FitBit support for Android Wear devices

Please add support for Android Wear devices to the Android Fitbit app like you did for the iPhone 5S and HTC One M8. 🙂 The current Android Wear devices (LG G Watch & Samsung Gear Live) all include step counters.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

228 Comments
ETerminator
First Steps

I believe opening up the application API and turning it into a platform is Fitbit's way for getting out of the stall it is at to scale. Currently, Fitbit is stuck in the realm of being a hardware manufacturer. In that realm, it is outnumbered and outwitted by its competitors of smartwatch makers. Given its userbase and position in the market, Fitbit was at some point seen as *the* fitness wearable company. If someone saw their friend wearing a fitness tracker they would tell them "is this a fitbit?. But this is fading away because Fitbit has been trying to remain a "pipeline" manufacturer rather than being a platform builder and they are not very succeeding at it.

By opening up the APIs and integrating with apps such as Android wear, Fitbit can become *the* platform of fitness wearables which is much more valuable with the scalability of its community and data rather than being limited to compete in the tougher grounds of hardware manufacturers and be limited to selling hardware.  

CarlyKHelton
Recovery Runner

I have the #Fossil #QWander #smartwatch and was #disappointed upon receiving and setting it up to realize it wasn't #compatible with #fitbit's #trackingsystem. I thought there would be a compatible #app #download to the watch where the watch would, independently from the phone, #trackmysteps. It runs on #Googlefit so that type of #integration would be what's needed, #androidwear I see this request began years back...any #statusupdate on this #topic?

honglong1976
Sprinter

Not going to happen.

To be compatible with Android wear would mean you don't need a Fitbit device. Fitbit need to sell those to make any money.

I would love the app for Apple Watch but not going to happen so I got a Flex 2 🙂

Vicky1703
Jogger

Yes please add! 

devendrababu
First Steps

Please add full integration with Google Fit to allow 2 way syncing of tracking data

MattFrom1972
First Steps
I've given up and moved on from Fitbit now. It was important to me a year
ago while all my Fitbit data was still relevant. Bye bye Fitbit.
--
------------------------------
Matt Simmons
thismatt@gmail.com
------------------------------
Clrcopy
First Steps
Sadly, I recently moved on as well, when I can get a Samsung smart watch
for a fraction of the cost of a fitbit, and it has all the same features
AND then some. I can now take calls, send leaves, amazing for $100. A new
blaze is $229 and barely does any of that.
SKShoe
First Steps

It is the software that makes the Fitbit.  There are always going to be bigger guys who can do the hardware better.  The sooner Fitbit Inc has an app for Android smartwear, the less likely they will be the next Blackberry.

anne101
First Steps

I would love to buy the Fitbit Ionic but it doesn't match well with Android at all. I feel that at this point with apple having all the same fitness tracking features in their smartwatches as Fitbit does that Fitbit should simply shift over onto Android Wear. If I'm going to pay a few hundred for a smartwatch I want it to be able to connect pretty seamlessly with my phone.

At the very least make the Ionic work as well with Android as with iPhone

chikachic817
Jogger

Please add support and develop a way to use fitbit with android wear. I've used fitbit since late 2015, started out with charge, then it was replaced with the charge HR when the band separated, and have since used it daily. However I just purchased a Fossil Q Wander for ~$100 and I do not want to wear two devices. So unfortunately my smartwatch would win for daily use since it performs more functions outside fitness related things for the price point. I chose the charge HR based on the price/function for my budget. I would love for both devices to be able to communicate data so that if I wear my charge HR for workouts and then switch to my Wander when I go to work or I'm running errands, one could pick up where the other left off after data is synced to the app, so I could still reach my daily step goals. 

I understand that Fitbit still needs people to buy their devices, so maybe they could come up with a compromise of a structure where people can add multiple devices to their account. If they already own a Fitbit device, then they can get the app for free and people that would like to use the app without owning a Fitbit device pay a monthly fee of some sort for access to the app. This feature request has been open for years with people still commenting on it so hopefully it can be taken into consideration.

Seemark
Stepping Up

Please add my vote. I still use my Aria scale and would love to integrate my Android Wear 2.0 data from Google Fit to the Fitbit console. I would be open to a small (one-time) or smaller (annual) fee. Thank you.

Seemark
Stepping Up

I still use my Aria scale and would love to integrate that data with my Google Fit data to the Fitbit console.

MattFrom1972
First Steps

I'm another one who has moved on.  I feel like Fitbit has lost a huge opportunity.  My Fitbit data is so old now I have lost interest in ever trying to incorporate it into my Google Fit and will not be using a closed system like theirs again.  At least using a more generic experience like Google Fit I will have more options in the future.  Goodbye Fitbit.  #unsubscribed

Beardsman
First Steps

Hey, Fitbit. I can entirely understand wanting to lock down the Fitbit app for use with only Fitbit devices. Honestly, out of all the fitness trackers I've used, the Fitbit app has the most useful set of data and the best overall UX. So, since seems to be among the best trackers, it makes sense that you would want people to use your devices to access your service. 

