fitbit! If there were rewards it would motivate players and unite a community of Fitbit users. Instead we have a dark and almost criminal community that encourages people to essentiall steal a Fitbit.

Rodlie
First Steps

I saw similar things, but not this exact one. I have one of those 3rd party apps to help me find the approximate range, but there's been at least one time, in which I have not been able to find it at all, and you guys sent a replacement. I lost it outside. Can you guys add a sharp 'lost' tone to help people find it when it's lost? I know, some hardware changes would need to be made, I believe, but think about what you'd save if you didn't have to replace so many lost Fitbit Ones? 

As a template, please check out one of the Tile App devices: https://www.thetileapp.com/

I have one. It produces a surprisingly loud sound, which is very effective. Please add this feature.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.