The issue I end up having, though, is that I don't want just fitness tracking in my wearable; I want smartwatch functionally as well. However, I also don't want just generalized smartwatch functionally; I want the best integration I can get for my device. In my particular situation, I strongly prefer Android Wear, however, Google Fit definitely is not the best for fitness tracking. 

With all the current offerings, I would have to either have two devices – one for tracking and one for smartwatch functions – or I would have to compromise in one of those areas. So, my "feature request" is that Fitbit put out an Android Wear powered Fitbit tracker. The current Fitbit smartwatches aren't on the level of convenience or integration as Wear is with Android, but none of the current Wear fitness tracking options are up to the quality and convenience of Fitbit. So, Fitbit, please put out an Android Wear Fitbit – I would happily give you my money for this product. Thank you.

Rosierunner
Recovery Runner

I'm getting the Michael Kors smart watch and I don't want to wear two step tracking devices. I wish I could sync the steps from the android wear app into the fitbit app. If this isnt something that will be done then I will have to regretfully leave the fitbit community. 

Smapnux
First Steps

Hi there,

this topic shows clearly a "Uber moment" in the life of the Fitbit company.

I mean, moving from a product company (selling hardware) to a service one (adding value to customers with data).

Like many customers in this thread, I am looking to other great android wear smartwatches and I know that I won't be able to resist a long time to theses... Now the question is : "What is the strongest thing that connect me to Fitbit ?" Of course data, not devices !

Conclusion, Fitbit should definitely move asap to an hybrid model (hardware + data service for non fitbit devices).

And please, carefully read all the post, we are ready to pay for this service !

Hope to have good news in the near future...

Smapnux

Poostix2003
Recovery Runner

OK whats happening with this as my HR is on its last legs after 2.5 years roughly and I want a smart watch that can do a bit more than the Fitbit Ionic can and I can get one for about half the cost. If its never going to happen then please let us know then we can make a decision, this had been running for 4 years now with no real feedback.

A simple yes its on the list, or no we are not even thinking about it.

Rosierunner
Recovery Runner

I don't think anyone from Fitbit actually reads these posts! They will regret it when everyone switches to smart watches and they go bust!

danwms
Base Runner
Bet bet is to vote with your feet.

There are plenty of other services that do work with smart watches.
Jennpops
First Steps

My husband bought me a Michael Kores watch since my work has a strict dress code. I put my Fitbit Blaze on as soon as I can. I would like to to be able to track total steps, calories..ect..on one app. I would like it to be Fitbit because I am very comfortable with it and it is does everything I need with ease. Any chance of this happening? Please. 

jakub.zajic
First Steps

It is quite frustrating that Fitbit wasnt able to pair the watches with one of the most used platforms. The Fitbit app is ok, but than I have Google Fit that pairs with other devices, things got doubled.  No wonder the company is not doing great recently - no integration with other services, poor appstore, ...

Seemark
Stepping Up

Just for the helluva it, adding another vote to pay to use the Fitbit App. How good would it be to integrate my Android Wear device with my Aria scale to the Fitbit App. See what I am saying? I use one of your devices, just happens to be your scale. I have had two HR’s so far and each failed. So I tried an Android Smartwatch (Movado) and kicked up my hardware a notch. Did I mention I am willing to pay to add my device to your App? In case someone from Fitbit reads this, here is yet another extra vote, I AM WILLING TO PAY a “license” fee to include a non-Fitbit device with my Fitbit (Aria) device for access to your App. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MaginB
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Tazfiend
First Steps

I loved my Fitbit Blaze, but I've moved on to a Huawei Watch 2 Classic as it's a more complete smartwatch (and more stylish in my opinion). I'd still love the Fitbit app and how you use the data to inform me. I'd gladly pay a (small) fee to be able to use my Android Wear 2 watch with a Fitbit app.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you for your suggestions. We are always looking for ways you can use your data to support your health and fitness goals. For the past few years, we’ve been the leader in developing direct partnerships through our open API with hundreds of the most popular health apps, wellness programs, incentive systems, and other services that have enabled people like you to make the most of your products and data. In addition, the launch of Fitbit Ionic has given us the opportunity to allow third party developers to develop apps for the Fitbit App Gallery through our SDK, providing opportunities to offer even more features and apps to our global Fitbit community from our developer community.

With regards to your proposed integrations, we continue to evaluate new partners and will update you if we have news to share. Fitbit has a history of working with the community to bring potential features to reality, and we thank you for taking the time to share your ideas and suggestions.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.